Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

What do people honestly think the line is this week?

Centerbet has it at 10 goals - IMO that's generous to us, in my head it's more like 80 points. But what sort of state is that when we're up against a mid-table club and I think that if we lose by 10 goals it's better than expected?

Carlton are working hard, quick, confident and have a good midfield. We have/are none of those things. I will be surprised with losing by less than 100 points. We are mentally weak, have no on-field leaders, no resilience and little midfield talent. Really, we are 4-8 goals per quarter worse than carlton. We'll get blown away mid-late first quarter and that will be that.

This could be 186. At least it would finally force the Neeld issue.

I hate this.

• Like 1

Had an interesting conversation with a coterie member last night. According to him Neeld has the backing, support and friendship of the players. However he is quite dictatorial and is steadfast in implementing a gameplan he believes will succeed in the long term. The players are struggling with this at times and seem to get caught flat footed during games as they work out where they should be on the ground, in relation to the ball, their man, their teammates and the opposition as a whole. He says the crap about "lost the players" is simply that, crap. Neeld argued with several of the old brigade including a stoush with Davey. All normal stuff when a new coach arrives.He's content in sitting tight as like me believes our total lack of quality midfielders is the main impediment to our success.

Maybe like him we should back our coach for a little longer

By the way, this guy is a friend of a friend who I met for the first time last night. Seemed a have genuine love of the club and I've no reason to doubt what he said.

If Neeld believes the midfield is holding us back, why has he used 3 first round picks on key position forwards?

Most people would appreciate that the game is generally lost and won in the midfield. So why have we stacked up on the forward line?

• Like 1

Had an interesting conversation with a coterie member last night. According to him Neeld has the backing, support and friendship of the players. However he is quite dictatorial and is steadfast in implementing a gameplan he believes will succeed in the long term. The players are struggling with this at times and seem to get caught flat footed during games as they work out where they should be on the ground, in relation to the ball, their man, their teammates and the opposition as a whole. He says the crap about "lost the players" is simply that, crap. Neeld argued with several of the old brigade including a stoush with Davey. All normal stuff when a new coach arrives.He's content in sitting tight as like me believes our total lack of quality midfielders is the main impediment to our success.

By the way, this guy is a friend of a friend who I met for the first time last night. Seemed a have genuine love of the club and I've no reason to doubt what he said.

Certainly not unbelievable.

One of the more mainstream speculations (and criticisms) going around to explain our on-field chaos has been that he went "all in" with the gameplan rather than implement a measured transition - or at least one more suited to the current cattle.

I'm watching this one with interest. I don't expect a win. I expect an honest effort. If the club gets that, then it will be something. If the heads drop and people begin dogging it, then Neeld's days are numbered.

That really says it all, if the players after two pre seasons and a season and five games can't work out the game plan then there is a problem.

There are a couple of theories on here, one is he has too complicated a game plan, one is he has lost the players and one is he simply can't coach, I sit in between he can't coach and he has too complicated a game plan. If after all this time we still haven't grasped the game plan then it's the coach's fault; unless of course we have the dumbest players ever to take the field.

Any smart man will know when it's time to cut his losses and abandon a plan that doesn't work or is just too difficult to make work; Neeld should realise that we are not grasping his plan and unless he is going to take the field and play in every position it's doomed. He has the opportunity to salvage his career but he must make some changes and do it immediately, if not he should go.

No coach can live with continual 100 point or near enough thrashings and if he can't see that he is too inflexible to coach a team. Remember how Barass won a flag for the Blues against Collingwood; he abandoned his game plan at half time and said just get out there and handball, handball, handball; they did and they won.

• Like 1

Roost It, this confirms what I have been trying to say for last month or so, but the naysayers don't want to hear it, I have heard it from staff members, players and the assistant coaches

I'm with PaulRB "Less than 1% offer anything more than biased venting from our weekends defeat dressed up as "justified anger" toward our coach. Which I think has become tedious and demeaning to all"

It angers me that some supporter/posters on this board seem to be wishing for Melbourne to get belted and this will lead to Neeld being sacked, which is what they want

And then we have others, where the post is all about them, "i am sad", "I am depressed" etc etc ad nauseum...it's footy, they can't have much a life if it means that much to them....maybe they should look at that first

Edit must proof read something typed qukicyl

That's absolute rubbish, there is not one supporter/poster on here that wants to see the club lose, there would be major grovelling if he won the next 6 games and apologies coming out of the woodwork; but we know that won't happen. I have nothing against Neeld but I don't want him to destroy the club I love and if this continues and he loses game after game by huge margins then we are in trouble.

