Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GOODBYE MR. CHIP FRAWLEY

Frawley  

433 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How do you figure that the Hawks are further away from a premiership than we are. Thats not a big statement - thats a HUGGGGEEEEE statement.

If you are referring to their form over the last few weeks - I think checking on who they have out of that team may give some indication as to their form slump.

I think the Hawks have got this year in them if they can get their players back on the park but the list is ageing and Buddy is a big loss for them, they just don't really know it yet. Next year will be more of a raffle.

Maybe Frawley should have a word to Bucks after the game on Monday and learn the difficulties in picking winners...who would of thought Brisbane would get 3.

• Like 3

Maybe Frawley should have a word to Bucks after the game on Monday and learn the difficulties in picking winners...who would of thought Brisbane would get 3.

That still cracks me up.

Buckley, "I want to play for a premiership winning team" when he left Brisbane.

Who would have thought those words would bite him in the arze and he would lose two GF to Brisbane and that Brisbane would win three in a row.

Wonder if he regrets it?

If Frawley goes I wonder if he will regret it given where we are ATM and hopefully where we will be going.

Edited by DemonOX

It wouldnt surprise me if the club and Frawley have already agreed to terms to remain a demon, along with confirmation that Roos will stay on as senior coach for a 3rd year, but that the club is focussing on some continued onfield results before making an announcement. The club feels completely different from the outside and I can only imagine how it is inside the club. I'd expect Frawley to sign a long term contract before September.

It wouldnt surprise me if the club and Frawley have already agreed to terms to remain a demon, along with confirmation that Roos will stay on as senior coach for a 3rd year, but that the club is focussing on some continued onfield results before making an announcement. The club feels completely different from the outside and I can only imagine how it is inside the club. I'd expect Frawley to sign a long term contract before September.

What better time to make such an announcement. Just before QB. If such good new hasn't happened yet, it wont happen.

Edited by america de cali

I am bemused by the idea of players "holding us to ransom". Modern AFL and players being recontracted has one main driver and thats demand. Managers and their players assess what they can get at another club and what they are offered at their existing club. There are always the little added anomalies like leaving to play finals or not getting on with the coach/played out of position or not being played at all. Players in general that don't play for basketcase teams are happy enough to stay for the same money being offered by other clubs or even slightly less ( aka Travis Cloke - took a lower offer to stay to Collingwood - the difference in $'s was not enough for him to move on).

This is not holding a club to ransom - its the way of the world. To those pointing to Dunn signing up early as a free agent. Different players have different priorities.

The take home message is that AFL to players is a business and a career. We get confused that supporters like us don't get paid to attend ( in fact many of us pay handsomely for the privilege) but the players do, and like most employees - we are loyal to the company that employs us - unless we are offered compelling reasons to work elsewhere.

losing Clark, Jurrah, Aussie, Scully and Sylvia, kind of takes the sting out of losing players...

Two years ago i would have been freaking out about losing Frawley.... but now I'm not fussed, i guess my focus has changed a bit...

Though I still admirer individual flair, like Jurrah's mark of the year or Sammy Blease's blistering runs through the midfield... These moments are great to watch, but really they are only moments in games... Modern Footy requires a full team effort for four quarters of footy... We can no longer rely on individual players to win us matches anymore... Look at Hawthorne's start to the year without Buddy Franklin or Geelong's premiership after losing Gary Ablett jnr... Its the leadership and direction of the club thats important now days... Our old fashioned culture of relying on heroes, is why we stagnated at the bottom for so long...

Thankfully Peter Jackson and Paul Roos have set a modern direction for this club, a team first direction... A direction that the premiership clubs have been doing for years... Losing Frawley or any other player is no longer as big an issue, as it would have been ten years or so ago... The stronger clubs don't build premieship teams around great players anymore... they build game plans, a team first culture and strong leadership... Oh and they build money....

Losing Frawley won't change the direction of our club...

Edited by tatu
  • Like 1

I disagree, B. Frawley's agility and work rate is far high than Gawn's. Let's have this conversation when Hogan returns.

good point. He had been important as that lead up player. Thought he was good last week on long leads. Also roos obviously likes 3 big guys up there so perhaps you're right. I hope do now (have changed on this as I was pretty down on him early but reckon he's been good in last 5 games or so)
  • Like 1

The Pariah Syndrome created by the wealthy clubs and players association, with the blessing of the AFL, may cause us some

concern re James Frawley. We thought the same thing last year re Silvia but how has that turned out? By the way I think we should offer Chip a very decent salary and I believe he will stay. I think he's smart enough to realise the whole club has structured up well, recruited well and is clearly going up the mountain.

Listened with interest to Tom Harley prior to tonight's game strongly advocating Geelong join the party re Free Agents as this was the way to avoid a rebuild and always remain competitive. Not convinced on that but that seemed to be his view. Sure its worked for Hawthorn , but they were ahead of the curve, as were Collingwood to some degree (Jolly/Ball) and the Swans have been allowed to get away with murder, but the nine year lock in on Buddy, could end up eating them alive. Carlton on the other hand tell a different story with Judd ( I acknowledge he's been a great player, but he hogged a large part of their salary cap and no sign of premierships under his watch.) Bit of another Buckley perhaps. Now they've locked up fairly large on Daisy Thomas.

So what do we now see? The players association attempting to have the free agency time limits further reduced.

