Players to target at the end of the year

I spoke to a prominent player manager who informed me I should be quite confident of seeing one of Treloar or Shiel at the Dees next year.

Treloar is contracted but apparently keen to look at opportunities elsewhere and they Giants have decided to make keeping Cameron, Patton and Boyd together, their priority. This means they'll certainly have to concede something in the midfield.

I wonder how keen Treloar is to look elsewhere. He's quietly moving himself into the top bracket of young midfielders.

His clearance work is elite, and his contested ball numbers are right up there with the best of them this year. He's not only has been winning it in close, Treloar provides a heap of run on the outside too. His tackling numbers are quite impressive too (helped along by his 14 tackle effort against us earlier this year).

I'm a big fan of Shiel and his left foot, but Treloar's all round game has been extremely impressive this year, and we should press hard if there's any chance of him being available.

• Like 2

It's much harder to change a poor culture that has become ingrained. For example, I doubt that Roos was devastated when Sylvia parted company wit the MFC, and Ross Lyon doesn't seem to have worked wonders with him at Freo.

I have to disagree, for most players as individuals.

Agree Re a club culture... to change a club culture from weak & a lazy one, IMO you have to clear out the leaders of the pack, & any resentful of change/ing, for the better. including the conservatives who harbor the virus unwittingly.

To bring in a talent who has the goods, but is from an Off environment, it mostly will work out well, as long as you have a strong leadership, already strongly established.

I don't think Waite is a rotten apple.

I myself don't think there's anything wrong with Waite. Not sure of his ways, regarding differing game styles, etc, as I haven't watched carltoon for years, & don't watch much footy nowadays.

However when ever I see him in the news or highlights, or snippets of games, I see a very competent & talented footballer who can turn games, & I see an old fashioned type player who can play.

I haven't seen him do the wrong thing, & I get the feeling he would like to be a leader & a role model. Maybe he hasn't been allowed to use his skills

in the right ways at the blue boyz.

I know nothing about his training standards, etc.

His on field actions getting rubbed out for stupid misdemeanours prove the point.

that happens to lots of players. It's only recent years where thats a major issue.

I'm sure that in a new environment which he has not been a part of the furniture whilst growing up; he will fall into line fairly well.... And remember, he would be a top up player, to take a lot of heat off the new kid Hogan.

So we would play him when we need him, & not play him when we don't. Or he plays back some weeks, & helps up front on others.

he will be in demand, I have No doubt.

I am pretty certain that the GWS wants to keep taking the top 2 to 3 players each year so will willing trade those they dont need, cannot afford or who dont want to stay to keep topping up with the best young talent at cheap rates so they can continue to cherry pick and keep the best.

• Like 1

Treloar is probably - alongside Macrae, Wines and Tyson - the most impressive young midfielder in the competition.

It is worth remembering tho that he has crossed the 50 game barrier - both Macrae and Tyson are on 30, with Wines on 41.

Macrae's development has been stunning. To think that he struggled to make the cut at junior level before cutting in up in his draft year is extraordinary.

What impresses me most is Treloar's inside/outside game. Not too many have such a high level all round game.

• Like 1

Doubt pick 3, 4 for GWS Cameron and Shiel would do it.

No brainer from our end if that's the case.

Since Cameron is contracted, gun and different type to Patton and Boyd, GWS will want both 3 and 4 for him.

Prob something like Pick 3 + Pick 4 for Cameron and GWS Pick 22? (their second round pick).

Would anyone pull the trigger on that? Love Cameron but not sure.

I'd say P-4 & P-23 for Cameron.

And P-3, for Shiel + P-24.

I cannot understand the basis for this, Viney is progressing well but Wines and McRae are well ahead.

The way Viney wins clearances and contested ball is far more superior to Wines and McRae. McRae makes poor choices and gets alot of loose ball that he turns over.

All 3 are going brilliantly, but Viney can do things that these boys cant

How are we front runners to get Cameron? Whoever finishes bottom of the ladder whether it be saints or lions will want him and they'll have a better pick than us, our only hope would be if Chip does leave and we package our first pick and compo for him- and I'm not too sure that would be the wisest move considering we have more pressing needs in other parts of the field.

Gws would want too much for Cameron. My guess is whoever lands pick 1 will deal with GWS, GWS will then use that to grb petranca, which could enable us to use pick 2/3/4 to land shiel or perhaps a quality mid from another team who are interested in one of the fancied KPF types who are touted to go early.

Or of course we keep both our early picks and just take them straight to the draft.

Let's not forget, if we lose Chip we have cover for him in one Hoges.

Very possible, sweet dee...

that happens to lots of players. It's only recent years where thats a major issue.

I'm sure that in a new environment which he has not been a part of the furniture whilst growing up; he will fall into line fairly well.... And remember, he would be a top up player, to take a lot of heat off the new kid Hogan.

So we would play him when we need him, & not play him when we don't. Or he plays back some weeks, & helps up front on others.

