Training - Monday, 20th January, 2014

Whispering_Jack

Thanks Swooper. Great news. And I'm a fan of Michael Evans so good to see he's in the thick of things.

FWIW, Evans is my pick as the bloke who smashes our perception of him. I rate him highly in terms of footy nous.

• Like 4

I only stopped for 10mins on my way past, but Viney was going full throttle. I know he has been managed of late, but he was very quick and agressive in the drill I saw. 4 on 4, offence/defence. He actually took Pickles Evans out with a heavy hit and they both had to step out of training for 5 mins. Tappy back with the rehabers. I wonder if it was a light day for him or something else. I suppose we'll know more later in the week.

Good/better news on Viney, want him playing non-stop 2014

Just got back. Had to leave after two hours because of Richmond parking restrictions. The boys were still going strong at 11:30am. Roos is back!

Some observations...

Viney was indeed training full throttle. His hit on Evans was the kind of thing you love to see in a game, but I reckon Evans feels it unnecessary in a training drill. Viney only knows one way. The product of this bump was that Evans went to the sidelines and resumed after 15 minutes. Viney eventually headed indoors with a rather forlorn look on his face (may have slight concussion - Evans seemed to have neck soreness).

Standouts for me...

Strauss - I still have question marks but his efforts at training today were first class. He was very quick and for sustained time, gave it everything.

Spencer - I'm now glad he is the last big man standing. Could be a breakout year. (no sign of Jamar today)

Michie - mature body, strong inside and ready to rock n roll.

Frawley - bristling and fit

Nat Jones - clean as a whistle in ball-handling

Howe - great run, good foot skills

Garland was with the rehab group today, along with Tappy, Clark, Dawes, Gawn, Hogan, Kent, Fitzpatrick and Aidan Riley (I think)

Hogan seemed to be running okay... not 100% yet.

I am pleased to report that Maia Westrupp is getting the hang of the game and trained well in the main group.

Harmes and Hunt move well, very pacey and lots of upside.

Good to see Clisby back with main group.

Georgiou a capable ball-handler, runs hard, kicking not as bad as some have indicated.

Tyson did enough to show he will help lift our midfield.

Oh yeah, Bernie Vince is a gem!

• Like 28

I left training at about 12 when the main group had finished.

Unsighted today was Matt Jones although he may have joined the rehab group after they left the main oval and did running and other drills on the old training oval. But I didn't see him or Garland. The rest of the rehab group were as WW has said.

The balls were out from the beginning and there was a lot of enthusiasm in the group.

Players who stood out for me today were Strauss and Blease. I haven't read much about Strauss in the reports to date but he didn't put a foot wrong today. He ran hard, kicked very well and didn't fumble.

Blease also trained well. In the first session back after Christmas when he ran 300's he fell off the pace in the second and third repeats. There were no 300's today but when the ball went away after about 2 hours they did some 40 and 80 metre reps and Blease had no trouble keeping up. His kicking during training was very good and he stayed behind after training had finished to do some specific goal kicking.

Towards the end of training Clisby left the main group and did multiple laps as did Hogan and Gawn. None of the rehab group looked significantly troubled and Dawes wasn't wearing any bandage on his knee.

Barry was training with the midfielders and looks good although it was disappointing to see both he and Kennedy Harris make some silly skill errors when under no pressure. I'd be surprised to see either play much footy early this year.

Today was the first time I'd seen Salem train and he was quite impressive with sure hands and beautiful kicking. He, Toumpas, Watts, Strauss and Blease all kicked the ball well today in what was a solid and good training session.

And what would a training report be without Watts. Trained with the mids and when they were practising centre square clearances he played as the wingman. He got his fair share of contested ball and as usual made good decisions. But all of this is just "dancing with your sister" and we won't really be able to judge until the first NAB cup match.

• Like 24

Any word on McKenzie? Barely heard a thing about him in any of the training reports.

Feels like it's been some time since he's been able to have an uninterrupted pre season and I personally still think he has a bit to offer as a tagger.

I reckon that's because nobody has McKenzie in their best 22.

I think he'll play 22 games by default (if fit) this year due to him being our number 1 tagger.

I reckon he'll play a handful of games this year due to him being our number 15ish midfielder.

Thanks for that depressing info TT

Sorry Mate, Im not very happy with it either...but thats coming from the horses mouth himself...He was overheard saying this pretty much.

Personally I cant see Pedersen being in the side on a regular basis...I'd say he may be getting a little ahead of himself...he is a filler of roles or a bit of a utility maybe in my eyes because he's been poor in the forward line to date.

We cant have Hogan,Dawes & Mitch and Howe and other forwards all injured at once surely..and they still have X-amount of time to get right before round one anyhow.

Just got back. Had to leave after two hours because of Richmond parking restrictions. The boys were still going strong at 11:30am. Roos is back!

Some observations...

Viney was indeed training full throttle. His hit on Evans was the kind of thing you love to see in a game, but I reckon Evans feels it unnecessary in a training drill. Viney only knows one way. The product of this bump was that Evans went to the sidelines and resumed after 15 minutes. Viney eventually headed indoors with a rather forlorn look on his face (may have slight concussion - Evans seemed to have neck soreness).

Standouts for me...

Strauss - I still have question marks but his efforts at training today were first class. He was very quick and for sustained time, gave it everything.

Spencer - I'm now glad he is the last big man standing. Could be a breakout year. (no sign of Jamar today)

Michie - mature body, strong inside and ready to rock n roll.

Frawley - bristling and fit

Nat Jones - clean as a whistle in ball-handling

Howe - great run, good foot skills

Garland was with the rehab group today, along with Tappy, Clark, Dawes, Gawn, Hogan, Kent, Fitzpatrick and Aidan Riley (I think)

Hogan seemed to be running okay... not 100% yet.

