GOODBYE MR. CHIP FRAWLEY

Frawley  

433 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No point having someone play in the team who doesn't want to be there.

No matter who it is.

Agreed. I haven't seen anything to suggest that he doesn't want to be there.

I have seen some fumbling. I have seen some poor decisions and disposal. And I have seen this from lots of players apart from Frawley.

I understand that people have varying views on his worth to the team due to some of his flaws but I seriously question that his effort has missing.

• Like 1

well we'll know soon enough

Still reckon he will stay

I get the feeling he values playing with his mates a lot more than chasing a flag at a rival club

If he wants success he will want it with the MFC, nowhere else

I get the feeling he values playing with his mates a lot more than chasing a flag at a rival club

So much so that he has put talks on hold.

• Like 3

Nice little dream last night obviously!!

I thought Chip would stay, but the reality is, in spite of our obvious improvement, we are still sitting on 4 wins with only 7 rounds to go, and only 2 realistically possible wins in that final stretch.

If Frawley wants to play finals, the smart option for him is to leave, not wait for us to climb the ladder.

It may happen next season, but it's a long shot.

I think he might have a bit each way.

He'll stay at melb but only sign a 2 year deal which gives him the opportunity to stay with his mates, see how the successor is/is not working and try and help the club move up the ladder but also gives himself the option in that in 2 years time if hes still not happy he can go and chase success as a 28 yo.

• Like 1

I think he might have a bit each way.

He'll stay at melb but only sign a 2 year deal which gives him the opportunity to stay with his mates, see how the successor is/is not working and try and help the club move up the ladder but also gives himself the option in that in 2 years time if hes still not happy he can go and chase success as a 28 yo.

would have signed a 2year deal by now already then....just saying

I think Chip will be at Fremantle next year, Col over there, they can stay up the top for longer than Hawthorn or Geelong in my opinion

RPFC - will the AFL's compensation formula be adjusted accordingly with the increase in TPP?

Yes, I am sure their formula of 'making it up as they go' will alter due to the increased money available...

• Like 4

COMPENSATION

A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.

The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;

2. The age of the free agent.

Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period.

Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:

• 1st round

• end of 1st round

• 2nd round

• end of 2nd round

• 3rd round

In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result.

That's a rather large - we can do whatever we want - caveat in bold...

In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result.

That's a rather large - we can do whatever we want - caveat in bold...

It is so distorted it is frustrating and difficult to make sense of. They must have revalued up when Port got two 2nd round comp picks for the two (cant remember names, but not star) FA players a few years ago. (These were both high picks because Port were down the bottom of the ladder) That was the same year Hawthorn got a 3rd/4th round pick for their FA and we didn't get much for Rivers and Moloney altho for us we had FA's come in.

I think that the AFL is using some sort of 'balancing-on-needs' of FA comp picks and PP picks. eg

-Port get overs because they were in bad shape

-Hawthorn get unders because in good shape.

-In retrospect we got overs for HWSNBN so they gave us unders for Rivers/Moloney

-We may have got overs for Col but that maybe was because we were denied (after Eddie did his two-year-old tantrum routine) a real PP.

There is no real way of guessing but if we are in the bottom 3 at end of season, with Clarke gone they might give us a round one pick for Frawley but if Eddie kicks up and down again it may be end of round 1 or after our round 2 pick. All a bit of a lottery in a way.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Well, there it is then. He's gone.

• Like 7

As RPFC alludes Im sure the compo "equation" ..."formula" call it what you will is probably nothing more than a round circle thinking of convenience made up on the fly. There seems to be more variation applied than any fixed determnations.

I can't help but think that if he were to leave, we will be compensated with an end of first round pick. If this happens, it's a significant loss for us.

The only thing you can look at in regards to compensation is any precedence set in the past, and even then it's still a whole world of grey.

Dal Santo is on around $450k for 3 years. St Kilda received a 2nd round pick

Dale Thomas around $625k for 4 years. Collingwood received a first rounder.

Buddy $10m/9years - 1st rounder

Sylvia approx. $350k a year for 3 years - we received a 2nd round pick (which we all thought was way overs)

Goddard 4 years @ over $3m - first round

Port got a second round pick for Danyle Pearce, but I'm unsure of the dollar value and length of contract.

In theory, anything above $550k a year for 4 years should get see us get a first rounder for Frawley, but I wouldn't be taking that to the bank. Would "finals" teams, remembering that if he is to leave it's to go to a club playing in September, be willing to pay these sort of dollars?

The biggest issue will be our finishing position. If we stay 16th, we get pick 3. Will the AFL want us getting a pick straight after that? As RPFC bolded above, the committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes when the formula produces a materially anomalous result. The question they, and some on here should ask, is Frawley worth Pick 4?

I see Frawley going for a similar amount as Goddard. A 1st rounder wold be applicable youd think.

Now then would there be some consideration given for the PP we didnt and never will get and see it given as a 1st rounder after our pick?

One of the louder dissenters towards us has their plate full with other things currently so who knows.

Of course it will also depend on any other free agency movements inbound to us.

B59 - who will pay that for Frawley?

any of the contenders wishing to shore up their defenses.

It will in large depend whos actually around on the market to be bought...The ol supply and demand thing.. it may not be exact currency but I can see him going for 4 ( maybe 5 ) years for somewhere around 650+ pa. New salary caps may lift the money.

Hawks will have the room and a need for a back. Kitties would like him but maybe not for top dollar but it will still be serious coin.

Suns might open their wallets as they sniff a window perhaps and the timing might work for them.

Dare I say...a certain team just north of the city might be looking for players soon !!

I can't help but think that if he were to leave, we will be compensated with an end of first round pick. If this happens, it's a significant loss for us.

The only thing you can look at in regards to compensation is any precedence set in the past, and even then it's still a whole world of grey.

Sylvia approx. $350k a year for 3 years - we received a 2nd round pick (which we all thought was way overs)

Port got a second round pick for Danyle Pearce, but I'm unsure of the dollar value and length of contract.

In theory, anything above $550k a year for 4 years should get see us get a first rounder for Frawley, but I wouldn't be taking that to the bank. Would "finals" teams, remembering that if he is to leave it's to go to a club playing in September, be willing to pay these sort of dollars?

The biggest issue will be our finishing position. If we stay 16th, we get pick 3. Will the AFL want us getting a pick straight after that? As RPFC bolded above, the committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes when the formula produces a materially anomalous result. The question they, and some on here should ask, is Frawley worth Pick 4?

But like i said If he doesn't want to play for us he is of no value.

We have to aim to recruit a replacement regardless of the lottery number.

you left out the age of the fa in your dissertation

frawley gets extra points for being younger, so he doesn't need to get as high a value of contract

we also don't understand how the length of contract factors in

• Like 1

frawley gets extra points for being younger, so he doesn't need to get as high a value of contract

Yes, he is young and he will get a longer deal I would say.

Also, we need a PP and giving us a top 5 pick is the perfect way for the AFL to not give us a PP, but also say to us 'hey we did you a solid guys, you're welcome.'

• Like 1

good point re age./.forgot that.. He'll be about the youngest so far ?