Round 1, 2014. Who do you want?

mrtwister

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Week 1

Friday:

North Melbourne vs Essendon - Etihad

Saturday:

Carlton vs Port Adelaide - Etihad

GWS vs Sydney

Sunday:

Fremantle vs Meth Coast - Subiaco

Week 2:

Friday:

Collingwood vs St Kilda/Adelaide - Etihad

Saturday:

Geelong vs Adelaide/St Kilda - Skilled or whatever it is

Gold Coast vs Richmond - Metricon

Sunday:

Hawthorn vs Brisbane - Launceston

Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne - Etihad

Every State gets a game in Round 1 except for South Australia who have requested a Showdown for the Opening of the Adelaide Oval wihich also falls under the Cricket Ground issue. If AFL are looking for exposure on Friday night I think they will go with North vs Essendon on the first week and either of Pies vs St Kilda or Adelaide, I have not seen the AFL.com article so not sure whether Cats vs Crows is set stone. The above draw provides a good spread of games in Victoria over the two weeks.

I wouldn't mind the Bulldogs at Etihad provided its their home game.

Considering the MCG is taken, playing at Etihad against the Bulldogs is probably the next best thing (I don't believe in hoodoos).

Would have liked round 1 to be a home game at the G against a Victorian club so Roos could enter on the big stage but oh well.

I think getting a winnable game first up is crucial for us. We can't come out round 1 and get belted or we risk losing the players momentum and belief.

A competitive match - that's all I ask for and I think that's very possible against the Bulldogs. (We can test out our new midfield :) )

Edited by Young Dee

I wouldn't mind the Bulldogs at Etihad provided its their home game.

Considering the MCG is taken playing at Etihad against the Bulldogs is probably the next best thing (I don't believe in hoodoos).

Would have like round 1 to be a home game at the G against a Victorian club so Roos could enter on the big stage but oh well.

I think getting a winnable game first up is crucial for us. We can't come out round 1 and get belted or we risk losing the players momentum and belief.

A competitive match - that's all I ask for and I think that's very possible against the Bulldogs. (We can test out our new midfield :) )

We should go into Round 1 with a mindset that any game is winnable. By round 2, though, reality may have settled in.

you just get that crappy feeling we're going to play the Aints at Nowhere stadium opening round

still ...a win's a win :)

you just get that crappy feeling we're going to play the Aints at Nowhere stadium opening round

still ...a win's a win :)

bb that is far from the worst result IMO

- We have a good chance of putting in a good result, maybe a hard fought win.

- it is in Melbourne so we get to go to the first game and memberships could grow with a win in the first game.

- it is not in the NT

Sorry could not help myself

So far in round 1 as reported in the papers and afl.com:

North Melbourne V BYE - Eithad confirmed

Gold Coast V Richmond - Metricon

Geelong V Adelaide - Simmonds

Hawthorn V Brisbane - Tassie

Carlton V Port Adelaide - Etihad

GWS V Sydney - Skoda (possibility but not confirmed)

So that leaves us to possibly playing Bulldogs, St Kilda or Collingwood at Etihad or Freo/West Coast at Pattersons.

I think it will be Freo or Wce in Perth in round 2 with hopefully a home game at the G in round 2.

Couple of updates I've heard on bigfooty that sound reliable.

Round 1 GWS v Sydney will now be a traditional fixture.

First round will be a split round.

No games can occur at any of the cricket venues due to earlier start with no NAB cup - MCG, Adelaide Oval, Gabba, SCG all ruled out

Richmond v Carlton will kick off round 2

Port v Adelaide round 2 at Adelaide oval

The Kangaroos are likely to get one of the Friday night matches to kick off the season either week 1 or week 2 expect it to be against a high drawing club - Collingwood, Essendon etc.

So out of the 9 games expect 5 or 6 to be at Etihad, one maybe at Geelong, one in Perth, one on the Gold Coast and GWS v Sydney.

Obviously Geelong would be a nightmare in a lot of ways. In other ways if we are going to have our customary thrashing may as well be at Geelong. If we compete and don't lose by much (Say under 8 goals) we might take a lot from it for round 2.

About the best we could do is Gold Coast up there (would be tough), Carlton, the doggies or St Kilda at Etihad. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the saints so at least one struggling side gets an early win on the board. I'd actually prefer either of those than us hosting a game at Etihad, that would be bad football wise and financially.

Expect round 2 for us to get an interstate team at the G - West Coast, Brisbane or GWS would be my tip.

I'd be happy with one of those, there.

Very happy to play the Dockers in Perth Rd1 if it comes that way. The fixture will see us pay the likes of GWS, Saints twice anyway, so don't care about when. I really like the thought of the players training all pre season with a view to Freo away, might just harden them up a bit.

We'd all expect to get smashed, cause hey we have for years......but mate just maybe? I don't think we'd win but momentum can be built from showing structure, discipline and spirit.

Go on the road boys and come home proud. As Ross Lyon says "anyone, anywhere, anytime".

Lets go get revenge on Messydrugs!

By next year they shouldhave issues with fielding a team let alone a competitive one

Please somebody we're not expected to win against. I can't take going in with hope again like the last two years.

Is the Western Derby a cert for Round 1? If not I'll take Freo at Subi and get that out of the way - hopefully with an honest loss instead of a full scale beating.

Please somebody we're not expected to win against. I can't take going in with hope again like the last two years.

Is the Western Derby a cert for Round 1? If not I'll take Freo at Subi and get that out of the way - hopefully with an honest loss instead of a full scale beating.

Interesting thought that hasn't popped up too much.

There might be something to be said for having a decent opponent in Round 1 to take the pre-season expectations and pressure off a tad. A loss in Round 1, even a big one, wouldn't smash our confidence as much as a loss in the mould of losing to Port or to Brisbane last year.

North Melbourne for mine.

They belt us every time we play them, especially at Etihad.

Although round 1, 2014 would be no different, I want our boys to start building a rivalry with them that is born from not standing for their dominance over us anymore.

They see us as soft, silverspooners (currently spot on) and I want this Paul Roos led MFC to represent the exact opposite and therefore what better team to start disproving this image against.

Plus I'm sick to death of their whining supporter base who ring in and complain at the mere mention of our name on radio.

I would love nothing more than to start handing out some punishment to the Kangas and their supporters.