Time is up for some players

All the Jacks

It may well be that some of the players playing today are there not because they have earned a spot but this is their final scrutiny as roos must realise that the list is a long way short of AFL standard. Damned awful today......

• Like 5

The problem is, who do we replace these guys with? Younger guys who will not be able to impact straight away? There's no easy fix here. Even if we delisted twenty, there's no certainty that those we replace them with will be able to impact next year. Undoubtedly, we need a big clean out though. I couldn't see it being less than ten players.

Edited by AdamFarr

We will know we are going nowhere if Roos keeps him, that goes for Grimes as well. I know he didn't play but we have to raise the standard of footballers we bring to this club

• Like 1

After yesterdays effort i'd happily take a pick in the 80's for Watts. He is embarrassing to watch.

After yesterdays effort i'd happily take a pick in the 80's for Watts. He is embarrassing to watch.

Play him @ fullforward he will kick goals. He is 2 lazy 2 play up the ground or in midfield.
  • Like 1

It will be interesting seeing what happens with Watts and if he falls into the category of non-believers that Roosy talks of.
All year long, PR and on occasion Bernie Vince have come into bat for him. However, watching him yesterday was frustrating beyond belief. The man doesn't run, he floats from contest to contest and if anyone has been tarred with the brush of 2008-2013, it would be him.

I thought last year it was time for Jack to move on as it would never work for him at Melbourne. We have had one year of him under Roos and he basically is the same player. I think we do need to trade him now and that is unqualified.

I agree play watts at FF but i would also put Max in the forward pocket leave dawes at CHF. Max should be told he is not to move more than 25 meters from the goal square but Watts should be allowed to wander around the forward 50 but not out side as 50 is his range. if we can get the ball into these guys hands more often we will score goals, it will also hopefully take some of the attention away from Dawes who must be pretty tired carrying two defenders around with him all day. Allowing Dawes to move up the ground a bit more may make it easier to bring him into the game more.

Hooray! Colin. He's been a failed experiment since the beginning. We have to identify this in players quicker and move them on.

He got hosed horribly at the beginning and the expectations put on him were ridiculous.

Whether it's our fault, his fault or whatever is irrelevant. It's time now to realize this hasn't and won't work. Jack needs to be moved on.

He and Colin Sylvia were our club personified. We need to move away from that era.

I don't see Watts as an effective full forward in this team. He is not a contested marking beast and our disposal upfield is not good enough to utilise his talents.

I see Watts as a Jack Gunston type of player who will be a great converter when he can find space in the forward line and guys up the ground can actually hit him with a pass. Hogan and Watts could be a dangerous combination but our midfield will need to improve to allow this.

I'm not sure how Roos sees Watts but I suspect his trajectory would be similar to Gunston's in a decent side. He only needs a couple of shots at goal a week to be really dangerous. But putting him deep forward would be no value to either him or the side right now.

• Like 2

My take and indecision around the list. Tried to not compare players to other players on our list.On a positive note the stay column has some improved/ potential and afl standard players to build our core from.

STAY

J HOGAN

N JONES

SALEM

DAWES

FRAWLEY

D TYSON

L DUNN

D CROSS

C GARLAND

C PEDERSON

B VINCE

JK HARRIS

TOM MAC

J HUNT

J GRIMES- ( TURNOVERS ) WOULD CONSIDER OFFERS , WOULD SLOT IN NICELY AS A REPLACEMENT FOR MAXWELL-VALUE TRADE

M GAWN

J HOWE

N JETTA

M JAMAR

J SPENCER - WOULD CONSIDER OFFERS

J HARMES

R BAIL - (TOO MANY MISSED GOALS) WOULD CONSIDER OFFERS

M JONES - ( NOT A GREAT FINISHER IN FRONT OF GOAL ) WOULD CONSIDER OFFERS

D TERLICH

M KING

J FITZPATRICK - BACK UP PLAYER - REQUIRED

KENT

TRADE BAIT OR STAY ( *possible delist and relist as rookie? )

WATTS ( value trade )

TOUMPAS

TRENGOVE

EVANS*

TAPSCOTT*

BLEASE*

DELIST - *KEEP AS RESERVE /INSURANCE IF NO REPLACEMENTS FOUND ( AND IF NO TRADE OFFERS )

MCKENZIE

CLISBY

STRAUSS

NICHOLSON

WESTRUPP

MITCHIE*

RILEY*

D BARRY

GEORGIOU*

Edited by CityDee

Reading Roo's comments concerning players that are scarred by the last 8 years, then it would be a reasonable expectation that some of the players under scrutiny could be:

5-8 years

Watts - Can see him being trade bait

Blease - what little he does offer, pace has been overtaken by others i.e Kent; pace can also be found in the draft

Strauss - hasn’t made it, doesn’t look part of Roo’s style

McKenzie - seems to follows coaches instructions well, this may save him

Garland - should be safe

Frawley - good if committed, but shows signs of scarring

Grimes - Hard to trade out a captian (not good for culture), but could be trade bait

Bail - there’s been subtle improvement, but started from a low standard, seems a Roo’s style of player

Spencer - Should keep a spot on the list, but why the extension

Trengove - Can see him being trade bait, for top end talent

Tapscott - I believe will make it when given consistent chance, hasn’t played enough 1st grade to be scarred

Fitzpatrick - I see a Pederson type progression here; or Sellars

While the following have been at the club 3-4 years (Wow 2011 was a disaster for us re trading/draft)

Howe - already a veteran in 4 years at the club, possible classic example of scarring (knows nothing else at AFL level)

McDonald – Considered young and looks to be coachable, a Roo’s style of player

Nicholson – noting comments on skill, very vulnerable

Evans – just plain unlucky

Noting that Clarke and Byrnes are already gone, and Frawley is likely. Probably the most the list will be turned over is 6-8 players. Targeting this group you could easily see Blease, Strauss, Evans and Nicholson in trouble. Fitzpatrick may just be saved by the loss of Frawley and the difficulty in finding a tall in the draft (note Roo’s traditionally trades in tall’s rather than drafts them) of course the recruitment of Cameron would see him gone.