I am pleased to report that Maia Westrupp is getting the hang of the game and trained well in the main group.

Harmes and Hunt move well, very pacey and lots of upside.

Good to see Clisby back with main group.

Georgiou a capable ball-handler, runs hard, kicking not as bad as some have indicated.

Tyson did enough to show he will help lift our midfield.

Oh yeah, Bernie Vince is a gem!

Great report. Like your comment re Maia Westrupp. I looked at his youtube clip from a while back and his kicking was that of a kid you gave to the other side to make up the numbers.

• Like 1

Thanks Swooper. Great news. And I'm a fan of Michael Evans so good to see he's in the thick of things.

FWIW, Evans is my pick as the bloke who smashes our perception of him. I rate him highly in terms of footy nous.

Are you assuming that everyone bar yourself rates him poorly?

Are you assuming that everyone bar yourself rates him poorly?

'Pooorly' is your word Redleg. No, I think most people's perception is that they think he can be a good player. I'm suggesting he can go beyond that.

'Pooorly' is your word Redleg. No, I think most people's perception is that they think he can be a good player. I'm suggesting he can go beyond that.

Yes, poorly is my word, as that is what I thought you were suggesting. You have explained that what you meant is that most think he will be a good player, but you think he will smash that perception.

That can either mean that you think he will become a champion or a failure, both of which would be a smashing of the perception.

Yes, poorly is my word, as that is what I thought you were suggesting. You have explained that what you meant is that most think he will be a good player, but you think he will smash that perception.

That can either mean that you think he will become a champion or a failure, both of which would be a smashing of the perception.

Oh for facks sake. I am very hopeful that in 2014

1. He will be a much improved player and

2. You will be all knowing, mind numbingly petty

• Like 3

Agree with WW, we trained well as he always does. Main group, full session including the sprints at the end. Regularly won contested possession at the stoppage practices.

He is another one I am prepared to give a clean slate to.

McKenzie circa the last 3 years - you would be right in thinking that he doesnt have a long term future.

However with good training and repetitive training that the likes of Roos and Stone will be imparting..... Be trained to go to the right spot and knowing that someone is going to be where he is trained to be and repeatedly being drilled in that....We know that McKenzie can get down and dirty and to where the ball is at.

I am not saying that McKenzie will all of a sudden become a star or even that he will be a mainstay in our team. He is another of many I will give a clean slate too and say - no previous history - all past performances and weaknesses are forgiven. Prove yourself now. He like Watts, Bail, Tapscott, Dunn and lots of others have a fresh chance with what I believe are good educators to make good forward progress. Its up to them.

Postscript - I watch the good midfields - especially Geelong and Hawthorn and am amazed at how they clear a ball from a stoppage. So many times players who second receive the ball dont get the ball because they are seen or heard. They get it because it is a drill and without looking or hearing, their teamate knows they will be there. Thats where we need to get to.

• Like 5

Hi Wayne & Bob! Thanks for the updates, well written and definitely worth reading. How is the Toump looking? Heard early on in pre season he was going great, but not hearing much lately. Is he in the Rehab group? Also keen to know how well Hogan is going?

He is another one I am prepared to give a clean slate to.

McKenzie circa the last 3 years - you would be right in thinking that he doesnt have a long term future.

However with good training and repetitive training that the likes of Roos and Stone will be imparting..... Be trained to go to the right spot and knowing that someone is going to be where he is trained to be and repeatedly being drilled in that....We know that McKenzie can get down and dirty and to where the ball is at.

I am not saying that McKenzie will all of a sudden become a star or even that he will be a mainstay in our team. He is another of many I will give a clean slate too and say - no previous history - all past performances and weaknesses are forgiven. Prove yourself now. He like Watts, Bail, Tapscott, Dunn and lots of others have a fresh chance with what I believe are good educators to make good forward progress. Its up to them.

Postscript - I watch the good midfields - especially Geelong and Hawthorn and am amazed at how they clear a ball from a stoppage. So many times players who second receive the ball dont get the ball because they are seen or heard. They get it because it is a drill and without looking or hearing, their teamate knows they will be there. Thats where we need to get to.

I wish I could erase the memories and give all and sundry a fresh start like you nut bean.

Unfortunately some of them are burned so deep I will carry them forever.

Hi Wayne & Bob! Thanks for the updates, well written and definitely worth reading. How is the Toump looking? Heard early on in pre season he was going great, but not hearing much lately. Is he in the Rehab group? Also keen to know how well Hogan is going?

Toump did the full session. HIs kicking is great.

Hogan is in rehab but was running without difficulty and there was no bandage on his knee.

• Like 6

I think the reality is regarding our team, save 3-4 players everyone's slate is clean.

The club was in a dark dark place. Now a new verve has come over the team, almost as a whole.

Until we see them perform underfire we really just have to assume everyone's trying to be up.

I think more than a few players are treating it also as a new start. Time will tell :)

• Like 1

I wish I could erase the memories and give all and sundry a fresh start like you nut bean.

Unfortunately some of them are burned so deep I will carry them forever.

Not only you and I, but unfortunately some of the players too. My expectation is that there will be noticeable improvement in the playing list. The reality is that some wont and will disappear end of the season.

• Like 5

Toump did the full session. HIs kicking is great.

Hogan is in rehab but was running without difficulty and there was no bandage on his knee.

Thanks Mate, good to hear! In these 2 plus Salem, JKH, Viney and the rest, we have the bones of a very good side being put together. Here's hoping!

• Like 2