As for this crap, you are one of the most prolific posters on the site and seem to have a love affair with all thing Melbourne, so don't criticise others for the same thing.

BTW that's not how you spell quickly, so perhaps you should proof read your edits as well.

• Like 6

robbie, first thing is the plan you talk about will be fluid

the idea is after 2014 whoever coaches will have a list of players that CAN adapt to different styles and plans

they will have a great fitness base to recover on a regular basis and recover from injury at a better rate

the 2015 coach will also have a complete list of who can play where and under what conditions

this is called a rebuild and this is what its ABOUT

im watching most weeks looking at the positioning and learning skills that players are getting

id like to see them winning regulary but understand the format the COMMITTEE has opted for

if you dont like there call, please write to them and give your membership number when you do

also you could stand for a position on the committee and change whats happening, to suit yourself

robbie, first thing is the plan you talk about will be fluid

the idea is after 2014 whoever coaches will have a list of players that CAN adapt to different styles and plans

they will have a great fitness base to recover on a regular basis and recover from injury at a better rate

the 2015 coach will also have a complete list of who can play where and under what conditions

this is called a rebuild and this is what its ABOUT

im watching most weeks looking at the positioning and learning skills that players are getting

id like to see them winning regulary but understand the format the COMMITTEE has opted for

if you dont like there call, please write to them and give your membership number when you do

also you could stand for a position on the committee and change whats happening, to suit yourself

There is absolutely no fluidity in the plan at the moment so I'm not sure where you get that from; do you have information from the coach that you can share with the rest of us? As for fitness base, we seem to run out of puff half way through the game, so where that great fitness base you are talking about is, I'm not sure. I would say we are probably the least fit side in the competition and the least disciplined.

I'm in my mid 60's and I've been through 50 years of rebuilds so I don't need you to tell me what one is. As for the committee opting for this plan, do you have any information on that, is that something else that you'd like to share here; my understanding was Garry Lyon picked the coach not the Committee.

The rest of your post doesn't deserve a response.

• Like 2

There is absolutely no fluidity in the plan at the moment so I'm not sure where you get that from; do you have information from the coach that you can share with the rest of us? As for fitness base, we seem to run out of puff half way through the game, so where that great fitness base you are talking about is, I'm not sure. I would say we are probably the least fit side in the competition and the least disciplined.

I'm in my mid 60's and I've been through 50 years of rebuilds so I don't need you to tell me what one is. As for the committee opting for this plan, do you have any information on that, is that something else that you'd like to share here; my understanding was Garry Lyon picked the coach not the Committee.

The rest of your post doesn't deserve a response.

trying different plans to see players adjust.

good to see somebody in there 60 s understand this

base fitness was considered the lowest in the league, it takes 3 preseasons to be brought up to standard. the players found this out last year when they got to r1 completely buggered, this year will be similar until the end of 2014 pre

yes i have confirmation the committee went for this plan, they agreed to appoint the FD

that was my post, reading and understanding sentences will be next weeks lesson

So what? Neeld still has his group playing for him. Playing what?

Blind freddy can see that Neelds style cannot be understood. Bring in the Casey coach, he seems to be getting the message across and has a better win loss record so far this year.

Frankly, Neeld is taking far too long to show any improvement. It is just dumbfounding.

trying different plans to see players adjust.

good to see somebody in there 60 s understand this

base fitness was considered the lowest in the league, it takes 3 preseasons to be brought up to standard. the players found this out last year when they got to r1 completely buggered, this year will be similar until the end of 2014 pre

yes i have confirmation the committee went for this plan, they agreed to appoint the FD

that was my post, reading and understanding sentences will be next weeks lesson

That's good to hear, I hope you learn something from it. BTW there are quite a few here that over 60 and it might surprise you but they are generally more intelligent than you, but that's not a stretch.

I would suggest you leave your condescending tone at home, you sound like a pratt.

• Like 1

That's good to hear, I hope you learn something from it. BTW there are quite a few here that over 60 and it might surprise you but they are generally more intelligent than you, but that's not a stretch.

I would suggest you leave your condescending tone at home, you sound like a pratt.

learned something from WHAT

pratt hmmm maybe. voted third most improved pratt in the district last year

are there more intelligent people than me on this site, i would imagine so. but whats that got to do with anything

you posed a number of things and i answered them,

so whats your problem , dont like answers that dont suit you, or just beaten down so much by losing that the club owes you a sacking

Edited by jazza

Robbie, while not in my 60's, I am not that far away. Like you, I have seen 50 years of re-build after so-called re-build, with some bright periods along the way, that have kept me coming back for more, without reaching the golden prize.

