COL GARLAND'S HONEST INTERVIEW (must watch)

Probably already been posted, and perhaps already a thread on this, if not i feel it deserves its own thread.

An openly honest interview from Garland, who we know is no "dummy", posted today on MFC website.

You can see the pain, disappointment and shame in his eyes and manor.

Generally loves the club, and believes in Neeld and wants things to turn around so much it hurts.

You get the feeling from him that not everyone has "bought in" to Neeld (i know some of you will then say "well thats why he has to go etc.") but the young boys he mentions (besides M. Jones as he is 25) certainly have. We need 22 contributors each week if we are ever going to change things. But anyways i'll let Col' do the talking.

Bit of an eye opener.

As a Demons fan you need to watch this.

• Like 4

The bit that opened my eyes the widest was when he was asked if this is the worse it has been, compared to 2009 etc. Can't recall the exact words but he said the blokes all came to the club today and seemed to imply that after heavy defeats in the past players didn't turn up.

• Like 2

I'll make two points.

Firstly I really feel for the players. They get one go at a footy career and at the moment it's being trashed. If anyone thinks there is no link between the dysfunctional state of the FD and the results then they are kidding themselves. This FD is not providing the players with an environment in which to thrive and for whatever reason has sapped the players confidence and spirit.

Secondly it's genuinely sad to hear the comment that winning doesn't matter, having a crack does. We are so low that our expectation is not winning, it's trying.

Col comes across as a really genuine person with no answers and just frustrated and depressed with where we are. Those that simplify things to "the players aren't trying" just don't get it. Neeld told me we were going to lose last week when he was at pains to point out GCS were more experienced than us.

Very sad but I feel for the players.

Edited by Baghdad Bob
  • Like 4

The bit that opened my eyes the widest was when he was asked if this is the worse it has been, compared to 2009 etc. Can't recall the exact words but he said the blokes all came to the club today and seemed to imply that after heavy defeats in the past players didn't turn up.

Yup, he made it quite obvious that in the past there wasn't this sort of discipline/commitment when dealing with losses.

I'll make two points.

Firstly I really feel for the players. They get one go at a footy career and at the moment it's being trashed. If anyone thinks there is no link between the dysfunctional state of the FD and the results then they are kidding themselves. This FD is not providing the players with an environment in which to thrive and for whatever reason has sapped the players confidence and spirit.

Secondly it's genuinely sad to hear the comment that winning doesn't matter, having a crack does. We are so low that our expectation is not winning, it's trying.

Col comes across as a really genuine person with no answers and just frustrated and depressed with where we are. Those that simplify things to "the players aren't trying" just don't get it. Neeld told me we were going to lose last week when he was at pains to point out GCS were more experienced than us.

Absolutely.

It's gone so far that I find it hard to see how even the players can turn it around. They play with such little excitement/confidence that I feel it's almost certain that this stigma will stick with them.

Confidence can turn - but something is rotten at this club and it's infiltrated the playing group through their development, coaching and management.

I just hope against logic that what's being instilled at some level is a long-term mentality that will begin to click over as players get more time. Seeing the players that were brought in, however, does not fill me with any confidence. Whatsoever.

I heard the interview sue and that was not my impression.

I took at as well "they all turn up today ready to get on with things'.

Suggesting to me that no one bailed after yesterday.

But perhaps I was just hearing what I wanted to hear.

I'll make two points.

Everyone has their opinion and that's fine - but I reckon you are just happy to point at one person and blame it all on him.

This post wreaks of scape goating..... I agree the FD needs to be fixed, i have no doubt about there will be big changes. But for mine you are basically implying that the players are not responsible for their own performance, Neeld and the FD have to take a lot of the responsibility but a players ability to make a decision and execute a tackle or kick are solely on the player.

I find it most amazing and disturbing we are so desperate to blame and focus all our anger on one person that we'll accept the players don't have to perform to a minimum standard under any circumstancc because they're upset. Are we talking about AFL footy or the outback magoos???

Our players don't even meet minimum KPI's at VFL level (based on Sunday's game) I'd reckon

The whole club stick of under performance and low expectations or easy excuses - it's not me it's the coach, it's not my fault I can't coach it's the FD structure. It's not my fault the FD can't do their job etc etc - what a joke of an organisation

This club deserves to be kicked out of the AFL - professional organisation my ass

PS - im not implying Col Garland - he has been on positive in 2013 for mine

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 1

I heard the interview sue and that was not my impression.

I took at as well "they all turn up today ready to get on with things'.

Suggesting to me that no one bailed after yesterday.

But perhaps I was just hearing what I wanted to hear.

I thought so as well old dee - I thought he implied the boys were supporting Neeld

So unless I am hearing things according to many on this forum - Col is lying??

I'll tell you why you are not seeing results for all the hard work you put in at training Colin.

The game plan is not working. This kicking to a contest [censored] instead of waiting for a player to make an option stuff has got to stop.

This maning space instead of players is not working. Be in a zone or a press or whatever. It's not working.

The reason why there are so many attempts to tackle vs tackles laid is because you are not close enough to your opponant and they are getting the ball away before you get a chance.

We hear about how much running and how much harder preseason has been, but you dont use running to your advantage when attacking.

We are number 1 for contested marks because we kick to a contest more than any other team. Have a look at the uncontested possesion count this year. It's not that players are not making space, its that you are directed to kick quickly down the line instead of waiting for a player to be free.

It's not you Colin. Its the gameplan. Neelds gameplan.

• Like 5

I got that impression as well. This fits in with other things we've heard about that time, of players cancelling time trials and not doing things in training that the coaches wanted them to do. If he thinks that it's better now, how bad was the feeling around the club then?

I got that impression as well. This fits in with other things we've heard about that time, of players cancelling time trials and not doing things in training that the coaches wanted them to do. If he thinks that it's better now, how bad was the feeling around the club then?

Yup, definitely referring to the bailey era (if i could call it an era).

Seven seasons at the club and he's been a member of winning sides only 22 times. Joel Selwood had notched up 19 wins in his first year alone.

Poor bugger. Fronts up to the media and is asked to compare eras of incompetence.

• Like 5

Everyone seems to find deepmeanings and clues in what Col said. I don't think he said anything. "As a Demons fan you need to watch this." No, I didn't.

In light of our general insipidness, i found his honesty and emotion highly intriguing and quite raw. Which is rare in the media trained AFL players of the modern area.

Wasn't looking at exactly what he said, it was how he said it.

"As a demons fan you need to watch this. No I didn't".

No YOU didn't.

But the interest in this thread, responses on the official facebook post, responses on twitter, responses on news websites and AFL websites sharing the video, not to mention the TV news stations and radio and TV footy programs discussing the interview suggests that you are the minority.

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As
  • Like 7

In light of our general insipidness, i found his honesty and emotion highly intriguing and quite raw. Which is rare in the media trained AFL players of the modern area.

Wasn't looking at exactly what he said, it was how he said it.

"As a demons fan you need to watch this. No I didn't".

No YOU didn't.

But the interest in this thread, responses on the official facebook post, responses on twitter, responses on news websites and AFL websites sharing the video, not to mention the TV news stations and radio and TV footy programs discussing the interview suggests that you are the minority.

I love that interview.

In fact, I love this bloody club.

Garland is one of my very favourite players.

• Like 9