Trevor Barker Beach Oval at 2:00 PM

Sandringham

Backs Kreymborg* Ferguson Lever

Half backs Shakallis Shepheard Staley

Centreline Milera Ledger Dunell

Half forwards White Koschitzke Shenton

Forwards Michaliades Lee Dennis-Lane

Followers Pierce Cockie Curren

Interchange (from) Barnhoorn Blake Hickey Jones Maister Murdoch Ong Ray Saunders Simpkin Williams Wright Zijai

Casey Scorpions

Backs Sellar Panozza L Tynan

Half backs Jetta Davis Smith

Centreline Nicholson Couch Toumpas

Half forwards Fitzpatrick Spencer Gillies

Forwards Nicholls Hogan Blease

Followers Gawn Magner Gent

Interchange (from) Barry Best Clisby Corry Hillard* Hughes Lindsay Matthews Petropoulos Pollard Taggert J Tynan

* 23rd player

AFL Development League

Sandringham vs. Casey Scorpions

Saturday 1st June

Trevor Barker Beach Oval at 11:00 AM

Sandringham

Backs Tiernan Plostins Pridgeon

Half backs Soriano Valles C Banfield

Centreline Fallon Ong B Coates

Half forwards McKay Hobijn-Allen Taylor

Forwards Howes Barnhoorn C Coates

Followers Persson Maitland

Interchange (from) Batson Cameron Connelly Minahan Munro Read Rist Shakallis Weickhardt Williams Zijai

Casey Scorpions

Backs Corry Riseley Roberts

Half backs Drew Westrupp Clay

Centreline McInnes P Rosier Godfrey

Half forwards Jackson Hughes Matthews

Forwards Long Smith Troutman

Followers Hill Stark Pollard

Interchange (from) Allen Anderson Blackie Boland Dearaugo Fusinato Lang Lindsay Meadows McPhie Neville Rutherford

Don't expect Fitz to be there. Neeld said he'd be playing in the firsts. Really hope he does.

I'm sure you're right there RM. I simply couldn't imagine that half forward line anywhere - not even on the small TBBO.

BTW, I recall when we were aligned with the Zebras that Casey/Springvale was always a tough team to beat.

• Like 1

A question I had for ages does anyone know why the MFC move away from Sandringham to Casey as its VFL team?

A question I had for ages does anyone know why the MFC move away from Sandringham to Casey as its VFL team?

Primarily to open up Casey as Melbourne's fastest growing region (in population) as an area for which the club to grow the membership base. We committed to moving our community programs to the area, largely in return for our facilities as part of Casey fields. Which are very good facilities however I think the distance from Melbourne has been a major detriment to what otherwise could become full time facilities and unite the club. Not that I buy into the admin and footy department being separate causing our troubles and I love going to watch the boys train at Gosch's/AAMI where as only those in the Casey area could really get to Casey fields I'd say.

Secondarily, and just as importantly I think the MFC and Sandringham relations were very impaired. MFC I think were annoyed with Sandringham's desire to field so many Sandy players and to field veteran VFL players in fixed positions that hindered the development of Melbourne players. The most obvious one being Nick Sauntner multiple VFL goal kicking winner who play from the goal square week after week which haltered Melbourne ability to develop Juice Newton as a FF replacement for Neitz. Now I don't think Newton would've ever made it regardless but he kicked a bag multiple times in the VFL reserves only to then come up and play seniors and not be a primary target.

Unfortunately at Casey we've gone a bit far the other way. I think two years ago we pulled most if not all of our players out of VFL finals much to the disappointment of then senior coach Peter German and last year IIRC we sent Fitzpatrick (FF) and Spencer (ruck) in for end of season surgeries instead of playing them in the VFL finals. Hopefully we've learnt from that and will now play the eligible guys but I feel for the club when tough decisions like finals v surgeries have to get made. Seems you are a bit screwed either way but I'd go for the finals footy experience.

• Like 1

Likely...

Half backs J Tynan Gillies Davis
Half forwards Taggert Spencer Smith
Interchange (from) Best Clisby Hillard* Hughes Matthews

Get down and checkout Tom Cuuran for the Zebs. I have seen him 3 times and would like MFC to nab him before the Saints do. Has real zip and smarts around goal.

Likely...

Get down and checkout Tom Cuuran for the Zebs. I have seen him 3 times and would like MFC to nab him before the Saints do. Has real zip and smarts around goal.