But the difference with today's football world is that is a cut throat business now. Unlike the late '60's, '70's and 80's, you cannot survive any longer on prolonged mediocrity. The sponsors won't buy it, the media won't buy it, supporters feel more and more disenfranchised and perhaps more importantly our AFL masters won't tolerate it. That is why Jackson is trying to steer the good ship MFC back on course. His main problem is, he has to get it back on an even keel first.

Any one of us on here can hypothesise about the game plan or lack thereof, as much as we like. The facts are, our results are abysmal and the current footy world is losing patience with us.

Something has to be done and its got to be sooner rather than later.

• Like 16

Robbie, while not in my 60's, I am not that far away. Like you, I have seen 50 years of re-build after so-called re-build, with some bright periods along the way, that have kept me coming back for more, without reaching the golden prize.

But the difference with today's football world is that is a cut throat business now. Unlike the late '60's, '70's and 80's, you cannot survive any longer on prolonged mediocrity. The sponsors won't buy it, the media won't buy it, supporters feel more and more disenfranchised and perhaps more importantly our AFL masters won't tolerate it. That is why Jackson is trying to steer the good ship MFC back on course. His main problem is, he has to get it back on an even keel first.

Any one of us on here can hypothesise about the game plan or lack thereof, as much as we like. The facts are, our results are abysmal and the current footy world is losing patience with us.

Spot on..VG Post.

• Like 2

If anyone's interested, my column this week looks at Neeld and Hinkley. I think Neeld is on borrowed time.

http://backpagelead.com.au/afl/9305-no-limits-port-a-model-lesson-for-dees

Cheers

Nice article. Unfortunately I suspect it's a little more complex than that though.

Simple messages always appeal more to the masses though - I get that. Doesn't mean they're right. Or wrong for that matter. They're just compelling, albeit on a superficial level - such is 'journalism' today.

People were saying much the same thing about Sanderson last year - however his name's not in lights thus far this year.

Why not? Has he become a different man/coach in the past few months?

Probably not - I suspect it's all to do with the win and loss ratio of the Crows.

That Hinkley's doing well is not a surprise to many - he's always enjoyed an extremely good reputation, but the cattle he's working with aren't irrelevant. For instance, I don't expect he could coach the Scotch College Firsts to beat WCE.

And the very people who used to bag me for arguing that the worst thing the club did was to cut Junior McDonald prematurely (ie, b/c of his soft tissue injuries, good young mids coming through etc) are the very same people who are now saying that Neeld doesn't have sufficient respect for the senior players. And there might be some truth to this - the appointment of the two young Captains and his apparent treatment of Moloney, Rivers and Davey did concern me at the time - but the chorus of complaint wasn't as unified then as it's become recently.

Bloody unbelievable really. More blowing in the breeze.

Some here seem to think Napolean or Spartacus, great people leaders, could just walk into the MFC and start winning AFL games.

Neeld may or may not be a great communicator to the players - I don't know - but I think our issues were far greater than this, and the systems and structures that are now being introduced needed to happen. I suspect he lacks EQ, but I also think he understands football in a technical sense.

IMO we didn't have a list in 2011 that any great communicator could simply come in and consistently extract top four performances out of.

To the contrary, it seemed to me that some fundamental changes needed to be made. In that, perhaps some poor decisions were made - although, in a macro sense, I think the methodology has been sound.

The football department struck me as entirely amateur prior to Nov 2011. Not irrelevant to this debate.

• Like 4

So far, we're worse than last year.

That's all there is to it.

Stuie without using stats tell me how we are worse than last year, I'm not saying we are or are not just want to see the argument provided either way without using stats. As I said before stats can work any way you wish.

I heard ealrier today only 4 teams have improved defensivley this season Port, Dogs, Essendon & can't recall the other of the top of my head may have been North but it was not one of the top sides. Just putting it out there

Like a lot of others on here I run a business and understand the importance of momentum; if you lose it someone else will step in and take your place. We have lost momentum since 2006 and other teams are stealing our youth, they are taking the kids that would have supported the MFC and have turned away from us because we are failing every year.

No kid wants to support a team that's losing every week/year and doesn't even put up a fight, and whilst they might support us for a while they will drop off as we get worse, that means we lose them and probably their kids as well. We are at the top of a cliff and about to topple over the edge and we will if this keeps up. My grandson doesn't care if he goes anymore, even my son doesn't want to go anymore, he's over it.

• Like 3

I don't agree.

Moloney under Bailey won the B&F

Moloney under Neeld played for Casey

Moloney under Voss is playing good footy and equal to that which he played under Bailey.

