Bombers after Sylvia

stuie

Going to be a very interesting few days/weeks after today... ASADA wise and to see where that leaves the bummers, the league and players like Col.

I would be amazed if he stayed at MFC but would also be surprised if he went to the bummers with the situation they are in.

As an aside I cannot believe they have gone to the members for donations to pay of their massive debt!!! They chose to go and spend $7mill on their Tulla training base and now want the members to pay up for it ASAP, again Little looks like he is out of his place. Although I'm sure the deluded bummers faithful will scurry to the wallets to chuck in for the plight they are in no questions asked.

what a joke that Essendon are allowed to take part in the free agency period

Basically cancels out their draft penalties as they can just buy players instead

Not that anyone would want to play for or be associated with a club that are drug cheats

• Like 3

The statement made was "It's amazing how perceptions of how good a player could be lead to people turning on their own"

I'll go one better - Considering the high draft pick Colin was

How much bearing should the 2003 judgement (a decade ago) of Melbourne recruiters (a favourite target of Demonland posters) on how they ranked an 18 year old Colin Sylvia in comparison to other kids his age have when you try and value him now?

How much bearing should the 2003 judgement (a decade ago) of Melbourne recruiters (a favourite target of Demonland posters) on how they ranked an 18 year old Colin Sylvia in comparison to other kids his age have when you try and value him now?

Good point and the answer is almost none. After all, we've had ten years to assess his value.

I don't think you can really attack the recruiters for their choice of Sylvia and McLean in that draft which has turned out to be one of the most shallow in the recent history of drafts. The truth is that we picked the wrong year to tank list manage. If we'd done it in 2004 we could have picked up Roughead and Franklin instead and who knows what direction we might have taken then?

Col is a required player. The Ros wants to keep him is because he can build a game plan around Sylvia and and couple of other class players including Watts, Howe and Clark. We have too few of these types to let any of them go. There is no doubt the Col has not maximised his talent but the team is better with him in it. What we dont need is to lose another senior player from the locker room and big body to get in a teenager. Will he get us into a grandfinal, probably not, but between now and then we need to hang on to some older heads and bigger bodies to be competetive.

• Like 5

I think you have to hand it to Essendon for trying. They're under siege over the drug issue and even more particularly are being run by the wrong person and idiotically, announced Hird's reappointment virtually effective from round 23 next year come what may.

Nevertheless, facing the loss of Crameri, they're going out to find a replacement that will cost them nothing in terms of draft picks to shore up their list. They know there's a strong possibility of them being in strife if the infraction notices start coming and they're doing something about it.

In the worst case scenario, Colin might have some interesting teammates in the event of the Bombers losing the dozen or so players to the ASADA investigation. I suppose he'll have to take that into account when considering their offer.

Not sure who at Essendon is supposedly orchestrating this, They haven't a CEO or a footy operations manager or a coach.

Col is a required player. The Ros wants to keep him is because he can build a game plan around Sylvia and and couple of other class players including Watts, Howe and Clark. We have too few of these types to let any of them go. There is no doubt the Col has not maximised his talent but the team is better with him in it. What we dont need is to lose another senior player from the locker room and big body to get in a teenager. Will he get us into a grandfinal, probably not, but between now and then we need to hang on to some older heads and bigger bodies to be competetive.

Agree 100%. Perhaps even more than that in fact.

I think he has demonstrated enough talent that show why he was ranked so highly - the issue is that he shows that abundance of talent so rarely.

What I don't understand is why would any player want to go anywhere near Methendon?

Col could go there and two weeks later find out all the players have infraction notices and there will be no games for the next two years, or worse get drugged with something.

Not sure who at Essendon is supposedly orchestrating this, They haven't a CEO or a footy operations manager or a coach.

Presumably if they did, they'd know enough to not bother with Sylvia.

It's almost the perfect match:

A club with the urgency to do something to maintain the status quo, despite no coach, GMFO, etc in place, that would give it direction and know better than to throw a lot of money at a perennial underachiever like Sylvia;

and a player with no real ambition and not enough smarts to avoid a club with so many clouds hovering over it.

Good point and the answer is almost none. After all, we've had ten years to assess his value.

