WATTS, SHORT CIRCUITING OR NOT?

picket fence

I actually felt sorry for him tonight.

14 minutes into the final quarter, AFL members wing. He is able to get his opponent under the ball, pushes out into space and runs onto the ball. With a paddock ahead of him, and Frawley and Dawes deep, he actually doubles back: he had no one in front of him, but for whatever reason doubled-back into the opponent. He's able to push aside the opponent and get some space again, but then kicks it straight into them.

The balls goes out of bounds, the supporters in the vicinity jeer and yell, and Jack throws his head down.

It was a sad, sad sight. That is a young man completely shot of confidence, and clearly not quite up to the task of AFL footy: he either lacked the confidence to run and carry, or simply panicked and looked back into the corridor for the handball. It was a frustratingly silly decision, and indicative of the club's struggles in going forward all year.

But Jack epitomised it better than anyone.

Gotta feel for the kid. But the VFL beckons. He is not AFL standard. Potential gets you so far. I'm getting sick of people saying he is "talented". Having a nice kick and side-step does not make you a good AFL player. The fundamentals required to win contests and put your team in a better position are things he really struggles with. Salem managed to do it twice in one quarter of football.

He may struggle to play 150 games. He is second-rate.

He is mentally shot and if he can't turn it around after a stint at Casey the best thing for both player and club is probably to find a new environment for him. I wonder if Carlton would do a Watts/Kreuzer trade?

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

Tonight's effort was as rubbish to me as it was to you, I don't think I've ever seen a player handball backwards as much as Watts did tonight.

Point being of all people to be getting in his ear every week, Roos is the man. I'm still optimistic this will potentially lead to something.

And/or maybe a really decent spray from Cross, after all respect from teammates seems to be fairly high on a player's motivation.

Roos can still be the (baddish) 'good cop' and Cross be the (really bad) 'bad cop'. I doubt Cross will hold back.

They could do the same with Howe. If Watts and Howe don't then 'get it' and start putting in on the field then it will be bad news for all. They will hardly be tradeable - other teams will say if Roos can't get the best out of them then no-one will!

• Like 1

If there was a line, a line that denoted leniency or blind faith or eternal patience by the Melbourne faithful I fear poor ol Jack crossed it decisively last night. Even the most staunch and most forgiving of this lads efforts must surely realise that JW is a 1st class NQR

An absolute gut wrenching shame . He has everything to be anything bar one simple element, the actual will to be that. Its liek he "plays" at a part without actually being it..

So disappointing :(

over to you Roos and the FD....do what must be done

• Like 2

I rang up SEN last night (I was Aiden from Geelong although my name isn't Aiden, but something similar sounding).
I spoke to Wallace about Watts and he agreed with everything I said and said he felt the same way; no endeavor, intent, intensity, respect etc.
He was as disappointed in his game tonight as I was. Thinks we should leave him on the wing for 5 or so games to basically just go for it, with what I infer means is to play for his career as I believe it is on the line.
You can teach kicking, hand balling, and skills etc, but I feel you can't teach bravery, attack and basically "giving a crap." At the moment Jack is playing like he just doesn't care about AFL footy, the MFC, or heart wrenchingly: US, the supporters.
Well Jack I am hurting. And everyone else is hurting because I am hurting and I know they care as much as me. You have supporters now who have defended you since day one 5 years ago starting to break from your lack of effort. Show them you give a damn, because we have always given a damn about you. You have it all, just [censored] find it, use it, care about it and stick it up everyone!

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As
  • Like 4

I have been a big supporter of Watts.

Last night I was calling for his head.

His performance was bordering on bizarre. It was as though someone spiked his Gatorade with marijuana just prior to the warm up.

That...wouldn't do anything.

His draft year is actually starting to look decidedly third-rate.

