Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

Perhaps you should have a read through my post as you obviously haven't read it yet and then come back to me.

Summary: Expect criticism if you mislead your supporters. My goal is to support a competitive club and I don't at the moment.

I've said it before to someone else; what's your tipping point?

To be honest, I don't believe I am in a position to judge if Mark Neeld should continue to coach the MFC. I simply don't have the data. And to react to short term losses without the actual data, strategy, etc... denies the possibility that these losses are necessary for medium term gains and real progress. Mark may well have got his job with a 3 year plan that included the first two years being painful while he transformed the list, culture, game style, etc...

The point is I DON'T KNOW.

Given this, I need to trust the leaders of the club do know. I trust that

• they had faith in Mark Neeld ahead of others.
  • they will monitor his and the teams performance and evaluate if he is meeting the expectations they have of him.
  • they will act in a honourable, professional way and mature way if they change their minds about the value of Mark as coach.
  • they will fall on their own swords, should the appointment of Mark Neeld become (in retrospect) a profoundly bad one.

Given I doubt many on this forum have much more data on the coach than is available on this site. I can only conclude that the ones running the "time to go" campaign are happy to make an ill considered and emotional decision which may not actually take us toward the premiership we all seek.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 3

It is only you that thinks it's urgent, by the way what do you think of Brendan McCartney as a coach, second season in won 6 lost 23, sounds nearly familiar.

BM shows the people skills required of a coach and he began with a list that did not have the potential of MFC's list - he also, sensibly, did not unreasonably raise expectations, and he has maintained a sensible and simple game plan, even though the Doggies struggled to find a key forward!

James Magner is not up to AFL standard.

Simple.

But Nicholson and McKenzie are?

Groovy.

Mags would've made a big difference this week against the younger Suns. I can't see how it can be argued otherwise.

BM shows the people skills required of a coach and he began with a list that did not have the potential of MFC's list - he also, sensibly, did not unreasonably raise expectations, and he has maintained a sensible and simple game plan, even though the Doggies struggled to find a key forward!

This.

When dean bailey was sacked he said the next Coach will have an armchair ride to the finals. I believed him. Yep, a lot of players were underdeveloped, but there was untapped talent that the right voice could made a difference. Neeld was not the voice, and ultimately, he put about 14 players in the "too hard" basket and went on to build neelds list. I look at neelds list, it's a bunch of battlers. I don't see premierships with these names. I don't even see finals.

• Like 3

This.

When dean bailey was sacked he said the next Coach will have an armchair ride to the finals. I believed him. Yep, a lot of players were underdeveloped, but there was untapped talent that the right voice could made a difference. Neeld was not the voice, and ultimately, he put about 14 players in the "too hard" basket and went on to build neelds list. I look at neelds list, it's a bunch of battlers. I don't see premierships with these names. I don't even see finals.

Respectfully, you should read my post again, more carefully!

To be honest, I don't believe I am in a position to judge if Mark Neeld should continue to coach the MFC. I simply don't have the data. And to react to short term losses without the actual data, strategy, etc... denies the possibility that these losses are necessary for medium term gains and real progress. Mark may well have got his job with a 3 year plan that included the first two years being painful while he transformed the list, culture, game style, etc...

The point is I DON'T KNOW.

Given this, I need to trust the leaders of the club do know. I trust that

• they had faith in Mark Neeld ahead of others.
  • they will monitor his and the teams performance and evaluate if he is meeting the expectations they have of him.
  • they will act in a honourable, professional way and mature way if they change their minds about the value of Mark as coach.
  • they will fall on their own swords, should the appointment of Mark Neeld become (in retrospect) a profoundly bad one.

Given I doubt many on this forum have much more data on the coach than is available on this site. I can only conclude that the ones running the "time to go" campaign are happy to make an ill considered and emotional decision which may not actually take us toward the premiership we all seek.

I have lost faith in the club to the point I doubt anything they say, and I don't have enough faith in them to know whether Neeld can coach or not. For many years, like you, I've gone along with the board and management thinking that they know what's best, I no longer have that view.

Our club lurches from one disaster to another, and it's been so long since we've been a successful CLUB, we no longer have any idea what one is; we've had some good sides, but we haven't had a good, well run CLUB, for 50 years.

I hope that Jackson can sort out the mess we are in and clear out the rabble that we have in there.

At this point in time I don't know if we will survive and this might be the last hurrah, hopefully not, but it's not looking good and the club's administrators and board appear to be at best inept.

