• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFL National Draft 2014 Picks 2 & 3

Sigil

Speculation, speculation. Anyone else out there just have no faith at all that we will nail these picks?

Will we nail them? I don't know. Not even Hawthorn gets it right 100% But the team picking these lads isn't the same team that screwed up the picks of previous years.

I'm backing this team to get a lot more right than wrong otherwise I'd be demanding another change at the top.

• Like 1

There is more to a player then their highlights reel. I've got a feeling Roos likes him for his leadership skills and determination.

The best players in the comp aren't the quickest or biggest, they are the hardest working and that's what he brings.

Does that justify using a pick 2 or 3 on him though?

Pick 2 or 3 need to be Hamburgers with the lot.

mate, he's the second best midfielder in the draft other than Petracca and Heeney. Who else are we going to get? Be grateful

Edited by Moneider96

He does it all, wins his own ball, gets it on the outside, can kick either foot.

IMO we will take either Petracca and Brayshaw or Brayshaw and McCartin, depending on who St Kilda take. Got to go best available every time.

• Like 4

In the scenario that Petrecca gets taken at 1, I wouldn't be opposed to taking perhaps Tom Lamb with one of the picks.

Hes a 192 'utility', but from what I saw in his highlights he could be used as a tall midfielder/forward. He is great below his knees, clean hands, good goal sense, accurate by foot, he appears to have a load of skill and confidence.

He and brayshaw would be great midfield additions and he could go down forward also.

Edited by Deez

Brayshaw and Lever

If Petracca slides then it's Brayshaw and Petracca... If he doesn't slide, then it's Brayshaw and Lever...

Lever is the interesting one? Looked a clear number 1 pick last year, but due to injury hasn't been able to back it up... Collingwood seemed very eager to get another high pick this year and I'd say Lever is the reason... he's the Collingwood special...lol...if we don't pick him, he won't slide passed pick 5... I'd almost take him over Brayshaw, if Petracca slides...

Petracca will turn out to be a Colin Sylvia...He's too arrogant..

I think Sylvia's problem was laziness, not arrogance.

Petracca's been quoted saying some pretty cringe-worthy things, but cockiness isn't always a bad thing. Jack Darling was pretty similar back in his draft year and he's turned out just fine!

Petracca will go to the Saints anyway so I'm not too worried about him.

• Like 2

Petracca will turn out to be a Colin Sylvia...He's too arrogant..

Arrogance is often accused of people who are nervous or hiding something .

Cockiness- confidence players can be a double edge sword when down they down but it depends on ability and attributes and belief .

Carey had issues was a super cocky player - some would say arrogant

Swarta - some would say arrogant

Wouldnt mind a kid who had enough belief and ability to walk that line

• Like 2

I don't believe much of what we are hearing in the media. From what I can tell, I'd say we know that the Saints are taking McCartin at pick 1 and that Petracca will be there for us to pick on draft day.

My reason for believing this?

The Saints stitching us up on the Frost trade has all the hallmarks of a bit of payback from the Saints and Giants. I'd say we were successful in spooking the Saints away from downgrading to pick 4 to get Mcartin there via a trade with GWS for pick 1. I also believe that the Saints saying they will take Petracca is just another childish attempt to get pay back.

If this turns out to be the case, I'd be taking a midfielder and tall combination of either:

Petracca & Wright

or

Petracca & Lever

or

Petracca & Durdin

whats your preference in order of say the top 7 options open to us atmo ?

I like Petracca from the Vid's I just watched, but am concerned about his Ego & how that will effect his development? he may get a nasty surprise when he comes up against the Pro's.

Brayshaw looks composed but I didn't see him tested much in the Vid's. especially pressure on his disposal.still looks a bit outside.

Lever looks very competent in the defensive side but has he the weapons needed? pace?

Again, McCartin looked neat enough but underwhelming regards the pressure applied on him in those videos?

None I saw of this group seemed to have the pace we need thru the middle to add to the list, So Based on the write ups from B/F's phantom drafts,,, Knightmares, YoungTalentTimes & Paige Cardona's, I like the sound of Laverde, & liked the video of him as well, but he may be a development player, may need a little time?

So based on these guys (peoples) phantom drafts, they all pretty much agree on Brayshaw as the No 2 or 3...

so without going thru all the videos on the AFL website, I reckon = Brayshaw & Laverde.

Edited by dee-luded

There is more to a player then their highlights reel. I've got a feeling Roos likes him for his leadership skills and determination.

The best players in the comp aren't the quickest or biggest, they are the hardest working and that's what he brings.

