• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Howe - back or forward?

old55

In almost every proposed 2015 22 posted Jeremy Howe is selected in the forward line. He played some good footy in the backline in 2014 after appearing completely lost in the forward line. When did he make the switch back - did I miss something? Which group is he training with? I think he's well-suited to playing in the backline and that's where I'd have him.

• Like 4

In almost every proposed 2015 22 posted Jeremy Howe is selected in the forward line. He played some good footy in the backline in 2014 after appearing completely lost in the forward line. When did he make the switch back - did I miss something? Which group is he training with? I think he's well-suited to playing in the backline and that's where I'd have him.

More involved in the back half.

Lots of intercept marks and spoils.

I like him back with a pinch hit forward if required.

I posted this in a thread earlier:

In my opinion, one of the biggest questions that will need to be answered this year is where do we play Howe?

He did very well in the backline position, providing not only great defensive pressure through smothers and tackles but also his more natural skills marking and disposal were really useful back there. Yet if we have the luxury to move him forward we might have the possibility of looking a bit stronger in our forward half and giving multiple options with Dawes, Hogan, [Pedersen] and even Watts meaning that there is less likely for the two defenders playing on Dawes which happened so often.

This will be important in the make up of the team, i think that initially he may start in the forward line with Grimes playing in the backline as they have some similar attributes (obviously Howe is a little more athletic and uses the ball a bit better) but i think Grimes is a more natural defender. If Grimes is not working in that role and spends more time playing as a tagger will we use Howe as a defender and then rely on the smaller/younger forwards to play (Salem, JKH).

Interesting prospect, i wouldnt mind two of the fella.

I personally think he might start Forward this year.

Edited by Whispering_Jack

I think he plays better footy down back. The required level of concentration seems to suit him. Up forward he goes missing for long periods & makes silly errors - e.g. dropping easy marks because he's not fully switched on. I also believe he is a pretty ordinary set shot for goal & often doesn't maximaise his opportunities.

That said, I'd like to see him trialled on a wing. He'd be a difficult matchup. Pretty much unbeatable in the air one on one. He can work back to help out in defence & provide another option as a kick-in target. He'd also be very dangerous drifting forward. My question on him in a wing role are tank & leg speed.

We lack genuine wingers & good ones e.g. Smith, Hill, Gaff etc make a huge difference to the way you can move & deliver the ball

• Like 1

And there is a little pre-season training grab of Howe from a couple of weeks ago talking about the team's progress and he makes reference to himself as a defender.

With the inclusions of Lumumba and Frost, and hopefully Garland finds some form, I'd play him forward.

He does go missing up there, but playing 3rd forward in our forward line, who wouldn't, the ball never goes in there. He'd benefit from an improving midfield, and Lumumba's high long kicks forward. And we simply need another marking forward, for me he's the best option at the moment.

• Like 3

Wing, high half fwd. he is bloody fit. wasted deep in forward line.

imagine having him on the wing one on one. T Mac has the ball under pressure in def 50. best bail-out kick there is. look for Howey, hack it in his general direction, he'll sit on the blokes head!

then hit up Hogan and BANG! GOAL!

• Like 1

Who says it has to be one or the other?

I don't have him in my starting 18, so from that, he'll need to hope for an injury in the back and/or forward half/ves, or add a midfield rotation to his bag of trick.

Well your starting18 would immediately be wrong. One of the first picked

His marking has been a useful asset in the backline, but it is kinda important up the other end of the ground as well..

Play him forward in the NAB and see how he goes. We need to find as many avenues to hitting the scoreboard as we can.

• Like 1

And there is a little pre-season training grab of Howe from a couple of weeks ago talking about the team's progress and he makes reference to himself as a defender.

Gets his hands on the ball in the back line where he didn't do it enough in the forward line. Defender for mine.

Swing man able to go between half back and half forward as required by the game (similar to Watts).

Can hurt one-on-one on the wing, get out kicks, and freaking defenders out when bombed into the forward line.

Howe would be a huge success on the wing, pretty much unbeatable in the air, has the ground skills, and last year showed he can provide the delivery; then there's the flexibility of him drifting back as 'third man up role' when required, or floating forward (like Bail) but with far more potential to be dangerous - If I was an oppossition coach I would hate this match up. From the training reports I believe he has the athleticism and fitness to provide this outside role. Put Vince on the other wing then you will have potentially two very dangerous players who cannot be given any space particularily around the 50-60m arc.

