"There's a strong argument," Gil McLachlan on a Priority Pick.

When I hear the following from a commentator, I'll know to pinch myself-

"Beautiful kick by Nicholson into centre half forward"

"Tapscott picking up a lot of footy across half forward and really getting involved in field play"

"Strauss really physical in that last contest with kurt tippet"

"Jordie Mckenzie really spreading well today, becoming that link up player through the centre of the ground and really penetrating with his disposal inside 50"

I jest old dee, but wouldn't it be great!

As I said Gd it never hurts to dream.

The major problem is that is all we have quite often

I think part of the problem is that the only clubs that seem to have decent talent surplus to requirements are GWS and GC, but they won't want picks, unless there is exceptional talent involved.

Like us, they'll want mature players.

Top end young talent infusions have been scarce, so other clubs are reluctant to let it go to roll the dice in the draft.

No but two picks in the top 20 can allow a team to draft in Clark and Dawes. That can change fortunes quickly.

There may be midfielders of a similar ilk that we can get.

...but it hasn't

Thats correct, i would be happy with pick 2, 19 and 20, swap the latter for 2 established players.

I would not be happy with that at all, we pick up a PP at 20. No it needs to be at the top end of the draft, if it was pick one then we can decide to keep it for Boyd and trade one of our other forwards or trade the Boyd pick on. If it's pick 2 then we get 2 great kids to add to the list.

Bernie vince, Daniel cross, Levi greenwood or Jesse stringer are about the top midfielders attainable by trading I think. Throw in Adams, dale Thomas and that's about the most available talent there is.

Or dayle garlett.

3 of these can't get a game and the other is a tagger, why are they top midfielders. Because they are available doesn't make them top midfielders.

3 of these can't get a game and the other is a tagger, why are they top midfielders. Because they are available doesn't make them top midfielders.

That is what he is saying. There is not a lot of midfield talent up for offer and they are about the best available.

• Like 1

...but it hasn't

I would not be happy with that at all, we pick up a PP at 20. No it needs to be at the top end of the draft, if it was pick one then we can decide to keep it for Boyd and trade one of our other forwards or trade the Boyd pick on. If it's pick 2 then we get 2 great kids to add to the list.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't make it clear that they are all that is potentially available? Really?

That is what he is saying. There is not a lot of midfield talent up for offer and they are about the best available.

Wouldn't call them top, but yes the cupboard is bare for trades unless we had something to offer.

If we had pick one then someone, most likely Carlton would have to make a play for it. Without a key forward they are going nowhere, quality players would be on the table then and not the rejects that Robbo put up on 360 last night.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't make it clear that they are all that is potentially available? Really?

Sorry if I misunderstood your point but the wording of top talent had me confused. As I've said above the only way we can move top talent is to have something of value. Interesting times ahead.

Because our list is THAT bad.

Clark and Dawes for 12 and 20.

Find their midfield equivalent and it would go a great distance to making us competitive.

It's not there at the moment, may be some go home factor at the end of season but as was shown in another post there is not much available now.

I don't think our list is that bad but results tell the story in the end.

Adelaide are locked out until 3rd round too. I'd imagine they are looking for a top 30 pick. Vince just might be available.

That's an interesting point. This years draft trade time is going to open up some fascinating scenarios.

Pat dangerfield for pick 2. Used to love Neil craig, even though he is contracted, he was fairly close to leaving Adelaide last time round.

If you could give them Boyd they might have to consider but even then very unlikely. Sloane??? Their need for a key forward is not as big as Carlton's, they do have Tex on the way back. Carlton has Waite on the way out.

If you could give them Boyd they might have to consider but even then very unlikely. Sloane??? Their need for a key forward is not as big as Carlton's, they do have Tex on the way back. Carlton has Waite on the way out.

More tongue in cheek rjay, but If we are to get someone worthwhile in, it will cost us. Dangerfield is probably worth 2 and another first rounder. If Neil Craig gets the gig, and we do get a priority pick, then why wouldn't you ask the question?

More tongue in cheek rjay, but If we are to get someone worthwhile in, it will cost us. Dangerfield is probably worth 2 and another first rounder. If Neil Craig gets the gig, and we do get a priority pick, then why wouldn't you ask the question?

If I had the Boyd pick I would be asking Carlton for Murphy and they would have to consider, so yeah it's always worth asking the question.

Would anyone trade watts and a first round pick to get a star midfielder?

Before last week I would have considered it now in not sure. But with Hogan Clark and Dawes I'm not sure if watts is more valuable to us than a star mid. ..

Edited by deanox

Hogan will be good to go day 1. Dawes is progressing. Am I the only one with concerns about Clark ? :o Geez we can pick them. Immense talent and a first class spectator in the main to date :unsure: . But if hes on the ground next year then with Watts we have a potent front end. Howe will move more to a midfield role more and more but ability to play deep and hurt.

Id keep Watts. but to humour the notion of a trade...who would it be.

It somewhat amuses me that everytime something like this is mooted theres some underlying assumption that theres a shelf full of these A grade Mids who not only are on the market but would come to us.