No, but as you posted earlier you would have no idea because you haven't seen any games.

I am pretty certain that the GWS wants to keep taking the top 2 to 3 players each year so will willing trade those they dont need, cannot afford or who dont want to stay to keep topping up with the best young talent at cheap rates so they can continue to cherry pick and keep the best.

Yep, we need to be best bed partners.

No, but as you posted earlier you would have no idea because you haven't seen any games.

oh really, I've seen young Waite play a lot of footy over his career. As his dad was one of my idols growing up, as was balme, & other hardmen. As well as wells, hardeman, alves, etc.

seriously rj, I think you play with it far too much matey. its supposed to be wakey wakey then hands off that snakey. have you gotten out of bed yet?

... so from this post, you decide to get on the attack????? hmmn, well you are really are easily intimidated aren't you.

seeing games means you have to enjoy whats taking place, & I do not like Rugby Union, & can't stand watching Basketball. much prefer Rugby League to these sports.

Our game to me has become a cross pollinate with Rugby Union & Basketball. so I can't watch it anymore. only our games on replay. study them.

I myself don't think there's anything wrong with Waite. Not sure of his ways, regarding differing game styles, etc, as I haven't watched carltoon for years, & don't watch much footy nowadays.

oh really, I've seen young Waite play a lot of footy over his career. As his dad was one of my idols growing up, as was balme, & other hardmen. As well as wells, hardeman, alves, etc.

seriously rj, I think you play with it far too much matey.

lol!!!

• Like 3

The way Viney wins clearances and contested ball is far more superior to Wines and McRae. McRae makes poor choices and gets alot of loose ball that he turns over.

I don't want to sound disparaging to Viney but I completely disagree. The others get more ball and are more balanced inside and outside. Viney has the better burst speed but has the least damaging disposal of the group and does most things so far on will. All will be excellent players in their own way but at this stage he is progressing well but behind the other two.

• Like 1

You are seriously delusional mate.

lol!!!

you really are some sort of smart arse wimp aren't you. now i see what a keyboard hero is.

I've just looked up his career.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-carlton-blues--jarrad-waite

he played his first games in 2003, & I haven't bothered to watch carlton & others like collingwood, mostly since around 2009ish.

I haven't worked out yet, if your even old enough to count, so let me add it up for you. five fingers on one hand is cinque (5), & one finger on your other hand (1)... add them together, & you should see six fingers (6)... hold them up now so we all can see, thats right 6 fingers. good boy you've done well.

now back to footy... 6 years of seeing young Waite play footy. enough time to tell if he can play, & once that has been established, now he's likely to be available for maybe 2 yrs.

and haven't watched carlton or the pies play much, over the last 4.5 yrs. & watching less & less as we speak. & haven't been to a game this year. one game at the VFL only.

so you must be able to see your own vision in the screen rj, if your laughing out loud that is.

you really are some sort of smart arse wimp aren't you. now i see what a keyboard hero is.

Pointing out your mistakes and inconsistencies doesn't make him a keyboard hero, it just makes him observant. For an older fella you act like a Prep when someone calls you out on it.

• Like 1

Pointing out your mistakes and inconsistencies doesn't make him a keyboard hero, it just makes him observant. For an older fella you act like a Prep when someone calls you out on it.

And you're all adding feck all to the discussion...

And you're all adding feck all to the discussion...

Just like you did there...

I don't want to sound disparaging to Viney but I completely disagree. The others get more ball and are more balanced inside and outside. Viney has the better burst speed but has the least damaging disposal of the group and does most things so far on will. All will be excellent players in their own way but at this stage he is progressing well but behind the other two.

I agree with this too. Viney has been terrific but Wines and Macrae are clearly ahead of him at this point in time.

why, 6 years isn't enough for you. I think it does make him a keyboard hero. & you'd be the 3nd man in, & the 2nd one down as well.

mistakes & inconsistencies? this is in your perception wiseblood. not my mistakes.

you see I know when i watch & when I stop, & I stopped patronising the clubs of the ilk of Calton & Collingwood 4.5 to 5 years back. And won't watch them anymore as long as they get pref treatment in fixturing, etc.

but that has nothing to do with knowing footy & players.

if you mention todays set plays, or tactical strategies, then can argue with yourself; as I'm not interested in the convoluted modern tactics. its spoiling the game & is why people are dropping off the TV ratings, & the ground attendances.

Just like you did there...

Agreed... I'm just so sick of all the chest thumping cr@p on here between posters. I highly doubt you lot would speak to each other in person like you do one here. So let's leave out the cr@p from at least one thread.

• Like 1

calls you out on what! you better explain as i have. comeon smart rse explain in print.

Edited by dee-luded

Just hope the AFL don't pull the bottom out of the bag downgrading any Frawley compo. Wouldn't surprise to see a derailment to protect GWS.

Free agency can be a [censored].