WATTS, SHORT CIRCUITING OR NOT?

picket fence

Ive done it as have other, compared him in a fashion , to Nick Riewoldt. Now Nick gets a LOT of attention, he takes it all and some. But from time to time he'll let someone know in a fashion. He'll give back niggle and isnt afraid of serious contact.

This is EXACTLY what Watts needs to be...ASSERTIVE.

if only....its his only missing piece !!!

I rate Watts. He has class.

What I don't rate is some of the relentless and inane criticism of him from certain of the keyboard warriors here.

Hey Ron Even the old ladies knitting scarves in the members are starting to wonder watt is up with Watts

I have never heard these partiular memebers be so vocal in their derision of Jack

In the end if Jack wants to play footy he will but he has to do it soon People including the Knitters are fast losing interest in him as a project

Ive done it as have other, compared him in a fashion , to Nick Riewoldt. Now Nick gets a LOT of attention, he takes it all and some. But from time to time he'll let someone know in a fashion. He'll give back niggle and isnt afraid of serious contact.

This is EXACTLY what Watts needs to be...ASSERTIVE.

if only....its his only missing piece !!!

Comparing Jack to Nick is just not on. One plays to win at all physical costs the other doesnt. Work it out!

We need Watts to change otherwise we will continue to be easy-beats, it's as simple as that.

Nathan Jones has every right as captain to be pretty annoyed with Watts, Jones has lifted his game since becoming captain but he needs his teammates to follow from his example otherwise it just won't work.

What I don't rate is some of the relentless and inane criticism of him from certain of the keyboard warriors here.

Ron take the jacket off and look at the game please

• Like 1

Comparing Jack to Nick is just not on. One plays to win at all physical costs the other doesnt. Work it out!

either youre being sarcastic or you actually missed that exact point

Give people criticism and eventually they are forced to change their ways, and if they don't change then they get moved on. Hopefully Jack changes his ways so we don't need to call him a soft [censored] every second week. Edited by J VINEY FAN
  • Like 1

That's the thing isn't it, it's not so much the stats - it's the way he approaches the game.

His lack of hunger in his leading and his chasing. Other guys around him have to work twice as hard.

In Sunday's game, he constantly set himself up in useless positions about 30 metres in front of our player with the ball, refusing to be a viable option for an inevitable long kick up the line.

I just pray he has some kind of amazing epiphany in the near future and turns this approach around.

Buzzy you are an astute observer of the game

either youre being sarcastic or you actually missed that exact point

Assertive doesnt do it for me Bee just doesnt Maybe a stronger less Pol correct term perhaps would be more appropriate

Watts is a good forward, but he is only serviceable in other positions.

I think Jack is a couple years off playing the football he needs to play.

It all comes down to aggression, it's just not there atm, mentally he is still a boy.

Jack is the type of guy who I assume still lives at home.

It is above the shoulders with Watts, it isn't football related.

Why I think he is a good forward and average in other areas, is because if we can deliver to him - he'll convert.

But.. Jack won't work for the leather, that won't come until he becomes a man.

• Like 2

Watts is a good forward, but he is only serviceable in other positions.

I think Jack is a couple years off playing the football he needs to play.

It all comes down to aggression, it's just not there atm, mentally he is still a boy.

Jack is the type of guy who I assume still lives at home.

It is above the shoulders with Watts, it isn't football related.

Why I think he is a good forward and average in other areas, is because if we can deliver to him - he'll convert.

But.. Jack won't work for the leather, that won't come until he becomes a man.

Couple of years he will be on the pension if he keeps going at this pace

No he didnt say that

Actually I did

There is no room in modern football for players who avoid physical contact at all costs. Watts is a great kick, he has all the talent in the world, but he can't survive playing like he did yesterday. To anyone who watched any of the Hawks vs Cats game today, did you see anyone consistently avoid physical contact the way Watts does, or anyone as inept at it?

We can sit around and sing kumbyyah whilst holding hands all we want, but it won't change the facts that no matter how talented someone is he won't succeed if he can't do the simple acts on a football ground. Hannibal got it right on BF, he'll be ok against poor teams but as soon as the intensity goes up he'll get found out. I want him to succeed, but I've changed my mind, I think he's a liability.

• Like 7

Watts was pathetic on Sunday. He plays bruise free football and I'm bloody fed up with his approach to the game.

He is a very skilful player but will never succeed until he bloody well steps it up a gear.

If he is still putting in these pathetic efforts later in the season then get rid of him.

Patience is running out with this bloke

In my opinion I just hope that he is just that.. a laconic but ultimately super talented player.

Why do people say 'laconic' when they mean 'lackadaisical'?

'Laconic' actually describes a person 'of few words'.

'Lackadaisical' means 'lacking enthusiasm and determination, or carelessly lazy'.

• Like 6

Why do people say 'laconic' when they mean 'lackadaisical'?

'Laconic' actually describes a person 'of few words'.

'Lackadaisical' means 'lacking enthusiasm and determination, or carelessly lazy'.

I think because Laconic is far easier to spell !! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Couple of years he will be on the pension if he keeps going at this pace

Hawkins was a junior 'flat track bully', going alright atm.

Mentally, Watts is still a boy against men, it is just unfortunate that Trengove also slides into that category.

I don't have the answers, but I know they need more aggression.

Maybe they've been nurtured by females all their lives, I do not know.. But it is no coincidence the young Selwoods are the best Selwoods, they've had to fight for it.

Trengove and Watts have it handed to them, they don't have to fight for anything.

I rules Crouch out when I watched an interview last year, said he laid his brother Brad out at a family do.

I thought, well, that rules him out from MFC.

Watts was pathetic on Sunday. He plays bruise free football and I'm bloody fed up with his approach to the game.

He is a very skilful player but will never succeed until he bloody well steps it up a gear.

If he is still putting in these pathetic efforts later in the season then get rid of him.

Patience is running out with this bloke

He needs to be sat in the middle of the group and some home truths be shot at him from the blokes he is letting down. Dawes, viney, Jones... All shattered after the game yesterday but all of them put in. Wonder if watts even gave a sh!t.

Watts is Sylvia with better disposal efficiency.

He needs to be sat in the middle of the group and some home truths be shot at him from the blokes he is letting down. Dawes, viney, Jones... All shattered after the game yesterday but all of them put in. Wonder if watts even gave a [censored].

I wonder if losing still doesn't bother him that much.

I think the opposition have also worked him out, his reputation precedes him,they only have to put physical pressure on him and he cant win the ball, also anyone that plays on him would be instructed to take the game on because any attempt at a chase or a tackle by Watts would normally be unsuccessful.

Edited by DeeZee

He needs to be sat in the middle of the group and some home truths be shot at him from the blokes he is letting down. Dawes, viney, Jones... All shattered after the game yesterday but all of them put in. Wonder if watts even gave a [censored].

I hold no hope for Watts anymore. I think he can be of some use forward.

But it comes down to aggression - or lack of it.

I'd be scraping the barrel, but I'd probably throw Watts in the midfield and leave him there.

He'd be useless there, but he'd either have to fight to get a kick - or he'd soon find himself in the VFL, then another club.

I'd maybe even throw him in the ruck, he'd have to find a way to use his body.

That would be scraping the barrel.