Moloney hasn't changed, only the coaches.

If you think there has been improvement in our younger players why are we being beaten by an average of 87 points by non development clubs? Trengove, Grimes, Watts, Frawley, McKenzie, Strauss, Blease, Garland are no better than when he arrived and in some cases significantly worse.

Can you point to significant improvement in any area since Bailey left? I can't.

How do you think we'll go against Carlton? What would be acceptable?

But each to their own.

You missed my point.

Moloney DID change in 2012, because Moloney felt he got burnt when he was dropped from the leadership team and proceeded to play extremely poor footy. It was his own making and fault.

You're using an extremely bias example, and the only reason why you cant use another player is because no one else who was drafted off has played

"Trengove, Grimes, Watts, Frawley, McKenzie, Strauss, Blease, Garland are no better than when he arrived and in some cases significantly worse"

Trengrove - Improved, but last few games performance has dropped

Grimes - Improved

Watts - didnt improve under Bailey or MN and the moment MN was going to play him in the forward he gets injured

Frawley - improved. Had to tag the best forwards in every team, including two undefeated clubs.

Strauss - come off it, he broke his leg and had a shoulder reconstruction, how is MN supposed to improve a play who hasnt been able to play footy for the last 2 years

Blease - improved. Played some great footy last year, setting the majority of his pb's such as 5 goals, 29 disposals ect.

Garland - most improved player out of them all this year

The biggest improvement from 2011 (Bailey) and 2012 (Neeld) is that we averaged 3 more goals per game... another improvement would be better use/improvement from our rookie list, trimming the fat off the list and drafting in better players (such as Byrnes) for once (none under Bailey).

If you dislike MN because we aren't winning games - just say it.

• Like 2

Nice article. Unfortunately I suspect it's a little more complex than that though.

Simple messages always appeal more to the masses though - I get that. Doesn't mean they're right. Or wrong for that matter. They're just compelling, albeit on a superficial level - such is 'journalism' today.

People were saying much the same thing about Sanderson last year - however his name's not in lights thus far this year.

Why not? Has he become a different man/coach in the past few months?

Probably not - I suspect it's all to do with the win and loss ratio of the Crows.

That Hinkley's doing well is not a surprise to many - he's always enjoyed an extremely good reputation, but the cattle he's working with aren't irrelevant. For instance, I don't expect he could coach the Scotch College Firsts to beat WCE.

And the very people who used to bag me for arguing that the worst thing the club did was to cut Junior McDonald prematurely (ie, b/c of his soft tissue injuries, good young mids coming through etc) are the very same people who are now saying that Neeld doesn't have sufficient respect for the senior players. And there might be some truth to this - the appointment of the two young Captains and his apparent treatment of Moloney, Rivers and Davey did concern me at the time - but the chorus of complaint wasn't as unified then as it's become recently.

Bloody unbelievable really. More blowing in the breeze.

Some here seem to think Napolean or Spartacus, great people leaders, could just walk into the MFC and start winning AFL games.

Neeld may or may not be a great communicator to the players - I don't know - but I think our issues were far greater than this, and the systems and structures that are now being introduced needed to happen. I suspect he lacks EQ, but I also think he understands football in a technical sense.

IMO we didn't have a list in 2011 that any great communicator could simply come in and consistently extract top four performances out of.

To the contrary, it seemed to me that some fundamental changes needed to be made. In that, perhaps some poor decisions were made - although, in a macro sense, I think the methodology has been sound.

The football department struck me as entirely amateur prior to Nov 2011. Not irrelevant to this debate.

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think Sanderson has lost any respect or admiration just yet. He still says all the right things and is quite demanding. I quite like how we called out his ruckman (Jacobs) recently. He seems to have responded reasonably well. Injuries will cruel his year though.

It's not so much having your name in lights, but I worry about the public things Neeld says (even if they may be true). You would almost start believing that we're not expected to win and go out happy with a reasonable effort. Put some responsibility on the players, put expectations. If we're to be any good, it must happen.

Not sure Scotch and West Coast are a fair comparison, but Hinkley's cattle (most of them) won only eight games in the last two years.

No doubt Melbourne's problems are deeper, and it's a factor. Without knowing any specific, Neeld has walked into a horrible place. Perhaps it's about time we started putting some blame on the players. After six years or rubbish, what right do they have to rebel against a coach (if true).

Spot on. Paul Roos said that the Sydney market couldn't stand the Swans bottoming out and that they had to stay competitive.

