Rory Sloane

The Third Eye

I would not trade Boyd for Sloane if that was the indirect plan. One could be an A grade key position player and the other is a good, solid B grade mid. Sorry, it'd be an ordinary deal on our behalf.

we could get a better deal for pick 1 if we trade, sidebottom and first round pick sounds much better

Sidebottom is another good handy player but not an A grader and nowhere near a pick one selection. If we get pick one we take Boyd.

• Like 1

Can categorically state that Rory Sloane will not play for Melbourne.

We've all heard how he felt let down by Melbourne, but we didn't just tell him we'd consider taking him ... he told our recruiters that he wanted to play for Melbourne. We told him and his family that if he was available at our pick we would take him.

A rumour I heard was that he even told a club before us, I can't remember who, that he wasn't interested in them because he was confident he was coming to us!

As the night turned out we betrayed him completely, and I just looked for it but there's an article that came out from him and his father post-draft that stated in no uncertain terms how much he was disappointed at falling due to one club.

Nothing has changed.

If this story of betrayal is true then it doesn't come as a surprise knowing what we now know about the people in charge of this area at the time.

• Like 1

We've all heard how he felt let down by Melbourne, but we didn't just tell him we'd consider taking him ... he told our recruiters that he wanted to play for Melbourne. We told him and his family that if he was available at our pick we would take him.

A rumour I heard was that he even told a club before us, I can't remember who, that he wasn't interested in them because he was confident he was coming to us!

As the night turned out we betrayed him completely, and I just looked for it but there's an article that came out from him and his father post-draft that stated in no uncertain terms how much he was disappointed at falling due to one club.

Nothing has changed.

Makes you want to yell out loud ...

• Like 1

The Inside Footy article suggested we were interested in using pick 2 for Sloane.

Let me put on record that I love his heart and passion, but in reality he's a good get at pick 40 something. He doesn't have anywhere near the class that warrants the mention of pick 2. As I said, I rate him, but don't get seduced by a B+ footballer that we all love due to his intent.

Nothing has changed.

I suppose it all comes down to at what pick Melb said they would take him with?? We passed on pick 76 but Sloan was gone by then???

Nothing has changed.

Strong statement. And you are certain because?

I was told this tonight and I rate the source, then got on facebook and was hearing it again. Adelaide want Boyd and we want a young mid who wants to come home. If Boyd slips to second pick it will happen. If not it may not.

Would imagine Boyd goes 1. But that leaves a possible star adelaide mid at 2.

The Inside Footy article suggested we were interested in using pick 2 for Sloane.

Let me put on record that I love his heart and passion, but in reality he's a good get at pick 40 something. He doesn't have anywhere near the class that warrants the mention of pick 2. As I said, I rate him, but don't get seduced by a B+ footballer that we all love due to his intent.

Sloane is far better than B+ and we have a habit of stuffing up early picks anyway. It won't happen, but just saying.

• 3 weeks later...

Sloane. Hard at it, young, yet to fulfill all his potential, best and fairest, has learnt from Scott Thompson. Surely we have to sound this out and see if we can snag him. He might have an issue with the Neeld Melbourne, but will he have a different view with the Rood Melbourne?

Him and Greenwood from NM, alongside developing Viney, Toumpas, Barry, Evans, and joining N Jones and M Jones - sounds OK to me.

• Like 1

If we get pick 1 which is still on the cards either on ladder position or PP I think we will take 'Boyd' and should.

I'd take Boyd with pick 2. We can always get mids lattter in draft/pre season or free agency if we offer $$$$. Key position big men are harder to find. But I reckon this is academic as Western Syd will take him, but if not then we'd be mad not to.

Good on him.

I love the way he plies his trade, but he's also a blue collar midfielder. And yes, we need blue collar midfielders. But he aint worth pick 2.

I remember having this discussion with you about Hannebury also. Would you give up pick 2 now. I would.

Sloane for pick 2 is a win - win for mine.

Sloane or selwood for pick 10 would be a better aim, aish Is well worth a close look

If we got 2 and 3 one of those would get us Adams and pick 10

Edited by D26
  • Like 1

it doesnt matter what players are actually worth, no club like Adelaide are going to give away Sloane for pick 10.

It's about getting overs if you're going to give away guns.. hate to say it.

Think about what we got for Scully