I'm not sure what this all means long term, but future compensation in the kids draft has the potential to be devalued/distorted,( if it hasn't been already) or come under the microscope in terms of fair compensation value . I mean would picks 11 & 12 be fair value for Chip should we finish in that spot? For us in 2014, should James decide to go, two picks likely to be somewhere between 3&6 would probably give satisfactory trading leverage as others have said , so our position is somewhat insulated ,but surely further downward pressure on free agency age restrictions as suggested by the players association should be considered with commensurate ( and greater) compensation to be afforded.

What better time to make such an announcement. Just before QB. If such good new hasn't happened yet, it wont happen.

Disagree, mate. We shall see.

The Pariah Syndrome created by the wealthy clubs and players association, with the blessing of the AFL, may cause us some

concern re James Frawley. We thought the same thing last year re Silvia but how has that turned out? By the way I think we should offer Chip a very decent salary and I believe he will stay. I think he's smart enough to realise the whole club has structured up well, recruited well and is clearly going up the mountain.

Listened with interest to Tom Harley prior to tonight's game strongly advocating Geelong join the party re Free Agents as this was the way to avoid a rebuild and always remain competitive. Not convinced on that but that seemed to be his view. Sure its worked for Hawthorn , but they were ahead of the curve, as were Collingwood to some degree (Jolly/Ball) and the Swans have been allowed to get away with murder, but the nine year lock in on Buddy, could end up eating them alive. Carlton on the other hand tell a different story with Judd ( I acknowledge he's been a great player, but he hogged a large part of their salary cap and no sign of premierships under his watch.) Bit of another Buckley perhaps. Now they've locked up fairly large on Daisy Thomas.

So what do we now see? The players association attempting to have the free agency time limits further reduced.

I'm not sure what this all means long term, but future compensation in the kids draft has the potential to be devalued/distorted,( if it hasn't been already) or come under the microscope in terms of fair compensation value . I mean would picks 11 & 12 be fair value for Chip should we finish in that spot? For us in 2014, should James decide to go, two picks likely to be somewhere between 3&6 would probably give satisfactory trading leverage as others have said , so our position is somewhat insulated ,but surely further downward pressure on free agency age restrictions as suggested by the players association should be considered with commensurate ( and greater) compensation to be afforded.

Some also thought similar about Watts.

I'd also argue that free agency will actually slowly cripple Hawthorn. You need to keep drafting young blokes as well. You can't keep going to the FA pot. It's a bit like Daniher topping up in his final years.

How do you figure that the Hawks are further away from a premiership than we are. Thats not a big statement - thats a HUGGGGEEEEE statement.

If you are referring to their form over the last few weeks - I think checking on who they have out of that team may give some indication as to their form slump.

They are at the end of their current window

As i said If he wants a premiership he has to be carefull which club he goes to and as the Hawks are closing we are opening

People are dreaming if they think the Hawks are on the slide and we are more advanced than them for future success.

If Chip wants to remain in Victoria but leave us, they and Geelong are his best bets - they have sustained history as proven finals performers in recent times, thanks to astute recruiting and development - both free agents and mature players (Rivers, Lake, Burgoyne, Gibson) as well as young talent (Horlin-Smith, Hill, Duncan, et al).

North Melbourne and Collingwood may be an outside chance of luring him - but I'd put both behind Cats and Hawks in terms of future finals aspirations.

The interstate option probably boils down to Freo or Sydney - again, proven developers of talent young and old, and both will need defensive reinforcement, with the implication that the Swans will have a salary cap issue a fallacy - they'll have a heap of players retiring over the next 2 - 3 years, and the new CBA from 2017 will see the salary cap potentially double. Which is why their Buddy deal was probably a smart bit of business.

Gold Coast would be an option if he wants (potential) future finals success.

Alternatively he could stick with us and be the leader that we expect him to be / he claims to be.

I still think it's Hawks, us, Cats and then Freo as the options, GC17 is the wildcard however.

• Like 1

I think the Saints are going to throw huge cash at him 600 - 650k a year over 4.

I only think he is worth 400 -450 a year.

It's in their M.O. It would make no sense whatsoever as they are quite a few years away from being a finals side and Chip isn't a Gary Ablett style player who can keep the side respectable while the kids develop.

They are at the end of their current window

As i said If he wants a premiership he has to be carefull which club he goes to and as the Hawks are closing we are opening

If history teaches you anything about hawthorn over the last 40 years is that they have very few closed window periods. Write them off at your own peril.

• Like 1

If history teaches you anything about hawthorn over the last 40 years is that they have very few closed window periods. Write them off at your own peril.

That's true but they have had a couple of periods where they've needed to rebuild. A lot of their class players are now coming to the end with injuries a sign, the Cats are the same. I reckon if they don't get it this year they will fall back in the pack playing for the bottom half of the 8 or just outside. Buddy has been a big loss so the focus is on Roughy, if anything happens to him they are in trouble. Gunston is not a key but really a more than handy 3rd tall.

Freo is interested in him, but not willing to pay $700 000 a year for 4 years.

Also, apparently Jon Ralph thinks he is out the door. Made a comparison to Scully's pressers during his last year and said that he was more positive about staying than Frawley.

Anyway, we shall see see come Sept/Oct.

Think he mentally checked out after the first 3 games and probably agreed to terms elsewhere.

Now just covering his ass with BS spin about needing improvement, blah blah blah. He's gone.

Agree with this. Like most supporters would prefer him to stay-but not at any cost.