• Like 2

This.

The biggest problem is he replaced poor payers with poor players that we're a lot older.

There is no future at the club for those players he thought were money ball.

You forgot.....and make no input to get it......just deserves it.......

So now MN's performance is Gen Y's fault - clutching at straws Sat!

You forgot.....and make no input to get it......just deserves it.......

So now MN's performance is Gen Y's fault! Worse still, you unfairly attack Gen Y by implication! Sat, you need to jump a few decades and catch up with the real world!

It seems that some Melbourne supporters are now becoming drama queens FFS we are not insolvent, the club will be around for many many years once Jackson sorts out what the problem is, all will be solved.

"he wanted me to play with a lot more speed and intensity and just play on instinct. That’s exactly what I did, so it’s working. I’m quite pleased that he made me do it in the end.”

Tapscott on Neeld. (my underlining ...)

• Like 1

Mags would've made a big difference this week against the younger Suns. I can't see how it can be argued otherwise.

It can be argued otherwise. They're a lot faster than what he is (just for starters).

Magner is not the saviour, and if he was, he wouldn't be running round in the two's. He had a few decent games early last year, but was eventually found out at senior level. With another year under his belt now, who knows, but he'll get his chance.

It can be argued otherwise. They're a lot faster than what he is (just for starters).

Magner is not the saviour, and if he was, he wouldn't be running round in the two's. He had a few decent games early last year, but was eventually found out at senior level. With another year under his belt now, who knows, but he'll get his chance.

bing, as a rule of thumb, should I just assume you will vehemently defend every single decision Neeld makes? Still waiting on your response in the "70 plus games" thread btw.

I'm not saying he's the saviour for heaven's sake, but against a team with the Suns' experience, a certified ball winner who is consistently leading the possessions in the twos wouldn't have helped a team who simply can't get their hands on the pill?

Alot faster than he is? What does that have to do with anything? How is that relevant to his core function?

Eventually found out? Perhaps if he was consistently played in the middle instead of being switched to being a defensive forward, he would've been able to prove his wares more often. He's never going to be a star, but a mature bodied player who know how to contest for the ball and tries his guts out would appear to be a no brainier in our current predicament.

Edited by P_Man
  • Like 1

Generation Y think things happen over night... I'd give Neeld the time till the end of his contract - who is to say by halfway through the year, things won't begin to click.

So now MN's performance is Gen Y's fault! Worse still, you unfairly attack Gen Y by implication! Sat, you need to jump a few decades and catch up with the real world!

So what, you would rather axe a coach with a long-term strategy?

Since 1965 no coach (apart from Daniher) has lasted more than 5 years.

Bailey lasted 2, and now people are calling for Neeld to go after less than 2 - we are eating through coaches like an American at a all you can eat buffet

A great reflection on our demand for short-term performance than long-term...

Do a bit more research........John Northey lasted 7 GREAT years... The were the best times in the last 50 years...

• Like 4

bing, as a rule of thumb, should I just assume you will vehemently defend every single decision Neeld makes? ....

Just pointing out that there are two sides to every argument, and that applies equally to the Magner situation. (and the Neeld one ...)

If we lose by 5 goals to gold coast and Mark Neeld says, " we thought it was a good effort to get within 5 goals" any shred of faith i have/had in him will be gone.

We should win this game and there are no excuses when it's at the G

• Like 1

James Magner is not up to AFL standard.

Simple.

That was said in jest surely Jumbo yes?

Hasn't played 1 game this year so how can you judge if he is or isn't? Basing it on last year's form maybe? If that were the basis for your judgement half our team should be playing for Casey.

But players who have played this year who clearly aren't AFL standard (and there's plenty of them) you're willing to keep playing, but leave Magner downstairs to fester it would seem?

Looking forward to your next entertaining line :lol:

I think most who support his elevation aren't expecting him to be. Rediculous assumption.

He's shown form at Casey and has played through the mid previously (some experience at AFL level). Well positioned for a call up in order to assist the ROTATIONS and provide a contest.

Doesn't have to be A/B grade from the get go or the rest of this season as he certainly isn't replacing an A or B grade mid fielder. And now that Trengove/Grimes are out, replacement mids are in order just to cover their loss and assist Jones/Sylvia/McKenzie (or Rodan). The former 2 needing as much assistance as they can get if they're to see out a whole match at a competitive work rate and give us any chance of winning matches or at least staying in them for a longer period.