The Round 7 AFL Rising Star nominee

Goes to Collingwood's Tom Langdon for his 23 possession game against Carlton on Friday night. Congratulations.

The following day Melbourne's Jay Kennedy-Harris picked up 25 touches but hey ... who at the AFL really cares about what happens in Adelaide?

Langdon was probably BOG in a team of Beams, Pendles and Swan all playing well too.

JKH was awesome, but Tyson, Viney and Dawes etc. were better than him. He will get one before the years out.

• Like 8

Yeah it's a bit pathetic. Might not have been BOG for us, but he was huge on Saturday, in a game nobody expected us to win, at the opposition's home ground, after 3 consecutive wins, after a 12 year losing record, and we only had to fight and scrape every tooth and nail to get over the line.

Being BOG when you're playing against Carlton is hardly much to write about. The more deserving young players are the ones who grab the game by the nads and bring their team with them against all the odds.

And yes, I'd use the same argument for the players who won the rising star nom when playing against us in the first few rounds. Hardly indicative of real talent when you're playing against witches hats (yes, I'm referring to our pre-Dawes form). JKH, at pick 40, and in a team like ours is obviously the far more noteworthy recipient, but you know, we're Melbourne and this other guy plays for Colonwood, so, like, it's obviously going to them, especially given how impressive and unexpected their win was against the stunningly in-form Carlton.

*sigh*

Edited by Lamashtu

I think it's fair.

I would rather the spotlight be off our boy for now.

The commentators didn't seem to notice him either.

He is fairly evasive.

• Like 1

I really couldn't careless who gets it - hasn't worked out well for us in the past.

He played well and that's all that matters - hope he can keep it up

• Like 3

Goes to Collingwood's Tom Langdon for his 23 possession game against Carlton on Friday night. Congratulations.

The following day Melbourne's Jay Kennedy-Harris picked up 25 touches but hey ... who at the AFL really cares about what happens in Adelaide?

I watched both games and I was thinking it was going to go to either Langdon or JKH (I was hoping the later obviously).

Even though Langdon belongs to the filth, during his post-match interview he spoke like a fine and very articulate young man with a good head on his shoulders, and so far for his season he deserves it.

I just hope JKH and even Salem's come in due course.

As for Langdon, I don't hate him.... yet!

At the end of the day the gongs mean nothing, it is what they do in the subsequent years that counts. It is probably better we get FA recognition and then get it together and catch them by surprise, next year and after.

I watched both games (as no doubt did many). Langdon was good, but JHK was better. The difference is that Langdon played on the Friday night blockbuster.

I disagree. Langdon I thought was the best player on the ground. JKH was good but there were 3-4 better in our win. Langdon has also been more deserving with his overall form thus far this year.

• Like 1

Lack of objectivity in this thread. Langdon has strung together the better footy up 'til now. If JKH can continually play like he did on Saturday it won't be long before he gets nominated. Really depise this: he's-a-Melbourne-player-so-the-AFL-hates-us mentality.

Mmmmm don't quite know why we get excited by this. Winning is all that matters, and we did that on Saturday in the most difficult of circumstances. It is nice to get recognition, but I don't think any of us could really complain about the almost blanket (almost universally favourable) coverage of our win, as much because of the surprise element as anything. I really look forward to this coverage in future being about our excellent football rather than the news worthiness of the surprise. I also look forward to posts on here in future being about our superior play rather than the rather extreme persecution complexes some of us have about the team. If you don't know what I am talking about read the earlier entries on this post, and the entries during the match on Saturday. I'm sorry folks, I simply don't believe umpires go out on the field with the express purpose of persecuting us as suggested on saturday. As I think Churchill said "if you have to choose between a conspiracy and a stuff up, choose a stuff up everytime". Sure some of the umpiring was terrible - but it did go both ways more incompetence than anything else I would say

Edited by Dees2014

Jkh was very good but my word langdon was impressive, hautung probably did enough to be considered as well

Edited by Sassy