Are the MFC doing that stupid Darwin camp again?

What

but that means they wont get to the mindle beach markets?

wont get to go barra fishing with wonas family

wont have the risk of being stung by a box jellyfish

wont have the photo of themselves in the croc glass enclosure, for their girlfriends

no chance for the club sponsor to get front page headline" dees drunken fight"

have to get suntan injected at the hird clinic ,instead of a natural one

think we better rethink this

• Like 2

I didn't like the idea because:

1. The did a freaking walk. I know it's bloody hot and it would've been taxing but walks are for fat blokes and women not AFL footballers.

2. The did a couple of other training sessions with only minimal football in them due to the hot and slippery conditions

3. I'm not convinced it helped them improve power or football ability

I like the idea of a camp and a get away. In fact they should string the camp onto our community camp and do two birds with one stone.

But personally I'd like to see them hire an oval down gippsland or phillip island or wherever our community camp is and keep practicing footy skills. There's plenty of good sand dunes for fitness training sessions down that way. I know the swans have been doing beach training and the hawks as well I think and that sounds pretty good to me.

Better than a walk through Kakadu sweating your nuts off but not actually getting meaningful training done.

We need team spirit and unity, and relationships are built through shared experiences, so I'm not against the idea. However, it may be better as some kind of team bonding camp rather than a week of punishment. Don't forget we have NT Tourism on board as a sponsor, so we probably have an obligation to go there.

• Like 2

I would rather see them go do the Kokoda track like Hawthorn did for their 2008 pre-season.

I trekked it 4 years ago (at the age of 21), it was amazing, would definitely unite the group, help build a culture and make their legs massive and strong.

After returning I had a massive spring in my step with a huge vertical jump.

• Like 2

I'm far from convinced by this heat training thing. Anyone ever seen any scientific evidence supporting it?

I lived in the Territory for many years. The humidity makes you feel exhausted, which may make you think you've done some strenuous training, but I don't see how it actually could (if anything, i reckon it could have the opposite effect - and the appearance of the average Territory bloke supports my doubts).

Actually, on the topic, during all the recent kerfuffle about sports science, I read that even altitude training is of dubious benefit.

I'm far from convinced by this heat training thing. Anyone ever seen any scientific evidence supporting it?

I lived in the Territory for many years. The humidity makes you feel exhausted, which may make you think you've done some strenuous training, but I don't see how it actually could (if anything, i reckon it could have the opposite effect - and the appearance of the average Territory bloke supports my doubts).

Actually, on the topic, during all the recent kerfuffle about sports science, I read that even altitude training is of dubious benefit.

Significant in my view that the vast majority of teams above us ( sorry everyone is ) did neither last Pre season.

Hmm wonder what that says?

Heat training has never been proven, except as a good venue for losing weight.

But what has been proven is that group training - getting away form normal environment and training with others - has a major positive effect - hence why athletics camps have been popular.

I'm actually all for us training in Darwin during the winter, especially if it ties in with games in Brissy or Perth.

The humidity in Darwin's winter is low and it gives the players who are nursing sore spots a chance to train without having to spend an hour warming up.

The other factor with Darwin is that we as a club, are meant to be supporting the concept of playing games there and we receive a package from NT government.

If our aim is to just simply take the money and not invest any time in it, then it's a shameful act and why I believe Schwabby was roundly criticised by a couple of our former sponsors.

• Like 1

There was a bloke who won the Tour de France or some massive bike race, and the way he trained was like this:

He put his stationary bike in his laundry room, and stacked the place with dryers and heaters and turned them all on. He rode for hours and hours in blazing temperatures, and when it came time to race he smoked his competition. Yes it is a sample size of one, but he reckons it worked for him.

There was a bloke who won the Tour de France or some massive bike race, and the way he trained was like this:

He put his stationary bike in his laundry room, and stacked the place with dryers and heaters and turned them all on. He rode for hours and hours in blazing temperatures, and when it came time to race he smoked his competition. Yes it is a sample size of one, but he reckons it worked for him.

Yeh I saw that film - "The Triplets of Belleville"
  • Like 1

I would rather see them go do the Kokoda track like Hawthorn did for their 2008 pre-season.

I trekked it 4 years ago (at the age of 21), it was amazing, would definitely unite the group, help build a culture and make their legs massive and strong.

After returning I had a massive spring in my step with a huge vertical jump.

They must have got "Kokoda" & "Kakadu" mixed up. I blame Schwab.

I was against going to Darwin. What the players need after this xmas, is bring out the footys, and practice practice ball skills. Then when they are sick of doing that do more match sim matchups, until they hone their ball skills,kicking and hitting targets , cut out the suicide handballs, until get it into their heads to run and create options.Turning the ball over murdered us all year. While they are under match sim, they also improve their game fitness. Its back to basics.

Misson can go to Darwin. let the coach ,coach.

Significant in my view that the vast majority of teams above us ( sorry everyone is ) did neither last Pre season.

Hmm wonder what that says?

I would say the Filth are quite adept at finishing out a game... I dont think thats by accident OD

I hear a lot about altitude training and very little about heat training. I will say that both take it out of you and make you work harder.

Youd think a couple of running machines and bikes in a big sauna might to the trick though...lol

I would say the Filth are quite adept at finishing out a game... I dont think thats by accident OD

I hear a lot about altitude training and very little about heat training. I will say that both take it out of you and make you work harder.

Youd think a couple of running machines and bikes in a big sauna might to the trick though...lol

bb 95% of our games are over at quarter time

It is the lack of the required skill bb has nothing to do Arizona or Darwin

We are just way below the required standard.

• Like 3

bb 95% of our games are over at quarter time

It is the lack of the required skill bb has nothing to do Arizona or Darwin

We are just way below the required standard.

that sort of trumps evreything doesnt it :(

• Like 2