Guest rednblue4life

Most of the points you raise I would think are directly attributed to the influence of the coach. He might not be instructing them to play that way but given that they chose to ignore him isn't that an indicator that he may have lost them as a group?They certainly aren't playing for him. By the by I'm not excusing the players in all of this. We all know the truth is our playing list isn't up to scratch and nor is their attitude.

It is certainly looking that way. But we have Leigh Brown, Neil Craig, Jade Rawlings, Brian Royal as well. Are they not playing for them??

Dean baileys team had next to no defensive ability but these high draft picks like trengove and watts actually looked like high draft picks, with neeld there is no attacking flair, trengove looks more worried about his opponent than getting the ball himself.

It is certainly looking that way. But we have Leigh Brown, Neil Craig, Jade Rawlings, Brian Royal as well. Are they not playing for them??

My guess is that they're so confused that they don't know what they're doing. I have never been a fan of Royal as a coach. It seems that every area he is responsible for suddenly becomes our Achilles heel. The others with the exception of Craig are unknown quantities.

• Like 1

The greatest game plan in the world won't cut the mustard if it is not executed properly and if the players are too scared to play instinctively. The way we try and clear the ball from a kick in is ample evidence of that.

I particularly noticed the lack of second efforts by our players when compared not only to essndun but also other teams I have seen on Tv.

The second effort of tackling after losing or shepherding after giving off the ball. Jack Viney and Jones are the only 2 who seemto give that extra pressure. Chasing an opponent when they have the ball and putting that pressure that makes them turn it over doesnt seem to happen. Lack of run to provide an option also seems to be lacking

I am only seeing it on the screen but am certainly looking for improvement if we ever get on TV again.

MN aparently is trying to emulate the pies Game plan, are our players suited to it? how long till we see it?

All i see on field is players confused garding space and leaving the oposition players free, when we do get the ball we go long down the boundry even when its not the best option ie two on ones. Does MN have a plan B he can turn to when were getting smashed, all we seem to do is flood the back line.

Id like to see us play man on man for four quaters this week. Thoughts?

Well I agree with you to the extent that what seems fundamentally missing is defensive accountability right across the ground, from the backline to the forwards. Why this is happening is not so clear - poor game plan, poor coaching instructions (communication breakdown) or poor execution? Or bits of all?

In school footy, it's simple "man up!" We all understood when the coach barked that at us. In the 8 quarters of footy we've watched this year, what has been missing is effective defensive structures which means no defensive pressure on opposition players. And the result is you are always going to get smashed until you introduce it into your game plan, or communicate it into the players' heads, or train them (and bully them if necessary) into executing what the coach has got in mind.

Paul Roos described the problem as he saw it in Tuesday's Herald-Sun:

Paul Roos, whose Sydney sides were renowned for defensive discipline, said he believed most Demons did not have the appetite to get their hands dirty. "There's effort and there's maximum effort, and I talked about this a lot with our players. I don't think any player goes out there and doesn't give effort, but what you don't see with Melbourne is maximum effort and that's what those stats show".

"Maximum effort is working both ways. Players coming into the game now, the majority can find the ball and they know where to go to get it, but do they want to work and stop someone else from getting it? Not many want to do that initially. You have to teach them. Everyone wants to run and get the ball and it's fun and part of the game, and it's what we loved as a kid, but the not-so-sexy part is tackling, spreading, running and picking someone up. I think Melbourne players give effort, but they don't give maximum effort. Probably some of them don't have a clue what maximum effort is."

Exactly.

It's hopeless trying to defend by guarding space when your opponent is a step away - pinpoint passes mean you're never going to make up even one yard separation when he's got the ball and you're chasing. Not a possibility of laying a tackle.

The good thing is that this can all be changed around pretty quickly. If it's a failing in the coaching game plan, MN just needs to realise the importance of effective defensive structures. If it's communication problems, surely the message is now loud and clear. if it's the players not giving maximum effort as Roos says, then that's why we've got coaches and mentors like Craig.

Just give them some tackling goals and hammer the message of accountability for your opponent and absolute importance of "maximum effort". Or go out there and head hunt Paul Roos!

Wasn't sure where to post this and didn't want to start a new thread. Good article by Robinson that sums up Neelds plight pretty well and largely mirrors my thoughts (which is probably why i reckon its a good article!).

I have to say i am losing faith in Neeld. He hasn't given the fans anything to hang their hat on yet - no real glimmer. Quite the opposite unfortunately.

Compare Neeld to Hinkley. If there was a shomozzle ladder at the end of last season we would have been on top with Port second (albeit a distant second). So the situations are somewhat comparable. Hinkley has recognized that you have to sell a bit of hope and that the focus just can't solely be on process. He seems to have got the players excited and up and about. His club is 2-0 and with more excitement in the pre season and opening 2 rounds than we have had in the whole time Neeld has been on board.

I think Neeld and the club has been a bit naive not to acknowledge the fans (and players) need more than process, competitive quarters KPI's etc etc. There is no humanity in those things - no magic. Robinson is right - he has lost the players.

Should he go. Not yet. Lets see if he can win the hearts and minds of the players.

But really the argument about him going or staying is largely moot. History tells us that if the on field performances do not make a dramatic improvement he is gone. And yes it could be as soon as GWS. Lets say WC beats us easily and then GWS beats us at home. The pressure to sack him will be enormous and depending on how bad the losses are he may well be toast. Fair? Neither here or there. As he says often enough football is an unforgiving industry (god i hate that word as applied to football but there you go)

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

Someone may have said this but I have no idea what the game plan is

After watching the first two games of this year we have seemingly just ran around in confusion.

When you get beaten by 20+ whatever it is is sure not working

• Like 3

Someone may have said this but I have no idea what the game plan is

After watching the first two games of this year we have seemingly just ran around in confusion.

When you get beaten by 20+ whatever it is is sure not working

Who does have any idea about the "game plan"? I presume Neeld does but unfortunately the players don't appear to. As for the rest of us? I'm with you OD, NFI.

After watching Neelds pre game address, I'm convinced, he has no idea, and the players have no confidence in him.

This is what i think is wrong with us at the moment , and the reason why so many wanted to jump ship at the end of last season.

At the risk of opening myself up to captain obvious calls, despite different gameplans, styles of play, attacking defensive, weaknesses up forward or downback(although not both at the same time) the key to winning the big dance is a top midfield or at least something elite about how it operates. This becomes much more important if you and/or your oppo play wide as you have many more stoppages. Adherence to whatever overall gameplan is vital, but I just think our midfield is a long way off it at the moment. We in my view really need to chase a top mid from somewhere, if nothing else to take the tag to allow the others to grow and to set an example. Now where to find this bloke...lol