Rohan Bail - 50 games

Nasher

Well done, Rohan! Very pleased for you, and I hope you continue to excel in the Red & Blue, with your next 50 games contributing to the success of the Dees!

Still average IMO, would struggle to make it onto any other AFL list.

Honestly old dee, do these comments add value? He's playing AFL standard footy, so presently he deserves to be on an AFL list. Of course I doubt anyone would reckon he'd be lining up on the HFF for Hawthorn, but he's in the side on merit. It would be nice if we could go for 5 minutes without giving one of our second tier players a backhander.

• Like 6

Honestly old dee, do these comments add value? He's playing AFL standard footy, so presently he deserves to be on an AFL list. Of course I doubt anyone would reckon he'd be lining up on the HFF for Hawthorn, but he's in the side on merit. It would be nice if we could go for 5 minutes without giving one of our second tier players a backhander.

That covers it Nasher.

Bail's kicking (along with Matt Jones') has tidied up exponentially in the last 4 or so rounds.

He is hitting targets I've never seen him come close to in the past, and with some consistency.

Very pleasing.

Really? im not so sure. his kicking on Saturday was average, his first quarter entries into the forward line to teammates who had their opponents done for, was sub standard. Still deserves to be in the team as he gives 100% and is an effective team player but his kicking recently has disappointed me.

That covers it Nasher.

Well, at least that was 9 minutes...

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 1

OD, I don't think Bail should be worried about his place at this stage.

He's getting a regular game at the moment.

Even if we do want to make 5 openings on the list, we already have Mitch Clark off the books.

I'm unsure of contracts, but then we have Nicholson, Blease, Tapscott, Strauss, Barry... All before Bail.

I'm not sure how desperate we'd be to hold onto Byrnes, and I think Jamar is coming to the end.

I think Bail is fairly safe for 2015.

• Like 1

OD, I don't think Bail should be worried about his place at this stage.

He's getting a regular game at the moment.

Even if we do want to make 5 openings on the list, we already have Mitch Clark off the books.

I'm unsure of contracts, but then we have Nicholson, Blease, Tapscott, Strauss, Barry... All before Bail.

I'm not sure how desperate we'd be to hold onto Byrnes, and I think Jamar is coming to the end.

I think Bail is fairly safe for 2015.

So do I Machsy I think I said that.

I just think he is an average player simple as that just my opinion.

You think he is a bit more.

The problem for the likes of Bail and a number of others nutbean is they are out of contract this year.

We have to delist probably five this year.

How long do you go on waiting for them to progress?

Now I think Bail may escape the cut if he keeps the form of the last couple of weeks going.

But some of the others who are only average at Casey look to be in trouble IMO.

Here's my thinking.

I unfortunately believe that we had coaches/football departments that had no idea on how to establish a culture of excellence ( or a path to excellence), on setting goals and expectations and no idea how to develop or bring out the best in the players. It is early days but I believe ( and hope) that that is exactly what we in place now with Roos, Jackson and Co.

Therefore everyone this year got a clean slate from top to bottom. Anyone who Roos cleans out at the end of the year is because he believes there is little upside in the player. Good enough for me.

Has Bail improved ? Yes. Has Pederson improved ? Yes. Has Jetta improved ? Yes. As have others. There are some kicking the ball at Casey who have probably improved on what they doing for the senior side last year. There are some that just cant get on the field because of injury. Have "they" improved enough to stay on the list next year. Its a certainty ( because we have to ) that some will get chopped - thats up to Roos.

Edited by nutbean

Here's my thinking.

I unfortunately believe that we had coaches/football departments that had no idea on how to establish a culture of excellence ( or a path to excellence), on setting goals and expectations and no idea how to develop or bring out the best in the players. It is early days but I believe ( and hope) that that is exactly what we in place now with Roos, Jackson and Co.

Therefore everyone this year got a clean slate from top to bottom. Anyone who Roos cleans out at the end of the year is because he believes there is little upside in the player. Good enough for me.

Has Bail improved ? Yes. Has Pederson improved ? Yes. Has Jetta improved ? Yes. As have others. There are some kicking the ball at Casey who have probably improved on what they doing for the senior side last year. There are some that just cant get on the field because of injury. Have "they" improved enough to stay on the list next year. Its a certainty ( because we have to ) that some will get chopped - thats up to Roos.

I agree with you nutbean

However I would add that we still have a number that are not good enough to get us higher on the ladder.

Yes they all may have improved but the best from quite a few will still not give us a team capable of moving out of the bottom three or four.

A lot of changes are still needed

Here's my thinking.

In a nutshell, Nutbean, apart from there were too many paths to choose from in the last few years, and a lot of obstacles blocking the way, unfortunately players stagnated or 'got lost'

I agree with you nutbean

However I would add that we still have a number that are not good enough to get us higher on the ladder.

Yes they all may have improved but the best from quite a few will still not give us a team capable of moving out of the bottom three or four.

