Greatest Demonland myth of all time. If not for Goodes Sydney would have lost to Melbourne by 20 goals that day.

Not how I remember it. I am Mortons biggest critic but he played pretty well that day.

Pot Kettle...

"I'd avoid Indigenous players from remote backgrounds. "

I'd avoid white players from remote backgrounds with strong cultural and spiritual bonds to their communities as well if they existed. Barry, Jurrah, Skinner, Josh Simpson. There's too strong a go home pull. Josh Simpson from Freo last year had a family member get sick and had to drive back several times a week as part of the medicinal process. That's a way of life incompatible with AFL football and I stand by that.

It's far different from saying lets not draft Cockatoo because he's Indigenous he might do a Barry or Jurrah.

• Like 1

I'd avoid white players from remote backgrounds with strong cultural and spiritual bonds to their communities as well if they existed. Barry, Jurrah, Skinner, Josh Simpson. There's too strong a go home pull. Josh Simpson from Freo last year had a family member get sick and had to drive back several times a week as part of the medicinal process. That's a way of life incompatible with AFL football and I stand by that.

It's far different from saying lets not draft Cockatoo because he's Indigenous he might do a Barry or Jurrah.

He

Is

From

Darwin

A city with a population of 138,000 people

What if some think the club should use its 2nd pick?

Then they should get their head read, RPFC. I apologise if there is some sort of racial undertone here that someone will be offended by but Emma Quayle's article screams go home factor to me:

But mostly, he has other things on his mind. Four days after he turned 18 late last month, his baby brother was born, and since then he has been busy. He's been training near his home in Darwin, looking after his younger brother and sister and taking care of whatever else comes up.

"I've been walking the dog, looking after my mum, learning how to do the burping," he said.

Callum Twomey's rankings today have him at 24 due to the lack of exposed form.

No exotic bets with pick 3. We have to build the cake with a "safer" local bet like McCartin, Lever or De Goey.

Then they should get their head read, RPFC. I apologise if there is some sort of racial undertone here that someone will be offended by but Emma Quayle's article screams go home factor to me:

Callum Twomey's rankings today have him at 24 due to the lack of exposed form.

No exotic bets with pick 3. We have to build the cake with a "safer" local bet like McCartin, Lever or De Goey.

This convo is going around in circles. One last time....Forget SAFE. No such thing with draft choices. Scully was a local boy from Berwick...right out near casey fields. Take the players we think are going to develop into the best footballers. Not the best at age 18 or the highest ranked by the press at 18. If thats cockatoo....then Im sure the "go home" factor will be addressed in interview and gut instinct. For me pick 3 is cockatoo, Mccartin or lever. Unless we get Petracca.

• Like 1

He

Is

From

Darwin

A city with a population of 138,000 people

In the top right corner of any quote there is a little hooked arrow that redirects to the original post quoted. It's great for CONTEXT.

You'll see I'm replying to a poster who called me a hypocrite for calling out some of the racist posts.

I don't believe my view that I would largely ignore drafting guys from remote backgrounds to be racist, I see it as analytical. The success rate is just too low. And we don't seem to full grasp the cultural challenges, the family responsibilities and probably the biggest the spiritual differences.

Hence why I said at the end of my post "It's far different to not drafting Cockatoo". I've already posted saying I'm all for Cockatoo as he's from Darwin etc.

So we really don't need to start the entire argument again but just check what exactly you are replying to first.

You could mount an argument that the Hawks have won a couple of flags with racist drafting/trading.

They have ignored the right foot race, opting instead for the left foot race.

Hence why we will take Brayshaw as a dual sided gun to replicate Sam Mitchell! Throw in Kent, Viney, Newton, Tyson and Salem and we are starting to get somewhere.

Cockatoo is definitely a right footer, but seems confident swinging on to his left when needed in that (short) highlights video.

You could mount an argument that the Hawks have won a couple of flags with racist drafting/trading.

You could, but it would be a dumb argument. Like any employer, footy clubs are well within their right to choose their employees by skill sets relevant to the job.

Those would be the same left-footers who are forced to shake the right hands of all the dignitaries at the premiership ceremony, deferring to an ancient droitist prejudice.

• Like 1

North will take this kid at pick 16 if he is still there.

Not many players come back from 12 months off with injury and get BOG in a big game on the big stage.

Surely he was a bit rusty after such a long layoff.

If we assume that on average a player is about 25-35% off their best ability on return from 12 months out of the game then where would the pundits rate Cockatoo in this draft?

That 25 percent better than his return effort would put him in top 5 calculations I would suspect.

North will take this kid at pick 16 if he is still there.

Not many players come back from 12 months off with injury and get BOG in a big game on the big stage.

Surely he was a bit rusty after such a long layoff.

If we assume that on average a player is about 25-35% off their best ability on return from 12 months out of the game then where would the pundits rate Cockatoo in this draft?

That 25 percent better than his return effort would put him in top 5 calculations I would suspect.

An exhibition game against an under 17 line up is hardly a big game on the big stage.

• Like 1

An exhibition game against an under 17 line up is hardly a big game on the big stage.

Fair enough, although that's not the point I'm trying to put across.

Fairly big stage I would have thought though....

Edited by DeeMfc

Im confused on this issue a little re Cockatoo and the age levels of that game. We grabbed Watts at number 1 at age 17 didnt we? ( Im not sure about that) Didnt GWS trade 4 kids in a mini draft that were17 and under? Weren't Hogan and Omeara part of that group. Its a genuine question Im asking here. I thought those guys were rated in the way they were because of how they played in that 17 year old age group.....Cockatoo is only 18 isnt he? should we discount that game because of the age only. I cant shake the nagging feeling that he's going to be the real gun in this draft.

Im confused on this issue a little re Cockatoo and the age levels of that game. We grabbed Watts at number 1 at age 17 didnt we? ( Im not sure about that) Didnt GWS trade 4 kids in a mini draft that were17 and under? Weren't Hogan and Omeara part of that group. Its a genuine question Im asking here. I thought those guys were rated in the way they were because of how they played in that 17 year old age group.....Cockatoo is only 18 isnt he? should we discount that game because of the age only. I cant shake the nagging feeling that he's going to be the real gun in this draft.

When we grabbed Hogan he had a year to go and was playing against kids a year older. In this case Nakia is the older kid playing against younger kids with a year left in the system.

I haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion but I wouldn't oversell him on this game. He may well be the gun you see him as, I just hope our recruiters have a good feel for where he sits and make a good call.

• Like 2