I don't think you can really attack the recruiters for their choice of Sylvia and McLean in that draft which has turned out to be one of the most shallow in the recent history of drafts. The truth is that we picked the wrong year to tank list manage. If we'd done it in 2004 we could have picked up Roughead and Franklin instead and who knows what direction we might have taken then?

The way we went about things we probably still wouldnt have picked them !!

Interesting that the Bombers had a late night meeting last night with Martin, before the Tigers met up with him this morning to have signed a $1m / 2year deal.

Clearly the Bombers will be keen on talking to Sylvia to add to their midfield depth.

...and the Bombers were after Moloney over the last couple of years, according to some he had signed. Who knows with Col, it could be a load of BS. It certainly doesn't make much sense.

Maybe Col will end up in Brizzie? if he goes.

Edited by dee-luded

Obviously I'd prefer he stay, because at the very least it shows the rest of this list when you become a FA it doesn't mean you HAVE TO go, but if he does go I honestly don't care who he goes to, as long as it isn't essendrug.

I hope they get no one, lose everyone and are on their knees by 2016 and relocated to Darwin or Tassie by 2017. I hate them and want them to burn.

Obviously I'd prefer he stay, because at the very least it shows the rest of this list when you become a FA it doesn't mean you HAVE TO go, but if he does go I honestly don't care who he goes to, as long as it isn't essendrug.

I hope they get no one, lose everyone and are on their knees by 2016 and relocated to Darwin or Tassie by 2017. I hate them and want them to burn.

Gee BBB stop beating about the bush tell us what you really think of the Bombers!

If we lose Col to the Bombers and we don't bring any Free Agents into our list do we then get Pick 3 as compensation?

Gee BBB stop beating about the bush tell us what you really think of the Bombers!

If we lose Col to the Bombers and we don't bring any Free Agents into our list do we then get Pick 3 as compensation?

We will not be getting pick 3 in any case, there is not a chance in hell.

I know it is the start of the silly season but not sure where you are getting pick three from?

In my wildest dreams based on past performances I could not see us getting more than a second round pick for Sylvia.

He has scored bugger all in the Club B&F and Brownlow over his ten years.

I know it is the start of the silly season but not sure where you are getting pick three from?

In my wildest dreams based on past performances I could not see us getting more than a second round pick for Sylvia.

He has scored bugger all in the Club B&F and Brownlow over his ten years.

It was a question based on Micheal Gleesons article in today's Age. He is saying the Hawks would get pick 18 for Buddy while the Pies would get pick 11 for Daisy. Both were early first round picks, the compensation for both is a pick one spot after each club's existing draft pick. I know another variable is the players contract amount in relation to the rest of the team. I don't think raw talent is in the FA compensation equation but it is the AFL I could be wrong there.

It was a question based on Micheal Gleesons article in today's Age. He is saying the Hawks would get pick 18 for Buddy while the Pies would get pick 11 for Daisy. Both were early first round picks, the compensation for both is a pick one spot after each club's existing draft pick. I know another variable is the players contract amount in relation to the rest of the team. I don't think raw talent is in the FA compensation equation but it is the AFL I could be wrong there.

Both are x Premiership players and Buddy is a Coleman medallist as well.

Sylvia is a modestly performed player in a bottom of the ladder side.

If he leaves the compensation will be in line with that record IMO.

• Like 1

Compo picks also have some value in the equation that reflects the amount of the new contract's worth.

Sylvia will never generate a round 1 pick. His band will most likely create a 2nd rounder ( if lucky )

• Like 1

Both are x Premiership players and Buddy is a Coleman medallist as well.

Sylvia is a modestly performed player in a bottom of the ladder side.

If he leaves the compensation will be in line with that record IMO.

I hope the compensation formula has nothing to do with the player's club performance or we are building in AFL sanctioned inequality. Perish the thought that Vlad would be into that, unless it suits him at the time, depending what mood he is in when he is questioned, if you know what I mean.

I have since done some research and find the formula for compensation is vague but does look at the FAgents new contract. So the Age's Gleeson is well off the mark. On the basis of a supposedly $12M, six year contract for Buddy, the Hawks would pull a number 1 pick. Won't happen I know but if it was number 2, our pick, I will lead the charge on AFL headquarters myself.

It is an interesting formula. The top sides will by definition have the better players, who will only walk for over the top contracts. But this is then rewarded by the AFL. Where were we on equalisation policies?