What value is 'free agency'?

corowa

Do you have me on ignore or something?

The bands are set. The die is cast.

Band 3 is pick 22 for us.

Band 4 will be around 37. Band 5 around 41.

band 3 is a 2nd Round pick?

How can it be so close to Franklin, this is the biggest contract drawn up in decades?

band 3 is a 2nd Round pick?

How can it be so close to Franklin, this is the biggest contract drawn up in decades?

Go back and read what he's posted, he's only been posting it all year.

Also, they finished first, and we finished basically last. Consider what difference that may make when pondering draft positions.

• Like 2

Go back and read what he's posted, he's only been posting it all year.

Also, they finished first, and we finished basically last. Consider what difference that may make when pondering draft positions.

I am looking at the quality of player.

Col was lazy for a decade. Franklin was not. The system is a farce.

I am looking at the quality of player.

Col was lazy for a decade. Franklin was not. The system is a farce.

You could look at the quality of the player. One possible alternative could be to look at the actual rules instead.

• Like 3

Either way my take on the FA trend so far is good players going to stronger clubs. Good players from strong clubs going to other strong clubs and good players from weak clubs going to strong clubs. There has been some movement of journeymen over 30 going the other way of course. And there are some compensatory picks at the AFLs discretion. You take our experienced, hard bodied, proven players and we get a second round lottery pick for an 18 year old with potential. This is not a great way to do business in a competitive market. And is there a more competitive market than the AFL?

Add to this that young players homesick or surplus to needs at GWS or Suns or any of the interstate clubs are openly saying they will only move to clubs like Geelong, Pies or Hawks.

AFL commissioners, I think we have a problem! But then they can't think through things without Vlad to tell them what to think.

• Like 1

I've always seen it as a good opportunity for struggling clubs to poach good players at good clubs who struggle to get a game (such as Dawes).

That's the problem with FA - clubs like ours will only ever be able to attract second rate players (eg Dawes) and never be able to attract the top line players (in this example Cloke). Whereas the stronger teams will take the best players from the poorer clubs (eg Goddard).

Didn't one of the best players from the Premiers leave in FA?

It is only a disaster if you don't work out how to use it to your advantage.

I will let you whinge for a couple years, but at some point you are going to have to build that bridge because it is here to stay.

Yeah which club did he go to? It wasn't a bottom feeder.

That's the problem with FA - clubs like ours will only ever be able to attract second rate players (eg Dawes) and never be able to attract the top line players (in this example Cloke). Whereas the stronger teams will take the best players from the poorer clubs (eg Goddard).

Dawes wasn't a FA. We payed overs in money and trade pick 20 as I remember it. But a deal worth doing at the time. That is our lot we will always have to pay overs and usually through trades. FA will burn us mostly. It is the rich mans and rich clubs rule of choice!!!

Yes. Like if Franlin is Band 1 & Col is Band 3 (fair call)..Where has Band 2 disappeared to??

Really?

Band 1 is the pick behind a teams 1st round pick.

Band 2 is an end of 1st round pick.

Band 3 is the pick behind a teams 2nd round pick.

Band 4 is an end of 2nd round pick.

Band 5 is the pick behind a teams 3rd round pick.

Do you get it now?

Because the brick wall to my left is saying 'rp, we get it, we get it. Enough already'...

We can only get 'second rate' players because we have been a terrible club for 7 years. Wheel will turn and with it will FA.

It isn't biased. If you have the money and the pitch - you can get the player.

The problem is that the pitch is usually "can win a flag" which doesnt apply to all clubs.

Really?

Band 1 is the pick behind a teams 1st round pick.

Band 2 is an end of 1st round pick.

Band 3 is the pick behind a teams 2nd round pick.

Band 4 is an end of 2nd round pick.

Band 5 is the pick behind a teams 3rd round pick.

Do you get it now?

Because the brick wall to my left is saying 'rp, we get it, we get it. Enough already'...

I haven't seen it anywhere (doesn't mean to say it isn't out there!) but who says Sylvia is band 3?

Or to be more precise rp is there a specific formula for working out which band someone will be? I thought it depended a fair bit on length of contract and $$$. If that is the case, Sylvia's 3 year deal at 300k a year aprrox I couldn't see being band 3 on past experience

I could come back at you with where did you get those numbers from?

Salary, b+f, games played play a factor.

I say Band 3 because Chaplin and Pearce were Band 3 and I really do not think they would be on the kind of coin that would seperate them from Colin.

I could come back at you with where did you get those numbers from?

Salary, b+f, games played play a factor.

I say Band 3 because Chaplin and Pearce were Band 3 and I really do not think they would be on the kind of coin that would seperate them from Colin.

Reported as such out west

Thought I would put this together to make the results of Free Agency clear, many players who were trades (like Brian Lake and Chris Dawes) are being used against FA. I have not included Delisted free agents as i think this is irrelevant to any discussion regarding teams losing required players. Also I have put the results in ladder order to make it clear which teams are most affected. I will do 2013 when its finished but here is 2012:

Lost Gained2012Hawthorn Tom Murphy, Clinton Young Pick 64

Adelaide Chris Knights Nothing

Sydney None NoneCollingwood None Quinten Lynch, Clinton YoungWest Coast Quinten Lynch Pick 60Geelong Shannon Byrnes, Jared RiversFreo None Danyle PearceNorth None NoneSt Kilda Brendon Goddard Pick 13 Carlton None NoneEssendon None Brendon GoddardRichmond None Troy ChaplinBrisbane None NonePort Danyle Pearce, Troy Chaplin Pick 29, Pick 30 WB None NoneMelbourne Brent Moloney, Jared Rivers Shannon Byrnes, Pick 48GC None Tom Murphy

GWS None None

Needless to say we have not been well served by FA, as it stands we have lost Brent Moloney, Jared Rivers and Colin Sylvia for a net gain of Shannon Byrnes, Pick 48 and most likely another 3rd round pick. Not a good return for three experienced players who would all be best 22 when they left.

Yes, clearly free agency has destroyed clubs.

It would have been without COLA.

If the AFL got rid of he allowance, Buddy would be in orange and charcoal like they have been dreaming about.

GWS has the same COLA as Sydney so I don't see how it could've made a difference?

Either way GWS is hardly a good example considering they are a new expansion team being heavily backed by the AFL to consolidate their base.

We can only get 'second rate' players because we have been a terrible club for 7 years. Wheel will turn and with it will FA.

It isn't biased. If you have the money and the pitch - you can get the player.

The worry is that FA will jam a spanner in the wheel and stop it turning.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo