Changes for Round 6 vs Sydney

titan_uranus

On the cusp...Terlich, Watts, Mckenzie

Terlich for terrible mistakes and skill errors, not up to standard.

Watts for being so hopeless and inconsistent and soft.

Mckenzie for his lack of polish and attacking ability (yes I know he is a tagger) but he would never get a game in Fremantle's midfield or 90% of other teams.

Garland in for Georgiou makes us stronger down back

Jamar in for Spencer will make us stronger in the ruck and give us another marking option on the wing

And if fit, Kent deserves to be straight back into the team, probably at the expense of Evans.

If we had those three potential ins playing today, we would have come even closer to Gold Coast, if not won.

Even Roos acknowledged that subbing Tyson was a bad decision. He didn't have his best day, but still got more disposals in half a game of footy than a lot of the team.

Jamar in for Spencer will make us stronger in the ruck and give us another marking option on the wing

And if fit, Kent deserves to be straight back into the team, probably at the expense of Evans.

If we had those three potential ins playing today, we would have come even closer to Gold Coast, if not won.

Even Roos acknowledged that subbing Tyson was a bad decision. He didn't have his best day, but still got more disposals in half a game of footy than a lot of the team.

Georgiou had it coming at him pretty hard and fast today, and did ok.

Evans did ok 1 goal 5 disposals as sub... I would keep him in.

• Like 1

Georgiou McDonald Pedersen

Clisby Dunn Grimes

Viney Tyson Vince

Kent Frawley Bail

JKH Dawes Howe

Rucks: Jamar N.Jones Cross

INT: from M.Jones, Strauss, Mckenzie, Salem

Out:

Spencer - works really hard and a break may do him good, I think Jamar will go well head to head with Pyke

Evans - only because 2 weeks as a sub, Roos may keep him in for leg speed and running ability against the Swans

Jetta - If Kent is available he and Bail are better options as small forwards given the jobs to provide run hardness and defensive pressure

Terlich - turnovers are just to much at the moment, whilst the effort is fantastic the turnovers are hurting

Watts - yes he has polish and is the best kick in the side but needs to learn doesn't matter how good you are there are some non negotiables in footy

Ins:

Jamar - experience needed against Sydney, Dawes forward & Pedersen back to pinch hit in the ruck

Kent - if fit runs hard and provides some leg speed

Clisby - good performances in the VFL and better user of the ball than Terlich

Strauss - as above and better defender IMO than Jetta

Salem - I'll leave this one up to Roos, form calling for it but borderline with Evans as we are going to need numerous players to rotate through the middle or we will be over run by the Swans

Frawley & Dunn may have to swap depending on the Swans forwards of Tippett & Franklin

Garland again if Roos thinks he is ready then in but can't take any underdone players into the game

Match Ups

• To match Sydney we will need players to rotate through a variety of roles and we need to be up for a game with a lot of stoppages & tackles that's why Jordie stays in based on history.
  • At various times through the day I think with interchange and resting forward Viney, Tyson, Vince, Mckenzie, Cross, N.Jones, M.Jones & Kent all get runs through the middle with the Swans ability to rotate the Jacks, Kennedy, Hanneberry, McVeigh, Mcglynn, Parker, Cunningham & Mitchell through the middle.
  • Their Half Bank Flankers are dangerous and Kent and Bail need to be defensive forwards against either of R.Shaw, Malceski & McVeigh who all play these roles.
  • Grimes to do nothing other than negate Ben Mcglynn who will rotate from HFF to with short stints in the middle
  • TMac to get first job on Franklin and decision to be made between Dunn & Frawley to go to the tall forward of either LRT, Reid or Tippett depending upon who is named
  • Can't see a match up for Lewis Jetta who is a worry
  • Howe needs to provide plenty of decoy runs to prevent Smith going third man up to assist Richards and Grundy

We are up against a very hard working side next week and the side we pick has to provide effort, intensity and be disciplined with the structure Roos sets up

• Like 1

When we get back Garland, we should drop McKenzie and get Jack Grimes to play his stoppage role.

Grimes seems to always take a tall(er) forward, and struggles.

I believe he may do better than Jordie in that role and win some footy of his own.

We need Nathan to play positive not negative football, and I get itchy all over watching McKenzie.

Evans only got 1 quarter and a bit, but he's doing well. Got a goal and had another would-be goal smothered at the last moment.

He showed his chops in the GWS match last year, before being injured.

Keep Salem at Casey for half the season, he's only had 3 VFL games. He needs a lot longer to find his feet.

• Like 1

Evans only got 1 quarter and a bit, but he's doing well. Got a goal and had another would-be goal smothered at the last moment.

He showed his chops in the GWS match last year, before being injured.

Keep Salem at Casey for half the season, he's only had 3 VFL games. He needs a lot longer to find his feet.

Evans played 30% game time for 3 effective disposals.

