Demons fan stay loyal - Martin Flanagan article

rufus

A nice little article from Martin Flanagan on his interaction with a couple of Dees supporters last week:-

Demons fan stay loyal during a tough afternoon

The article contains probably the most apt and accurate quote to cover off what we have been missing from our team over so many years. From Alfred whom Martin met on the train on the way to the game:-

We briefly discussed the Mongolian love of sport, which usually revolve around their skill, strength and daring as horsemen, similar qualities to those tested in an Australian football match. In sport as in life, Alfred says the challenge is to improve yourself to the level you didnt know you possessed when you began.

• Like 1

Says it all, really!

(I'm a 60 year old, life-long supporter who, as Flanagan so aptly puts it, "just keeps on keeping on"...! I just cut and pasted his article into an email to my daughter, another loyal Dees follower. Have to admit doing it through misty eyes. This morning I've watched the interviews with Roos, Jack Viney & Daniel Cross. And, I've read the article reporting there's every chance that Mitch Clark is finished. There's an ache in my heart. And, I'll be watching the game tomorrow, hoping against hope that the boys can get it together for a win...)

• Like 5

As per usual MF nails it.

A very intelligent man and a very good writer.

I often wonder if the injured/squad players should sit with the cheer squad on game day one weekend. I know it would be illogical in some cases, but can you imagine if gawn, garland, Dawes, hogan, tapscott and blease all went and sat down next to the dedicated members in the demon army and saw that they ride every turnover, every lazy chase or 1 handed mark attempt. I wonder if it would give them even 1% when they get their next chance, realising that by not getting the best out of themselves doesn't just do themselves a disservice, it really hurts the morale of the average club supporter who still goes every week. Afurthermore, magine if it moved them enough that they spoke to the other players, namely frawley, watts, Howe etc, and explained that every time you accepted your errors or lazy approach, thousands of already dispirited supporters and members just get that little bit closer to breaking point.

• Like 3

I agree with everything said here. I was reading the article about Mitch Clark with a sinking, heavy heart and teary eyes and then read this article.

I still had teary eyes but this was just a beautiful piece of writing. I always enjoy M.F pieces.

• Like 1

Fine writing. I've not read much of his, but I'll keep an eye out. His clever way of weaving a story is anathema to the shouty, stubby, formulaic hackery of C Wilson and D Barett et al. As someone who writes for a living, this has made me extremely glad.

A very intelligent man and a very good writer.

I often wonder if the injured/squad players should sit with the cheer squad on game day one weekend. I know it would be illogical in some cases, but can you imagine if gawn, garland, Dawes, hogan, tapscott and blease all went and sat down next to the dedicated members in the demon army and saw that they ride every turnover, every lazy chase or 1 handed mark attempt. I wonder if it would give them even 1% when they get their next chance, realising that by not getting the best out of themselves doesn't just do themselves a disservice, it really hurts the morale of the average club supporter who still goes every week. Afurthermore, magine if it moved them enough that they spoke to the other players, namely frawley, watts, Howe etc, and explained that every time you accepted your errors or lazy approach, thousands of already dispirited supporters and members just get that little bit closer to breaking point.

I would like it if Roos implemented this.

Jimmy used to sit in the cheer squad. Maybe Glen could join in for a few weeks just to get his face out there.

All that's left of our club on an elite scale is the Demon Army. Those guys are commendable.

Edited by HFF

Any supporter that thinks the players don't know what the supporters think is completely wrong, most try the extra 1% but for a myriad of reasons it doesn't work, this is what Roos is saying, it is his job to get 22 players who consistently get it to work

The Flanagan article is up to his usual standard

Edited by Satyriconhome

Fine writing. I've not read much of his, but I'll keep an eye out. His clever way of weaving a story is anathema to the shouty, stubby, formulaic hackery of C Wilson and D Barett et al. As someone who writes for a living, this has made me extremely glad.

If you want to read a great footy book do yourself a favour and get your hands on The Last Quarter by Flanagan. Included are a trilogy of books covering the a look back on the 1970 Grand Final, a year he spent embedded at the Bulldogs in 1993, and one titled "The Game in Time of War" which is self-explanatory. Probably the best book on footy I've read.

• Like 1