Oh well & truly more than highlights reel, but you an see some things like the way they move, their gate speed etc. the way they kick, action, drop, their speed to get ball to boot, vision etc. body language & whether they look to go into the action.

And of course any polish they may have.

videos show a lot more than watching some footy.

Wright, Lever or Durdin

Why do we need to take 2 midfielders?

Seriously?

Those that want to take two mids know that we have the worst midfield in the league.

The worst, by nearly every metric, and the eyes of most MFC fans.

That is why posters want us to get two of the best three available midfielders.

• Like 2

Wright, Lever or Durdin

Why do we need to take 2 midfielders?

we don't have to, but we do need to add some fleet of foot & skills

but looking at a list I just cut & pasted down, I am surprised how light on we are for real quality grunt in-unders. Only Jones, & Viney still to shine. IMO we need to add to this quandary next trade period.

We need a true 'A' grade 1st touch ball extractor down at ground level.

couldn't we do with a 'Rockliff' right about Now.

Edited by dee-luded

whats your preference in order of say the top 7 options open to us atmo ?

I like Petracca from the Vid's I just watched, but am concerned about his Ego & how that will effect his development? he may get a nasty surprise when he comes up against the Pro's.

Brayshaw looks composed but I didn't see him tested much in the Vid's. especially pressure on his disposal.still looks a bit outside.

Lever looks very competent in the defensive side but has he the weapons needed? pace?

Again, McCartin looked neat enough but underwhelming regards the pressure applied on him in those videos?

None I saw of this group seemed to have the pace we need thru the middle to add to the list, So Based on the write ups from B/F's phantom drafts,,, Knightmares, YoungTalentTimes & Paige Cardona's, I like the sound of Laverde, & liked the video of him as well, but he may be a development player, may need a little time?

So based on these guys (peoples) phantom drafts, they all pretty much agree on Brayshaw as the No 2 or 3...

so without going thru all the videos on the AFL website, I reckon = Brayshaw & Laverde.

Petracca - Raging bull/ Freight train and no problem with his arrogance because he's aware of it.

Wright - Jamar's getting on and Gawn's an injury risk. We lost Clark and he has Clark like ability.

Lever - Actually looks like he has a bit of toe for a big bloke and classy. Pavlich?

Durdin - Liked him but probably out of contention since acquiring Frost - similar but with more class

McCartin - Already have one in Hogan. Can you have too many? Only reason not to pick him.

Laverde - A real dynamo that reminds me a bit of Matt Jones the way he uses his pace.

Brayshaw - An excellent nose for the ball and a good leader. His disposal worries me a little.

The video highlights are quite obviously doctored to suit someone's needs. Why on earth would they show highlights of players kicking behinds? See past it.

Seriously?

Those that want to take two mids know that we have the worst midfield in the league.

The worst, by nearly every metric, and the eyes of most MFC fans.

That is why posters want us to get two of the best three available midfielders.

I don't disagree.

The reason that I would use one of pick 2 or 3 on a tall is because the opportunity to recruit quality big guys don't come along anywhere near as often as they do with midfielders. This year the quality lies with the talls and I find that too hard to pass up.

You can find quality midfielders way down the order and it happens every year. Pick 40 should get us someone that other clubs are trying to hide away like we got with Dean Kent - a star in the making.

Pick 23 would have helped.

Edited by Roosy's Bruisers

just saw the Brayshaw video & I thought he looked good average hit targets but not tested. busy But?

I am one I think who's been caught in the media hype.

Not sure now re him.

the vids from this year leave a bit to be desired in the top players, not overly impressed with most.

I haven't watched the highlights video but have seen him live. He looks good, a level above the other tac cup kids. A clearance machine, dual sided and a strong body.

Does that count or are we only allowed to judge based on a short highlights reel?

Petracca - Raging bull/ Freight train and no problem with his arrogance because he's aware of it.

Wright - Jamar's getting on and Gawn's an injury risk. We lost Clark and he has Clark like ability.

Lever - Actually looks like he has a bit of toe for a big bloke and classy. Pavlich?

Durdin - Liked him but probably out of contention since acquiring Frost - similar but with more class

McCartin - Already have one in Hogan. Can you have too many? Only reason not to pick him.

Laverde - A real dynamo that reminds me a bit of Matt Jones the way he uses his pace.

Brayshaw - An excellent nose for the ball and a good leader. His disposal worries me a little.

The video highlights are quite obviously doctored to suit someone's needs. Why on earth would they show highlights of players kicking behinds? See past it.

who's better; Hogan or Mccartin?