Training - Thursday 8th May, 2014

Sat if you see Josh Mahoney can you ask him how much consideration they gave to the likelihood of an increased sentence for Jack in deciding to appeal.

He won't get off.

He won't get off because the AFL doesn't have the intellectual wherewithal to reverse the decision. The penalty won't be increased because they won't have the courage. Imagine the outcry then

I'd rather Kent in the side than Byrnes

True, but long term I'd probably prefer Toumpas over both. At least my opinion is that Toumpas has considerably more upside and has shown form this year. A hard nose is great but after a point it doesn't provide much, particularly if the whole team develops that attitude - as they should.

1 thing i just remembered noticing at the end of training

Viney and Kent did a 10-15 hard running session on the ground.....a punishment for being suspended? (Kent VFL of course)

15 minute safety zone for the rest of the players.

Georgiou was in a Hannibal Lector trolley for this period.

• Like 2

Actually I'm the Marquis of Carabas, Ascobar is the Amharic equivalent...

AS in Puss in Boots??

• Like 1

Sat if you see Josh Mahoney can you ask him how much consideration they gave to the likelihood of an increased sentence for Jack in deciding to appeal.

He won't get off.

Please congratulate Mahoney on a job well done Saty.

And congratulate Roosy on the inspired selection and ongoing faith in JKH.

BB had a problem with that too :).

Edited by jabberwocky

Personal opinion on Frawley, after I was told new mantra was no train no play, which applied to both Kent and Spencer, would make an exception with Frawley, non a good thing for team harmony

I would have thought that if in doubt, don't risk him. Put Gawnius maximus up forward - did a good job IIRC last time vs Dogs at G.

• Like 1

The extra work Kent and Viney did is not punishment as such, if suspended you are EXPECTED to put in extra, I asked...Daniel Cross must get suspended a lot, last off again Dean Kent said Cross is the ultimate pro and sets a great example to the young guys....made the mistake of offering my hand to shake to Crossy to wish him luck against Dogs, hopefully the feeling in the fingers will return soon

• Like 1

Nailed it.

Ascobar love to know what work you are doing over there.

I can at least say I have been to Addis back in 1990 but only for an overnight stopover on an Ethiopian Air fight out of Kenya. Had been bumming around Africa for a while but Kenya went into melt down, some tribal, political power play and the troops were marching through the streets beating people. I decided it was time to get out but my Sudan Air flight never arrived because of the chaos but I managed to get an Ethiopian Air flight out to Cairo via Addis. I remember the strange dudes on board but mostly the view of the country as flew over it, seeing the highlands, the source of the white Nile? And the Nile confluence at Khartoum in Sudan. Most scenic flight I have been on.

In 1990 it was as green as, water everywhere, so different from Live Aid of 1985 and the catastrophic drought that killed millions.

Kent got one week but with byes it could be two or three before he plays again...was completely [censored] which was great to see, said he is going to do extra everything

What did he do to get banned?

The extra work Kent and Viney did is not punishment as such, if suspended you are EXPECTED to put in extra, I asked...Daniel Cross must get suspended a lot, last off again Dean Kent said Cross is the ultimate pro and sets a great example to the young guys....made the mistake of offering my hand to shake to Crossy to wish him luck against Dogs, hopefully the feeling in the fingers will return soon

Typing with the toes again Saty?

Thanks to those who wrote reports, only just now have some time alone to do one but looks like others have summarised it well

Would still like to hear your views Rod. Nothing better to read on a training report page than a training report.

Would still like to hear your views Rod. Nothing better to read on a training report page than a training report.

Haha, will do later. Actually said to Saty earlier that the more the better, spent bulk of last 15 years overseas or interstate and used to love the training report so will do

• Like 1

Rather than summarising, as already been done, thought I'd add a few observations.

Jamar v Gawn in ruck drills, pretty damn even, Jamar used his experience and strength to win many, but when Gawn held his own, he would win most.

I've said it before, but will say it again, one of the biggest differences this year is that the players really seem to enjoy training. I have no doubt they are working harder, but it seems like instead of work, they are enjoying themselves training for a game they love.

During the drills, there is a lot more movement. Last year training was quite stop start, waiting to get involved, joining in and waiting again.

This year, there always somewhere to look at training, something always happening.

One of the drill starts in the back pocket, defender passes and sprints to mate he has passed to, who has turned and passed to someone leading on the wing, who turns and passes or gives a handball to one of two already involved who passes to a forward who marks and gives it off to one of the three or four now charging past and they have a shot (or the forward shoots), all involved then jog around the boundary while a second group go through their paces (and they aren't going at half pace), then into the centre to set up as a third group goes through their paces forwards and back running to position.

In this drill 5 out of 6 would be along the right flank with the odd ones up the guts or left flanks.

Another difference this year is that the match simulation, while still a long way off from real day pressure, has a hell of a lot more pressure than what I saw last season.

A bigger crowd today than recently, sure to show some support to Jack, though nice weather would not have hurt these numbers. Few cameramen and journos but less than I was expecting.

• Like 4