• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Norm Smith and the New MFC

1 red eye 1 blue eye

I've been interested in the idea that since Norm Smith was immortalized at the MCG on September 24th 2012 that the absolute horror year that has just occurred may somehow psychologically, mystically, spiritually, I'm not sure what are linked.

Could it be that Norm standing there with his crooked finger and rock solid values, the absolute symbol of everything we want our great Club to be, has had a subtle but profound effect on the Club and supporter psyche, and, with it have come the changes that have been so desperately needed, co-incidence?

Co-incidence or not I see an opportunity here.

The past is the past lets forge a new MFC, We have quality people coming to the Club, people renowned for their values and ethics, lets unite behind them, and we have Norm Smith there at the MCG larger than life, he is Melbourne, a pillar, a beacon, pointing us in the right direction.

We as supporters can play role, a blueprint for the future. What do we stand for? What are our core values? What do we hold dear to our hearts? How do we want to be seen and what does our Club look like going forward?

This is what I want.

I want a Club that is fiercely determined and intensely focused on and off the field and not just on success, but in every aspect and tiny detail within the Club. Genuine respect and care for all. We are Melbourne we are loyal and passionate. We are well connected which can be our distinct advantage and point of difference. I want a Club where ethics, honesty and integrity are held in the highest regard and proudly adhered to.

That's a start

What do you want?

Edited by 1 red eye 1 blue eye

Some talk of the Norm Smith curse. Reminds me of the curse of the Bambino which in 2004 down 0-3 and seeminly out the Red Socks rallied to win their first world series in 80 odd years.

My understanding of what probably happened barring divine intervention or black magic was that the players were no longer burdened by history and when all was almost lost rallied and won. Right now our players should lose the burden of the recent history from 2007 on wards. They should look to Roos and the coaching team and outsiders not weighed down by the past and not be concerned about premiership droughts. When we make finals again then we can't start to worry about Norm Smith

It's all pretty obvious.

The club incurred a monumental Karmic debt when they betrayed Norm Smith, the embodiment of what it meant to be a demon, the totem and talisman of our success. To this day we are still suffering and will do so until the club has managed to balance the scales. The recent treatment of Junior and Green have only added to this debt, hence the worst season in recent memory which has just ended.

Or it could just be that the club had a fatal combination of personalities in charge who made some truly terrible decisions that have led us to this point and we are in dire need of a firm hand to guide us back to acting like a professional organisation.

Take either view. For all we know they could both be right. :P

• Like 1

What about crap like Grimes being handed Barassi's number to give the number pride or something? Just showed the club couldn't move on from Scully as well as clinging on to the glory days, complete distraction

Who cares what number he wears? Do you really think it matters that he changed numbers?

It may be heresy to say this, but Norm Smith's day had passed. In a way, the sacking preserved his immortality because it has allowed supporters past and present to wallow in his demise and how the club's misfortunes can all be be laid at the feet of the 1965 MFC committee. I am sick of this crutch. More attention should be accorded to the (unnamed) seagull which has unceremoniously pooped on the Ron Barassi statue.

It may be heresy to say this, but Norm Smith's day had passed. In a way, the sacking preserved his immortality because it has allowed supporters past and present to wallow in his demise and how the club's misfortunes can all be be laid at the feet of the 1965 MFC committee. I am sick of this crutch. More attention should be accorded to the (unnamed) seagull which has unceremoniously pooped on the Ron Barassi statue.

The curse of Norm Smith is a very real one and it resembles many aspects of the cargo cults which thrive in the south seas areas. That Norm Smith dream period of 1954-1964 in which we won six premierships, were twice runners up and made the top four in eleven years, created a myth like dream period for our club and everyone and everything associated with it; we developed an inability to cope with the changes to the sport that modernisation brought with it and instead lazily developed a dependence on the glories of the past and a revival through charismatic messiah-like leaders that would bring about an abundance of goods in the form of premierships.

The fact is that reliance on messiahs and quick fixes will never get us anywhere but hard work and smart practices can get us there.

• Like 2

Bottom line is & when you listen to Smith he stated then that the club was slipping & they needed to continue to evolve....

For the last 50yrs our club has always had a band aid approach & its inability to have a long term plan across all dpts.

Frank Costa put it simply that you need to have the right people in place to run a successful club both off & on the field

• Like 1

If we all do one lap around the statue clockwise and rub the statue's foot before each home game then we will be assured of victory in 2014.

I think we either need to scour the land for a player to draft bearing the name Norman Smith, or we need to get one of our existing players to volunteer himself for a name change (by deed poll), before the 2014 competition gets underway. The return of Norm Smith to his rightful place on the 'G' will complete the cycle and the curse will be lifted.

• Like 2

I think we either need to scour the land for a player to draft bearing the name Norman Smith, or we need to get one of our existing players to volunteer himself for a name change (by deed poll), before the 2014 competition gets underway. The return of Norm Smith to his rightful place on the 'G' will complete the cycle and the curse will be lifted.

We had our N Smith a decade ago. Looked good for 4 to 6 weeks and then just faded away.

• Like 1

If we all do one lap around the statue clockwise and rub the statue's foot before each home game then we will be assured of victory in 2014.

Loving your passion.

The curse of Norm Smith is a very real one and it resembles many aspects of the cargo cults which thrive in the south seas areas. That Norm Smith dream period of 1954-1964 in which we won six premierships, were twice runners up and made the top four in eleven years, created a myth like dream period for our club and everyone and everything associated with it; we developed an inability to cope with the changes to the sport that modernisation brought with it and instead lazily developed a dependence on the glories of the past and a revival through charismatic messiah-like leaders that would bring about an abundance of goods in the form of premierships.

The fact is that reliance on messiahs and quick fixes will never get us anywhere but hard work and smart practices can get us there.

Our mid-60's rivals were just hungrier at every level. We had ten premierships in 25 years so things just plateaud. My other thought on it is that we preceded the age of television, and all entire glorious record vanished (like the '64 GF tape), so that future youngsters got brainwashed on the likes of the Saints, The Blues, The Tigers, The Pies etc, and we became a museum piece. Nowhere exists any meaningful footage of passages of play of our great teams, other than very brief snapshots.

It's not just the Smith era. Melbourne has always been slow to adjust to changes. Our history is littered with examples.