Dayle Garlett

deeko

I last saw Garlett play in the elimination final against East Perth two weeks ago and TBH I wasn't overly happy with him. He kicked 3 goals and started well but seemed to lack intensity when the game lifted a notch.To be fair to Garlett, Swans big forward Geappan went down early which affected Swans ability to hold the ball inside 50 as East Perth rebounded very well. Embley provided a contest in the forward 50 when Geappan went down but really after that Garlett didn't provide to much around the contests but hard to judge him on this game. When he had the ball he did the right things and as expected all disposals by foot were perfectly weighted.I know he is not the type of player to do this but given the strides he has taken this season I would have thought with the sides season on the line he should have put his hand up and found his own ball and provided more. I wouldn't hold this game against him, it is to be noted he failed to meet the lift in intensity over the 4 quarters but due to circumstances on the day some of this was out of his hands.For me he is worth a risk this year but I would take midfielders with our first and second pick and PP if we get it. If he is there with our third take him. Roos and the Footy Dept have forgotten more than I will every know about footy and if they have faith they may take the gamble on him with second round pick because there is plenty to work with. He does not have Lewis Jetta's speed but he is better skilled by foot and on a smaller scale Garlett's improvement in attitude and overall fitness this season to last is similar to that of Lewis Jetta from 2011 to 2012.Best of luck to Dayle in the AFL he has been consistent all year and I hope for his and the sake of all footy fans he continues to take steps forward and improve

Great info Pennant. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Matured Garlett says he's ready for a second chance:

Garlett set for second chance

So where do people see this kid going in the draft?

I know we need midfielders and that should defiantly be our first priority but we also need a small forward and he is really highly rated.

He could probably also go through the midfield. As I said midfielders first but if we can I would definitely go for this guy (value has decreased due to his behavior but has now had an extra years conditioning).

We are one of a few clubs that needs to take some risks.

• Like 2

Shifter Sheahan was on ?TV (or was it on line) today saying that he is a bit of a changed man this draft camp and is likely to go fairly high.

Don't know really. Then really who here does?

He has become a Mormon and will be requesting an allowance for his 4 wives.

Apart from the baggage hitherto mentioned ,I read that he is off the Winnies and Bourbons.

The kid is an extremely popular person where he lives and is very well liked .

I suspect the Eagles and the Dockers will be spreading rumours that he is the new Kieth Richards so as to snaffle him up in the draft.

Has anyone got footage of the film Bran Nue Dae?

I am hnadicapped in the upload dept ,and others.

Found this a good read, sounds like he has grown up a bit. But lets see if he can continue to mature or if its just to get on a list and go back to his old habits. Personally I believe everyone deserves a second chance and wish him all the best.

Learning to leave the party

• Like 1

Neeld the useless nerd killed our chance of that.

"In the square"thinking and all that.

Now there will be clubs camping around his door.

From a club that has had some success with guys like Grinter, Zantuck, Ditterich,Jacko etc, i am amazed at how weak and reactionary we became.

Collingwood has managed to wrangle a bunch of sexual perverts, druggies,dumbos and half wits to a premiership but we still carry on like a bunch of old moles at a church fete.

Likewise Carlton had Dorra, Dumbo kerna,the murdereer,Rhys,the donut maker etc and won a flag.

Weak personalities show up on the sports arena.

As we have seen with the choirboys Neeld wanted because they would submit to his School master schtik.

• Like 2

From a club that has had some success with guys like Grinter, Zantuck, Ditterich,Jacko etc, i am amazed at how weak and reactionary we became.

Collingwood has managed to wrangle a bunch of sexual perverts, druggies,dumbos and half wits to a premiership but we still carry on like a bunch of old moles at a church fete.

Likewise Carlton had Dorra, Dumbo kerna,the murdereer,Rhys,the donut maker etc and won a flag.

As we have seen with the choirboys Neeld wanted because they would submit to his School master schtik.

It wasn't just Neeld it was Bailey era as well. Only draft little angels they said... Those angels can't bloody play footy!

• Like 2

It wasn't just Neeld it was Bailey era as well. Only draft little angels they said... Those angels can't bloody play footy!

It wasn't just Neeld and Bailey it was the Daniher era (or most of it) as well.

And it wasn't just angels but spoiled brats who wanted cushy roles. That's why Daniher's great mantra of ruthlessness was such a failure (as if it was ever implemented), why Bailey's team was considered bruise free and why Neeld ultimately failed.

Be that as it may, don't hold your breath waiting for the MFC to claim Garlett.

• Like 1

Lol! Liked that line Biff very much. Got to put that on my sig.

It wasn't just MFC it was 17 other clubs and take this as gospel, it was for good reason. Clubs do their homework and it wasn't the social media photo's that saw him being undrafted.

I have seen him play many times this year and it's like watching a different player most the time. The jolt to him not getting drafted was probably the best thing that happened to him. I think North are the club into him the most or at least the most overt!

Looks like you would need to interview and maybe recruit his girlfriend as well. But that might not be a bad thing if it can get him continuing to concentrate on self development

Change of heart/policy on your behalf B?

IIRC, you gave Jurrah a real serve when he walked.......

Now he's talking!

Garlett gives grog the boot

This is a positive sign. He'd be wise to keep that same policy for his entire career.

My thinking on Garlett is the guy has talent but regardless of off field stuff I only see him as a forward, if a guy struggles with fitness at 19 the chance they become a full time midfielder is pretty rare. I agree with the theory of recruiting mids who can play forward much higher than forwards who can play mid. From some footage he looks much more a running player than a guy who can also do well overhead like the best small forwards ie. Michael Walters.

Seems to me based on talent alone he'd be a more polished version of Dean Kent but maybe the midfield potential and hardness lean towards Kent. He'd also be a project on the field and off. All up I'd be keen to have him but I feel like we'd find on field talents who are just as good up to the third round of the draft and maybe he's a chance for a late pick. The kids becoming a victim of his own hype I feel. The clubs are using the off field stuff to try and dampen the hype around him on field because they aren't sure he's up to it that's my read on things.

I would be surprised if took anyone other than midfield, midfield and more midfield this draft/trade/FA period.

And I am happy with that but I think we might look at a ruckman or small forward with a late pick.

48 goals in the WAFL... I don't think half of our list could have done that....we need to take the risk....what do we have to loose. I think garlett is made for the G. Looks built well and not a soft [censored] like a few others we have carried for years.

Last year was rated around 10 in the draft for talent.

GET HIM . GO DEES.

• 2 weeks later...

This bloke standing at the feet of Clark, Dawes, and Hogan is a mouth-watering prospect. Everyone on here says 'Oh, we need small forwards'... yet, have reservations about picking him. Yeah, he has had some issues in the past, but it looks like he has woken up to himself.

That said though, I can't see him making it to Pick 40. I'd see one of the WA clubs picking him before that... although, it might be best for him to get out of that state.