Coupled with Lambumba run from half back and Dunn and Jetta's delivery, transition from the back half to the forward half should improve significantly.

Also Howe on the wing will be as much a forward threat as in the forwards

• Like 4

More involved in the back half.

Lots of intercept marks and spoils.

I like him back with a pinch hit forward if required.

I instinctively agreed. But if you take a look into the stats, comparing 2014 to Howe's 2012, 2013:

2012: 16 disposals avg, 5.5 mks, 19 goals 25 behinds

2013: 13.5 disposalvs avg, 5.71 mks, 28 goals 16 behinds

2014: 17 disposals avg, 6.05, 5 goals 5 behinds

Now that's pretty basic stuff, but I'd argue that this probably suggests that Jeremy actually gets involved a lot when he's up forward and that's probably more valuable. 44 shots apiece in 2012 and 2013 will increase in a better side.

Edited by pitchfork
  • Like 1

I instinctively agreed. But if you take a look into the stats, comparing 2014 to Howe's 2012, 2013:

2012: 16 disposals avg, 5.5 mks, 19 goals 25 behinds

2013: 13.5 disposalvs avg, 5.71 mks, 28 goals 16 behinds

2014: 17 disposals avg, 6.05, 5 goals 5 behinds

Now that's pretty basic stuff, but I'd argue that this probably suggests that Jeremy actually gets involved a lot when he's up forward and that's probably more valuable. 44 shots apiece in 2012 and 2013 will increase in a better side.

It's not based only on kicks.

He's accountable and plays a better team game up back. Up forward he has been often not accountable and tends to play low % cute football.

I am more than prepared to sacrifice the sometime indulgent highlights reel if he is playing a more effective team style of game.

Edited by Qwerty30

Well your starting18 would immediately be wrong. One of the first picked

Thanks for your thoughts.

So, to respond correctly to the OP;

Backline;

Locked in - McDonald, Dunn, Jetta, Lumumba.

Next - Garland (probably someone who has Howe covered due to him being able to play small or tall a lot better)

Fighting for 6th spot - Howe, Frost, Grimes

Verdict - Could depend on what Roos wants to do with the likes of Toumpas. Could he get some confidence by playing in "the easiest position"? Some will have Frost as a lock, which would mean Dunn can play short(er) if need be.

Forwardline;

Locked in - Hogan, Dawes, Watts (HFF), Garlett

Next - 2nd ruck option (ie Pedersen, Gawn)

Fighting for 6th spot - Kent, JKH, Cross, Howe

Verdict - One HFF spot available. I personally like what Kent brings, and I loved what Cross brought (who may even be able to play HBF if need be).

When you have a centreline (ie 2 wings and one in the middle), then a ruck rover and rover, that is 5 onfield "midfield" positions (Jones, Vince, Tyson, Viney is 4), meaning we have 4 spots (ie 1 onfield mid, 3 on the bench), with Salem, Riley, Michie, Newton, Brayshaw, Petracca. That list would also include either Kent and/or Cross.

As you should be able to see, JH is far, far from one of the first picked.

For your benefit, I've bolded the players that I consider "first picked" - there are 17 players, plus Jamar (not mentioned above). All 18 (inc Jamar) have specific roles to play.

I have 4 spots left to fill my team, and that has to come from Toumpas, Riley, Michie, Howe, Newton, Brayshaw, Petracca, Frost, JKH, Bail, Matt Jones and Grimes - all players that could arguably fill the remaining spots in 2015. Most of those players could play HFF or HBF if need be.

That's my reason why I think you're immediately wrong for having Howe as a first picked player.

• Like 2

It's not based only on kicks.

He's accountable and plays a better team game up back. Up forward he has been often not accountable and tends to play low % cute football.

I am more than prepared to sacrifice the sometime indulgent highlights reel if he is playing a more effective team style of game.

It's two seasons up forward under Neeld, one down back under Roos. It seems like Roos is keen to move him forward, and I'll trust that he'll get the best out of him.

To be honest, apart from the marking, IMO Howe is a pretty conventional player (i.e. not outside the box, rather than avg) - he often provides a hard leading target from up forward.

The player who replaces Jeremy in our backline will do a comparable job. I'm not sure if anyone has quite the ability to do the same in the fwd line. Guys who kick goals are just very valuable - kicked 30 goals in one of the most depressing sides to play since 1859.

Edited by pitchfork
  • Like 2