Last week he played 30% game time for 1 effective disposal.

No, he is not "doing well".

• Like 4

Evans played 30% game time for 3 effective disposals.

Last week he played 30% game time for 1 effective disposal.

No, he is not "doing well".

You're right 'stuie', and the goal he got was a junk time goal with no pressure on. He must make more of an impact as a sub and not just run around in circles. This is not a knock on him but constructive criticism, he needs more composure and to think his game through.

The only way I would accept Watts playing next week is if Goodes comes back for the Swans, make Watts run with him and tell him if Goodes gets 3 meters on him he will be at Casey the next week

I'm having Morton déjàvu on multiple fronts now! ;)

• Like 3

Today hopefully showed just how useless Jordie McKenzie is as a player when not used 'specifically' as a tight tagger.

I watched him closely today play on a few different players and I will tell you now, we may as well have had 17 blokes on the field. He has absolutely no offensive mindset. No willingness or belief to get the footy himself and make the right decision and if people are going to argue the point of 'playing within your limitations' well then [censored] me we're never going to get anywhere as a side with players like him who do not have the ability to play at this level.

The same goes with Spencer, Pederson, Matt Jones, Evans, Bail, Georgiou.

And unless we address our complete lack of kicking skills, we're also not going anywhere fast anytime soon. Kicking out from our backline is a [censored] nightmare. We have no elite users. So nobody has the confidence to pinpoint a pass. Not only that, but Spencer has zero marking ability and clearly he even knows it as time and time again he just refused to present at kick ins.

It's honestly comicalto watch the MFC at times. We can be so poor. We still have so many completely unskilled players who literally kill us on game day. Even players who I admire for their tenacity and commitment like Terlich and McDonald were woeful with their disposal today. How many bad kickers can one side have?

It's disgusting.

• Like 3

That's about right for me. But we also need at least another 2 quick players over the ground and who have AFL standard kicking ability to pinpoint hit up leads or direct the ball to our advantage ie., on the fat side of our contesting forward so if it doesn't hit target it's on the correct side for him to run onto. One off HB and another outside mid who are willing to run the lines and take opponents on to create the overlap/link up and make our opponents chase us as well as take the occasional shot on goal themselves from 50 odd. Wear them down a little with positive "attacking" thrusts instead of us chasing their tail all day watching them making the attacking thrusts i50.

Personally i don't think we have these players right now and will need to draft them (hopefully) but i would certainly role the die on possibly one or more of Strauss, Clisby and/or Blease if they are showing something decent at Casey. And my outs for say two of these ins ... Watts and McKenzie.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Evans has had 4 effective disposals over the last two weeks as sub TOTAL. 30% game time in each.

Not good enough.

Evans is ranked last in the averages for effective disposals out of all players who have played so far this season.

He's averaged approx 46% "on the ground" game time in his 3 games this year.

Edited by Rusty Nails

The only way I would accept Watts playing next week is if Goodes comes back for the Swans, make Watts run with him and tell him if Goodes gets 3 meters on him he will be at Casey the next week

RG you're either the most amazing optimist the world has ever set eyes upon, or you're into your 5th glass of JD on the rocks.

• Like 1

IN: Salem, Clisby, Jamar

OUT: Evans, McKenzie, Spencer

I get the feeling Garland may need another week or two to blow the cobwebs off. Tyson, Watts, and Grimes scrape through this week due to their records. Jetta gets one more week to show something. Georgiou stays in until Garland is back. Spencer had a poor game today, still think Jamar will struggle to get around the ground but we need to try and get some clearances.

Finally someone wants Jordie dropped.

On the cusp...Terlich, Watts, Mckenzie

Terlich for terrible mistakes and skill errors, not up to standard.

Watts for being so hopeless and inconsistent and soft.

Mckenzie for his lack of polish and attacking ability (yes I know he is a tagger) but he would never get a game in Fremantle's midfield or 90% of other teams.

Agree!

Terlich and McKenzie are tryers, but their mistakes and fumbles are just too costly.

Watts - his lacklustre efforts yesterday really hurt. I'm starting to wonder if he really wants to be an AFL footballer!

It's not too late for him to re start a career in basketball!

I note a few call for Vince and Tyson to be dropped. Please get real, neither had a great game but over the season so far they have both earnt their pay and more. Who would you bring in to replace them?

• Like 1

Looking forward to the Viney v. Jack battle. Some on here want to give Spence the flick. I would think he would be unlucky, he's young , improving and hasn't done much wrong. The Swans have some really big bodies. Jamar might get a gig somewhere to assist him, but surely our future is with Spencer and Gawn.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the Viney v. Jack battle. Some on here want to give Spence the flick. I would think he would be unlucky, he's young , improving and hasn't done much wrong. The Swans have some really big bodies. Jamar might get a gig somewhere to assist him, but surely our future is with Spencer and Gawn.

I think the future might be who we can trade in.

• Like 1