Ive really no problem with trades etc, they are all widgets in the greater scheme of things but you really have to ask, just when Watts is coming good,and with another pre season and revision to his role a-la new coaches whomever youd want to swap for would need to be pretty bloody good. Again, where are they and I dont mean youre second stringers...I mean these A grade midfielders that everyone speaks of. Youd want about the same life expectancy out of the trade as you will have of Watts i.e another 5-6 years. This means whomever is the target is unlikely to be a FA or even a RFA so theyd need to be convinced to leave wherever for the 'cellar dwellers'

Just once id like to see a little reality creep in to expectations and such when comes talk of ambit trading etc.

With FA anyone decent will go to the money or finals opportunities. If there was one thing Neeld did well it was to look beyond the fence. granted what was there wasnt always flash but there are players worth considering and for a lot less than giving up a #1 pick just when hes ripening. Thats my view on that. I may be alone

edit . Yes I realise some aspects of referencing FA is redundant but its the knock on effect. If a star leaves as a FA then the next best thing is often elevated in esteem etc at that club and becomes even more valuable and it would be these that somehow are available for trading ??

Edited by belzebub59

BB - re Clark, Misson seems quite confident he'll return this season. If he returns and then goes down again with a foot, panic button will be at the ready.

Sorry to go off topic, but Clark does me worry me also. Would be very Melbourne-like if he was maxy gawn.

• Like 2

BB - re Clark, Misson seems quite confident he'll return this season. If he returns and then goes down again with a foot, panic button will be at the ready.

Sorry to go off topic, but Clark does me worry me also. Would be very Melbourne-like if he was maxy gawn.

I hope they rap him up in cotton wool for the end of the season, give him a full fit pre-season and onwards to 2014 with Hogan and Dawes.

• Like 2

Just as a hypothetical. We're given a PP it pick 1

lets assume current ladder positions re draft picking remains same . So we would have 1 3 21 etc

Lets go with the outside notion that GWS may indeed trade pick 2 ....do we also trade pick 3 ? We/ve got one...we can grab the best mid.. Pick 3 in some sort of trade may deliver another of reasonable ability

We have forwards...we've a few lol. its mids we crave

who would trade 3. I would, for the right reward

Just as a hypothetical. We're given a PP it pick 1

lets assume current ladder positions re draft picking remains same . So we would have 1 3 21 etc

Lets go with the outside notion that GWS may indeed trade pick 2 ....do we also trade pick 3 ? We/ve got one...we can grab the best mid.. Pick 3 in some sort of trade may deliver another of reasonable ability

We have forwards...we've a few lol. its mids we crave

who would trade 3. I would, for the right reward

We look to trade #1 (Boyd) because the next half dozen are all around equally rated and mids and Boyd is a standout. Knightmare on Bigfooty rates Boyd above Hogan on his power ratings.

If we get two start of first round picks I'd definitely trade one.

BB I know what you mean about who are the a grade miss just waiting to be traded in that there aren't many sitting around. Usually they are only shaken loose when they decide to leave.

If we were to put pick 1 and 3 on the table however I imagine a number of clubs would consider it.

Would we be able to get Murphy Plus carltons first pick (12?) for 1 and 3 or Dangerfield for picks 1 and 20? If we could would be be willing to make that trade?

Going on our last cracks at top 3 picks I'd think it was a better deal for us plus the player would impact immediately. Adelaide may jump at that chance, there widow is closing after losing Tippet and the draft penalties mean they are about to go through pain like Carlton and we have. Those two picks could set them up for another 5 years time and if they don't think they could win a flag in the next 3 years it would probably be a smart trade.

We need immediate improvement. We need to balance that between having the opportunity to set ourselves up for 10 years with this draft. It's a hard call and our greatest difficulty is managing our trade and recruitment for balance.

Edit: updated trade suggestion

Edited by deanox

If we get two start of first round picks I'd definitely trade one.

BB I know what you mean about who are the a grade miss just waiting to be traded in that there aren't many sitting around. Usually they are only shaken loose when they decide to leave.

If we were to put pick 1 and 3 on the table however I imagine a number of clubs would consider it.

Would we be able to get Murphy Plus carltons first pick or Dangerfield plus another player for picks 1 and 3? If we could would be be willing to make that trade?

Going on our last cracks at top 3 picks I'd think it was a better deal for us plus the player would impact immediately. Adelaide may jump at that chance, there widow is closing after losing Tippet and the draft penalties mean they are about to go through pain like Carlton and we have. Those two picks could set them up for another 5 years time and if they don't think they could win a flag in the next 3 years it would probably be a smart trade.

We need immediate improvement. We need to balance that between having the opportunity to set ourselves up for 10 years with this draft. It's a hard call and our greatest difficulty is managing our trade and recruitment for balance.

I would strongly consider Dangerfield for #1 & #20.

• Like 2

We look to trade #1 (Boyd) because the next half dozen are all around equally rated and mids and Boyd is a standout. Knightmare on Bigfooty rates Boyd above Hogan on his power ratings.

That proves what Knightmare knows, i would take Hogan before Boyd any day, Boyd dominated the u18 carnival, Hogans going to win the Frosty Miller medal.

I would strongly consider Dangerfield for #1 & #20.

I realised that as I hit send.

I think it would be win win for both clubs in the scenario. The aren't many clubs who can trade good players but Adelaide widow is closed. They've been killed with Tippet, draft penalties and expansion teams. That would be a shat trade that would help then rebuild.

I don't think we'll get pick 1 though unfortunately.

I would consider that also but have a sneaking suspicion there may be caveats to any PP's.. On that basis our pick 3 is all 'ours" sts