Roos' trust in the playing group and vice versa

wisedog

One of the glaring differences between Neeld and Roos seems to be the decisions made at the selection table. Under Neeld, the starting 22 seemed at times seemed like a revolving door and for the most part, he was making the decisions that most of us would have agreed with.

Neeld felt the pressure. Roos has held his nerve.

If most of us had our way, then Watts would have been dropped last week. At various points, we probably would have cut Grimes, Pederson, Byrnes, Terlich, Bail, Howe, JKH as well. Jack copped it from all sections of the media, but Roos refused to single out and humiliate a player who's been maligned for his entire career.

Of course, players should earn their place, but I wonder if we're witnessing some of the benefits of playing a more settled line-up - in the cohesion and camaraderie of the playing group and the confidence of these players individually?

• Like 21

Watts played his part today, intensity was definitely more consistent. Good boy Jack.

That tackle he laid when he was pushed over the side line was really good. He showed he still had the strength (and smarts) to pull the Adelaide player over the line even though he was being pushed out himself.

After he did that I noticed Dawes came up and said something to him and slapped him on the shoulder. Great leadership from Dawes.

• Like 2

One of the glaring differences between Neeld and Roos seems to be the decisions made at the selection table. Under Neeld, the starting 22 seemed at times seemed like a revolving door and for the most part, he was making the decisions that most of us would have agreed with.
If most of us had our way, then Watts would have been dropped last week. At various points, we probably would have cut Grimes, Pederson, Byrnes, Terlich, Bail, Howe, JKH as well. Jack copped it from all sections of the media, but Roos refused to single out and humiliate a player who's been maligned for his entire career.
Of course, players should earn their place, but I wonder if we're witnessing some of the benefits of playing a more settled line-up - in the cohesion and camaraderie of the playing group and the confidence of these players individually?

True, but a lot of changes had already taken place, before Roosy signed on. If Roosy was here 4 years ago, hypothetically, things may have been different, Re having to let players go etc. Although he would have brought a different recruiting team, etc.

truth is we are on a new plane & looking up. aint it grand.

Roos responds and does not react. His elevation and trust of Nev Jetta, the trust in Howe and Watts after last week, all show that he has invest confidence in the list and demands they live up to it.

good call, i have been thinking along these lines myself.. after last week i counted 8 blokes that didnt deserve to be out there.. Roosy's response? No change. Most of those blokes took a step up tonight. He knows what he's doing.

How does our avg points against compare this year to Rounds 1-7 last year?

I'll answer my own question

Average score conceded, Rd 1-7 2013: 136

Average score conceded, Rd 1-7 2014: 78

So on average, we are conceding 58 points less every game than at the same time last year. Last year, every team from Rd 1-7 kicked 100+ points against us. This year, that has happened only once.

We are still bottom 4 on talent but we are miserly, and as Roos said, a good defensive structure will allow us to win games like today. I love Paul Roos footy.

Edited by Sylvia Saint
  • Like 1

Interesting also the message that it sends to those at Casey: You need to play well - and consistently well - to force your way in.

Agree.....looking forward to Riley hitting the 1st's with form.

As I posted during the week when people were calling for Roos to make a statement by dropping Watts. Roos doesn't need to make a statement, his record as a player and coach is a statement.

I guess in a way he made his own statement by sticking by his player.

• Like 1

I understand the sentiment about a settled side, but there are some Casey who need nurturing and encouraging, and will be important to our future. Dawes showed today how important a dominant tall forward is to a team, and in the unfortunate absence of Hogan I still think we are too short down there. I would be playing Gawn as second ruck and high marking tall forward. Toumpas is another we need to nurture. Two or three BOGS at Casey and he should be in the side. Garland of course will return next week. We still need to mix and match til we get our best combination. In Roos I trust...

• Like 1

Most of the guys coming in from casey have added to the team in positive way . Evans was ok for a couple then went back again and maybe Byrnes will go back again- again but jKH Jamar Salem Jetta have form . We havnt seeen impact from guys promoted for years. How good was Salems Cameo against the crows , that goal . Early call but he reminds me of one Adam Yze in his kicking ability .

I'm by no means a Neeld supporter, he took us backwards a long way, and took Trengove even further still.

But with how things played out, most of which were out of his control, he would have had to have had the worst initiation and 1.5 year period of any coach in AFL history.

Sure, he had many failings as a coach, but he never got a lucky bounce to help him out.

Edited by Demon Disciple

I'm by no means a Neeld supporter, he took us backwards a long way, and took Trengove even further still.

But with how things played out, most of which were out of his control, he would have had to have had the worst initiation and 1.5 year period of any coach in AFL history.

Sure, he had many failings as a coach, but he never got a lucky bounce to help him out.

He (Neeld) certainly had a lot of things go against him but this is where his lack of experience was a liability. He added to the problems with poor response and knee jerk reaction.

Roos hasn't exactly had the dream run with Clark retiring, Hogan looking as though he will miss the season and Frawley maybe on the move. He just takes it on board and goes about his business and is not railroaded into moves like dropping Watts where Neeld seemed to use him as a scapegoat nearly from day one.

• Like 3

Most of the guys coming in from casey have added to the team in positive way . Evans was ok for a couple then went back again and maybe Byrnes will go back again- again but jKH Jamar Salem Jetta have form . We havnt seeen impact from guys promoted for years. How good was Salems Cameo against the crows , that goal . Early call but he reminds me of one Adam Yze in his kicking ability .

Definitely a bit of Yze - good call. Not saying he will be as good as Yze, but looks like him in style.