A lot of changes are still needed

Correct but I have seen enough of Roos and his plan to give me comfort that he knows what he is doing. It is a long time since I have been able to say that about a coach. So if he see something in Jetta or Bail or anyone that maybe I dont then thats great. But yes - there will be movement at the station at the end of the year

In a nutshell, Nutbean, apart from there were too many paths to choose from in the last few years, and a lot of obstacles blocking the way, unfortunately players stagnated or 'got lost'

As I said above - i have never felt so comfortable in the knowledge that we have a coach who knows what he is doing. Every player is a 1st year player for me. Roos will decide who gets to be a 2nd year player.

So do I Machsy I think I said that.

I just think he is an average player simple as that just my opinion.

You think he is a bit more.

?

No... I think he is an average player, but you were saying he wouldn't be on another AFL list.

Changing your tune?

Edited by Machsy

?

No... I think he is an average player, but you were saying he wouldn't be on another AFL list.

Changing your tune?

No

I will stay with that.

He is on our list because we are the second worst team.

No

I will stay with that.

He is on our list because we are the second worst team.

So if it is the team that is second rate, then there is a need to take potshots as a whole rather than individualising, which is what Nasher was saying to you, or not bother at all which would be even better

• Like 1

MELBOURNE: Rohan Bail

Bail fills a very specific role for Melbourne. The Demons love his pressure and his ability to cause turnovers, highlighted by the fact he heads the list of pressure acts (159) at the club. Daniel Cross' determination is a given and his club-leading tackle count of 50 should come as little surprise. Bail is second on that table with 47 for the year, bumped up by the 10 he laid against Carlton in his club's first win of the year in round four. That day, the Demons out-tackled the Blues 84-65 and Bail was clearly among his side's best. – Ben Guthrie

• Like 1

So if it is the team that is second rate, then there is a need to take potshots as a whole rather than individualising, which is what Nasher was saying to you, or not bother at all which would be even better

Saty I often agree with you but I truly struggle with this " one cannot criticize anyone"

For god sake this is a fan site where people give their opinions.

Lots of people on here have opinions on players I don't agree with.

I don't tell them to say nothing because I don't agree.

If I think something I will say it like almost everyone on here.

People can disagree that is what giving opinions is all about and I am happy that they give a contrary opinion that may change mine..

If you only want to hear the company line stay on the MFC web site.

Edited by old dee

The collective groan, OD, is because we know that our list has players that are NQR.

Some of them will be jettisoned at the end of the year.

Some are doing a good job at the minute and that is the sum of what most are saying.

You constantly doing a Statler and Waldorf from the balcony wears thin.

If we dismissed all our (currently adjudged) NQR players - we would not be able to field a team.

• Like 6

The collective groan, OD, is because we know that our list has players that are NQR.

Some are doing a good job at the minute and that is the sum of what most are saying.

If we dismissed all our (currently adjudged) NQR players - we would not be able to field a team.

Exactly. We're not so far off the pack now either. To claim that a player clearly in our top 22 players would not be in the top 40 of most of the other clubs is not just illogical, but grossly unfair to the player in question. I think that the poster responsible has lost all perspective.

Exactly. We're not so far off the pack now either. To claim that a player clearly in our top 22 players would not be in the top 40 of most of the other clubs is not just illogical, but grossly unfair to the player in question. I think that the poster responsible has lost all perspective.

Lost my name Nasher?

That is your opinion I don't agree but I am not saying you should not give it.

Work-rate is undoubtedly one of Roosy's 'non-negotiables'. Ro Bail has it in spades ..... probably in the top 10 at Melbourne against this criterion. Further, he seems to my eyes to be steadily learning his craft (eg. running to better places and choosing better options) as well as improving his skills (eg. kicking and tackling). At this rate he will be best 22 at Melbourne for a fair while yet, and maybe add another 100 to his current games tally. The type of hard working foot-soldier that every club values.

• Like 1

The discussions on Jetta and Bail are interesting. Pedersen is in the same catagory.

In the past they haven't been sure of their role, they haven't had confidence in their place in the team, they have never been allowed to settle in one position (role) and because they are in the last half dozen picked every week they have been in and out of the team based on a week or perhaps two's performance. For the first time in some time we have a FD that is giving guidance and confidence to the players and ones who were once unsure are now confident that if they do what they are asked they will retain their spot.

OD says Bail is not AFL quality. FM. In a team that has been mostly competitive this year he's not missed a game, performed well in most and as the article on the AFL website points out is doing all the "team" things. Bail is not the player you build a team around but he is a player that will play his role in a good team which we are slowly becoming. He has courage, he plays hard, he runs all day and he does his job. He'd get a game at a lot more clubs than you think OD.

The other thing about Roos is he is strong on character. It puts Bail in a good position to retain his spot in the team and on the list. Personally rather than harp on about players being NQR I'd celebrate the reward for hard work and persistence Bail is getting. For a bloke that nearly had to give the game away because his courage saw him concussed regularly he's been fantastic.

Same thing for Jetta and Petersen who have both had their issues.

• Like 6

Not sure what you are getting at here rpfc

Care to enlighten me?

Lost my name Nasher?

Is he being needlessly dismissive?

That is your opinion I don't agree but I am not saying you should not give it.

Neither is he. He simply opined on the value of your posts when you are needlessly dismissive.