Third year on there rookie list. So he's their's but he might be frustrated by been rookied for so long especially after he won the Sandy B+F last year. But we'd need to satisfy both the saints and the player. Starting with the player he grew up Frankston way just around the corner from the saints training base at Seaford so that's a hard start! First Roberton wants to go the saints to be near his Frankston family and now this kids from the area. Who knew Frankston would start to haunt us as well!

Likely...

Surely Barry plays for Casey 1sts?

I guess this means that Strauss is a certainty to line up for the Demons this week. Good to hear.

• Like 1

Primarily to open up Casey as Melbourne's fastest growing region (in population) as an area for which the club to grow the membership base. We committed to moving our community programs to the area, largely in return for our facilities as part of Casey fields. Which are very good facilities however I think the distance from Melbourne has been a major detriment to what otherwise could become full time facilities and unite the club. Not that I buy into the admin and footy department being separate causing our troubles and I love going to watch the boys train at Gosch's/AAMI where as only those in the Casey area could really get to Casey fields I'd say.

Secondarily, and just as importantly I think the MFC and Sandringham relations were very impaired. MFC I think were annoyed with Sandringham's desire to field so many Sandy players and to field veteran VFL players in fixed positions that hindered the development of Melbourne players. The most obvious one being Nick Sauntner multiple VFL goal kicking winner who play from the goal square week after week which haltered Melbourne ability to develop Juice Newton as a FF replacement for Neitz. Now I don't think Newton would've ever made it regardless but he kicked a bag multiple times in the VFL reserves only to then come up and play seniors and not be a primary target.

Unfortunately at Casey we've gone a bit far the other way. I think two years ago we pulled most if not all of our players out of VFL finals much to the disappointment of then senior coach Peter German and last year IIRC we sent Fitzpatrick (FF) and Spencer (ruck) in for end of season surgeries instead of playing them in the VFL finals. Hopefully we've learnt from that and will now play the eligible guys but I feel for the club when tough decisions like finals v surgeries have to get made. Seems you are a bit screwed either way but I'd go for the finals footy experience.

Thanks for the info.

Being from the West I did not know any of that.

A pretty good summation and I'm glad that you emphasised the growth and development potential of the region. I think Casey/Cardinia is in the top two or three growth areas on the country and if anyone takes the trouble to drive around Casey Fields and the suburbs surrounding it they would understand its enormity. In twenty years time I would like to think that going to Casey will have had as significant an effect on the club as Hawthorn locating its training base at Waverley has done.

It's true that there have been philosophical issues about alignments both at Sandringham and more lately at Casey but these are evolutionary and the ground is shifting. For the Casey club to thrive, I think it too will have to do more to embrace the local area than look back at its history with Springvale. I think the understanding of this is growing and from what I've heard, we are well thought of among the local Casey community.

I'm really hoping Taggert gets a chance to play in the ones before the season's out. Every time I feel he'll get his chance he seems to not be in consideration.

because Mark Neeld

Enough please.

I reckon it's only a matter of time that someone's going to say "because Mark Neeld" if the toilets don't flush at Casey Fields.

Get a grip, people.

Meanwhile at beautiful Trevor Barker Beach Road Oval by the bay, it's a low scoring development league game with Sandringham leading 3.3.21 to Casey 2.1.13.

• Like 4

Enough please.

I reckon it's only a matter of time that someone's going to say "because Mark Neeld" if the toilets don't flush at Casey Fields.

Get a grip, people.

hold on, you mean the dunnies are not working at casey

there goes the afternoon stroll and poop

are you positive its not mn s fault or are you just another neeld lover?

come on now , tell the truth

• Like 1

Enough please.

Get a grip, people.

Nope, I believe that is Jack Watt's fault

• Like 1

Development League - a 3 point loss to Casey after a good fightback in the third term.

2013 AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 1.1.7 2.1.13 5.3.33 6.5.41

Sandringham 2.2.14 3.3.21 4.7.31 6.8.44

Goals

Casey Scorpions Boland Hill McInnes Matthews Riseley Rosier

Sandringham Taylor 2 Batson Howes McKay Teirnan

Best

Casey Scorpions Lindsay Hill Pollard Riseley Anderson Roberts

Sandringham Taylor Teirnan Maitland Williams Ong Coates

Development League - a 3 point loss to Casey after a good fightback in the third term.

Any chance of spotting a Barlow or Silvagne type today?