Watts - tried down forward, tried down back, tried in the midfield...failed everywhere, just soft and not a footballer

Naitanui - not a footballer, he cannot read the play

Hill - soft, but can play - lovely kick but doesn't get enough of the ball

Hartlett - injuries early on, but a sublime footballer

Hurley - tried down forward, tried down back, midfield is his next pit stop

Yarran - soft, up and down from quarter to quarter, let alone game to game

Rich - a smaller version of Moloney, can play but not a smart footballer

Vickery - soft and not a footballer

Ziebell - constantly injured but can play

Davis - constantly injured but can play

Sidebottom - deadset gun, clearly better than all players within the top 10 picks, bar perhaps Hartlett

Beams, Hanneberry, Shiels, Sloane all taken post pick 29, all better than the top 10.

Overall, that's not a great hit list.

• Like 1

Well Jack I am hurting. And everyone else is hurting because I am hurting and I know they care as much as me. You have supporters now who have defended you since day one 5 years ago starting to break from your lack of effort. Show them you give a damn, because we have always given a damn about you. You have it all, just [censored] find it, use it, care about it and stick it

up everyone!

It hurts because everyone can see what he could be if he only had the inclincation/will/desire/know-how to do it. I think he actually thinks he is doing everything possible but doesn't know how to actually attack the game - he looks lost like he knows everyone expects him to do more but he doesn't understand what that more is.

None of us want him to fail, we all would love him to turn the corner and become a solid contributor but he just doesn't know what to do to get there. That's why I thought he should've gone back to Casey after last week and left there for at least a month or two, not as punishment but for him to learn what is expected of him at a lower level. Not racking up possessions or beating inferior opponents but doing the team things, hitting the contests and running through the ball and player not just to them. I think he could find some confidence doing this in the two's and oculd come back a better player but he has never been forced to do that and last night may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. It definitely didn't help keeping him in the side, that much is clear.

• Like 2

can not believe some people are trying to compare him to Pend;ebury

Pendlebury goes to contests and thrives on them

Watts runs away from contests and avoids them at all costs

Watts will never be 1/20th the player Pendelebury is

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/jack-watts-urged-to-work-harder-20140427-zr0ch.html

Its not going un-noticed

Watt's it they say about Horses and Water ?

• Like 1

with you on this, i get sick to death of all the armchair critics sitting at heir typewriters telling people how Watts or Trengove or whoever are not up to it, the bloke along with about 5-6 others in the team are playing with no confidence. I know Watts and Trengove can play because l've seen it. I was there tonight and l hated what l saw with Watts but he is totally out of form and needs a run at Casey not to be judged by toerags who really have no right to judge AFL footballers.

You seem to be making judgements here. Does that make you a toerag?

• Like 3

He was crappo last night for sure.

Most the time I think the media are a bit hard on Watts.

But in this instance I hope they are ruthless.

Jack Watts has two options, 1. Play football, 2. Retire.

I have no time for Watts, I don't want to see him play for MFC ever again.

I wish Roos would just cut him now.

But unfortunately he cannot do that, so Jack has a lifeline, for christs sakes use it.

Jack needs some home truths told to him and a stint at Casey until he can prove that he can chase and run to contests.

Of course the selection committee will be the one's who take the second course of action but Paul Roos and his lieutenants should not be taking the first.

That, my friends, needs to come from the leadership group.
The reason why Roosy never needed to blast the Swans too often was because the playing group were the ones driving the standards. Now is the time for Jack to be called before the group and the group needs to tell him he needs to pick it up a notch. Jack was able to hide behind the 'difference of opinion' excuse with Neeld and potentially could do so with Roos (though Roos has more of a reputation than Neeld). If it's his peers telling him he needs to pick it up, it will have much more effect. The ball then will be in his court.
Jack was exposed last night. When everyone in the group is putting in and you are still floating around like you are in the TAC cup, it can make people pretty resentful. I think Crossy let him know about what he thought during the game.

Roosy has given more bakes in 6 weeks at the Dees than he did in ten years at the Swans (as far as I can remember). He can't carry the leadership load all by himself. Our senior blokes need to be driving the standards.