Mark Neeld and this administration has brought us to the same spot. Unless there is immediate improvement and going to watch MFC play becomes enjoyable we risk losing what little support we have and our status in the game. Just at the moment I couldn't give a flying toss about Premierships, I want my club to survive in Melbourne in an independent form.

I simply don't believe that this administration approved a plan that said that 18 months after Neeld took over we'd have an average losing margin against non development clubs of 87 points and the coach would be saying we are where GWS are. That was NOT the plan. Neeld has taken us to the brink, hopefully Jackson saves our hide.

• Like 4

I am very frightened about this weekend.

I believe Carlton have the best ruck and mid-field going around (just my opinion). They chop teams up once their mid-field start to dominate, they run hard and fast and have the ability to score at lightening pace with 3 dominate small forwards. We have no one that can match their midfield or mosquito squad forwards. At the same time our players seem lost, tend to think about the game plan, where they should be standing/running rather than just playing by their instincts. We are weak, confidence smashed, are players look disenchanted, they look broken. We are in a death roll and the coach has no answers on how to create mentally strength required to at least not be a complete embarrassment. This could well be MFCs darkest day.

The line bet at 60 points is an amazingly generous bet. We should all be putting money on Carlton on the line so as the pain of the pending bloodbath is slightly smoothed with some cash.

My gut tells me this will be the last time we see Neeld coach. Please let this be the silver lining to what is promising to be another very dark day.

Sorry for sounding so pessimistic, I am a natural bull, but this is where we are at.

I simply don't believe that this administration approved a plan that said that 18 months after Neeld took over we'd have an average losing margin against non development clubs of 87 points and the coach would be saying we are where GWS are. That was NOT the plan. Neeld has taken us to the brink, hopefully Jackson saves our hide.

BB - Definetly agree with your point where everyone thought we would be. The bold part really worries me. I believe everyone assumes if Neeld goes that suddenly everything will change.... It won't.

As a club we are where we are - only hard work will get us back to where we want to be.

Peter Jackson coming in will not solve any problems short term - His appointment is to assess where we are at and make recommendations.

People need to get their heads out of the clouds - Sacking Neeld will not solve our problems.......... FWIW I don't say that in supporting Neeld to stay - it's just a fact that we are no better then a bottom 4 side

I am very frightened about this weekend.

I believe Carlton have the best ruck and mid-field going around (just my opinion). They chop teams up once their mid-field start to dominate, they run hard and fast and have the ability to score at lightening pace with 3 dominate small forwards. We have no one that can match their midfield or mosquito squad forwards. At the same time our players seem lost, tend to think about the game plan, where they should be standing/running rather than just playing by their instincts. We are weak, confidence smashed, are players look disenchanted, they look broken. We are in a death roll and the coach has no answers on how to create mentally strength required to at least not be a complete embarrassment. This could well be MFCs darkest day.

The line bet at 60 points is an amazingly generous bet. We should all be putting money on Carlton on the line so as the pain of the pending bloodbath is slightly smoothed with some cash.

My gut tells me this will be the last time we see Neeld coach. Please let this be the silver lining to what is promising to be another very dark day.

Sorry for sounding so pessimistic, I am a natural bull, but this is where we are at.

Who cares..... the whole year is going to be [censored]

Expect to be beaten a lot

Does that make you feel better now? Whoever is coach of this team in 2013 will get spanked a lot

It;s full of [censored] weakso called leaders on and off the field and the high expectations on too young players expected to lift the load our senior players can't in years 1 & 2.and even 3

Neeld gambled on having 3 years - and lost

Wowee we are back to rebuilding again......... Luckily midfields can be built in a year or 2, so until 2015 i reckon we will be sitting here complaining about getting spanked a lot

Edited by Unleash Hell

Lose by 120 points and Neeld says, yeah but we were good for the first 10 minutes.

Sorry buddy, this is an elite sports industry and you aren't getting results.

• Like 1

BB - Definetly agree with your point where everyone thought we would be. The bold part really worries me. I believe everyone assumes if Neeld goes that suddenly everything will change.... It won't.

As a club we are where we are - only hard work will get us back to where we want to be.

Peter Jackson coming in will not solve any problems short term - His appointment is to assess where we are at and make recommendations.

People need to get their heads out of the clouds - Sacking Neeld will not solve our problems.......... FWIW I don't say that in supporting Neeld to stay - it's just a fact that we are no better then a bottom 4 side

Maybe so, but in my humble opinion, we're better than what is on display at the present time. I reckon anyone on here; most MFC supporters in fact, can handle the losses. What we cannot abide is the way we lose at the present time.

You're right, Jackson will make recommendations and I would suggest those recommendations will not make good reading for some current key people at the club.

• Like 2