Hole in list Likely Replaced by

Evans Top 5 draft pick

Frawley The bonus pick as part of a Tyson like trade, converted to an emerging tall at another club

Blease Stretch

Strauss 2nd round pick

Nicholson Jetta Upgrade

Clarke Hidden fringe player (aka Rielly)

Byrnes Emerging young midfielder (think Tyson like trade)

Fitzpatrick Cameron (but would need to give up something i.e high draft pick; or quality (think Howe, Trengove, etc in combination with picks) which would create another hole in the list, which ironically makes Fitzpatrick safer

Would like to see us bring O’Keefe in as a Rookie, but top up his role/salary with a development coach role

Delisting Tapscott/McKenzie would mean brining in a 4th round pick that is more than likely no better (you would only consider this if they are part of the ‘scarred’ brigade.

Note: It’s easy to get rid of players, but in reality we don’t have the capability to replace them, our 4th pick would be around 60 – 70, while the 5th pick rarely brings in quality; and NO, other teams are not going to trade for them (Players we have identified to move on).

edit: Grimes included

Edited by Ungarie boy

^ Can somebody please translate this for me?

Apologies Radar ,

Stay- has the guys that I wouldnt move on and not be put up for trade but if someone was requesting trades for Grimes, Spencer , M Jones and Bail I would consider the offer.

Trade bait - are the guys Id offer up to see what we could get, if nothing of value is offered keep these players with Evans Tappscot and Blease candidates to be demoted to the rookie list. Worked a treat for Nev Jetta this year.

Delist - Get rid of all these guys , keeping in mind we will require some bigger bodies for backup. Mitchie Riley Geourgiou would be the first candidates to stay on as reserves if we couldnt find better players.

• Like 1

Where i start from.

Backs.

Garland,FRawley,Dunn,TMac,Jetta,Howe,Terlich, this line seems to be improving and learning the trade.

We need a big power forward who will go up the ground{patton}and protect the scoreboard when needed,I think they must have hoges pencilled in to fill this role,We were a bit unlucky Mitch didnt survive and provide this.Its the area thats hurting us most onfield.

Probably need 2 ball using mids like Nicky del.

My speculation is PR will always be prepared to swap a good for a better fitting.

We have a lot of grave diggers at our club that will always remain so,Trengove,Watts grimes etc etc.Thats ok but we desperately need to fill the power forward role and 2 mids,The other spot needed to be filled is ruckman.

• Like 2

Watts should play off half back, with stints on the wing. That's his shtick. I know we'd all love more, but for the moment, utilise his disposal and reading of the play off half back, when we desperately need it.

• Like 1

Watts should play off half back, with stints on the wing. That's his shtick. I know we'd all love more, but for the moment, utilise his disposal and reading of the play off half back, when we desperately need it.

Yesterday,was the perfect game for a weak player with running skills to pick up cheap kicks in the empty plot of land and he still couldnt do this .AFTER 5 YEARS,He still couldnt pick up cheap kicks down back,Even when we kicked backwards from the centre/wing he still couldnt find CHEAP easy kicks.

What a waste,sned him packing with his 12 good Quarters from 6 years.

What happens when his opponent drags him deep and forces him to defend one-on-one close to goal?

And will he peel off his man and go back with the flight of the footy to prevent an opposition forward marking on the lead (the way Jack Grimes would and Neville Jetta would)?

I can see him being a good attacking weapon off half back, but he could just as easily be exposed defensively.

STAY

J HOGAN

N JONES

SALEM

DAWES

FRAWLEY

D TYSON

L DUNN

D CROSS

C GARLAND

C PEDERSON

B VINCE

JK HARRIS

TOM MAC

J HUNT

J GRIMES- will stay no doubt but don't think will be captain next year and his place is not assured in starting 22

M GAWN

J HOWE

N JETTA

M JAMAR

J SPENCER - WOULD CONSIDER OFFERS - just resigned can't see him moving

J HARMES

R BAIL - No one will offer

M JONES - No one will offer

D TERLICH in trouble

M KING

J FITZPATRICK - BACK UP PLAYER - REQUIRED

KENT

WATTS ( value trade - can't see it happening in light of 80% of our trades turning into duds - Silvia, Maloney , Gysberts this hurts the appeal to trade in ex Melb players.

TRADE BAIT OR STAY ( *possible delist and relist as rookie? )

TOUMPAS

TRENGOVE

MITCHIE*

RILEY*

D BARRY

GEORGIOU*

DELIST - *KEEP AS RESERVE /INSURANCE IF NO REPLACEMENTS FOUND ( AND IF NO TRADE OFFERS )

EVANS

TAPSCOTT

BLEASE

MCKENZIE

CLISBY

STRAUSS

NICHOLSON

WESTRUPP

MITCHIE*

RILEY*

D BARRY

GEORGIOU*