Jordie McKenzie

olisik

Jordie Mckenzie  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Watching him last week I think this is where he got into some trouble 'Macca', he was looking for the quick give and when it was closed down he was rushed in his kick and the results weren't good. I think he has no confidence in his kick and the opposition know he is going to give off and are closing him down. He needs to take best option and use his kick when it is on or give off when it is on, at the moment he is very one dimensional and is looking to get out of taking responsibility for kicking the ball.

I know the coaches were on to him about kicking when it was there for him last year so lets see how it pans out but he needs to get better, that's an understatement.

It's hard to teach awareness rjay, but there are drills that can help a player get better with their peripheral vision. Anyone can handpass - some do it better than others. A long handpass to position used to be a bigger part of our game and I reckon it should be utilised more in the modern game. (especially with the packs we now have) A player has to practice handballing long to position with speed and also then needs the confidence to be able to do it in a game. McKenzie doesn't look confident when he has the ball - but he can have that confidence. It's up to Jordie.

If you're not a great kick you have to be able to handpass well with good vision. Weightman, Williams, Flower. Cable and Farmer could all handpass to great effect (they could all also kick the ball well) With practice any player should be able to handpass the ball 15 - 20 metres with speed and accuracy. It's not that difficult a skill to master. Fast hands in close is a pre-requisite for an inside mid but I often wonder why we don't see more instances where a player is standing 15- 20 metres off the pack, waiting for the long, quick out. (or at least be ready to run on to that long, quick handpass)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

It's hard to teach awareness rjay, but there are drills that can help a player get better with their peripheral vision. Anyone can handpass - some do it better than others. A long handpass to position used to be a bigger part of our game and I reckon it should be utilised more in the modern game. (especially with the packs we now have) A player has to practice handballing long to position with speed and also then needs the confidence to be able to do it in a game. McKenzie doesn't look confident when he has the ball - but he can have that confidence. It's up to Jordie.

If you're not a great kick you have to be able to handpass well with good vision. Weightman, Williams, Flower. Cable and Farmer could all handpass to great effect (they could all also kick the ball well) With practice any player should be able to handpass the ball 15 - 20 metres with speed and accuracy. It's not that difficult a skill to master. Fast hands in close is a pre-requisite for an inside mid but I often wonder why we don't see more instances where a player is standing 15- 20 metres off the pack, waiting for the long, quick out. (or at least be ready to run on to that long, quick handpass)

Looks like a rabbit in headlights when he has the ball doesn't he 'Macca'? I'm hoping it's a confidence issue and he can get over it, he won't be the best kick around but surely he's better than what he's produced recently.

Looks like a rabbit in headlights when he has the ball doesn't he 'Macca'? I'm hoping it's a confidence issue and he can get over it, he won't be the best kick around but surely he's better than what he's produced recently.

In his favour is that he's only 22 years old, he's a goer, and he should be able to improve his disposal (probably more so his handballing skills) Every team needs a tagger or 2 and there are no other 'likely' candidates on our list. I read somewhere that Allan Jeans had a philosophy that if you win the tackles, you win the game. A lot on our list can't tackle very well.

We shouldn't be at all concerned on whether he's going to 'good' player in a 'good' side yet. You need players to help you get there and we're miles off being a good side right now. If we improve, so might McKenzie. Apart from anything else, he's nowhere near our biggest issue. Right across the board, we need a truckload of improvement to be able to get into contention.

I'm not being an apologist for Jordie - he, like many others on our list, needs to get a lot better.

• Like 2

he wouldnt get a game in a top 8 team.

needs to improve alot, struggles to spread pace wise and kicking is below average

massive heart so wont die wondering.......

we need to build our list so there is more pressure on the likes of him, magner etc

All you pessimists shut up pretty quickly when Nathan Jones found his true form. No doubt you'll do the same when Jordie does too. The coaches LOVE him. He'll play 22 games this year, and next year, and the year after that. Jones' kicking three years ago bore no resemblance to the low bullets he delivers these days. Jordie will improve.

• Like 3

Good post. You can get better at it, but some are just naturals. The best handballer in the game today is Sam Mitchell. His handballs are bullet like. He's taken over from Simon Black, who would also be in the best 6 or 7 handballers I've ever seen.

I think we need to try players such as Viney, Jones or Sylvia tagging.

If either of them can tag a player then we should be sweet as they already naturally have the attacking flair to counter when needed. Sure Mckenzie is a good tag but I think that it would be easier to teach an attacking mid to tag rather then teach a tagger how to become an attacking mid.

I'm a fan of Mark Neeld and everything he has done since joining the Dees, but if he starts using Jones as a tagger then I will begin to seriously question his coaching abilities.

• Like 1

In his favour is that he's only 22 years old, he's a goer, and he should be able to improve his disposal (probably more so his handballing skills) Every team needs a tagger or 2 and there are no other 'likely' candidates on our list. I read somewhere that Allan Jeans had a philosophy that if you win the tackles, you win the game. A lot on our list can't tackle very well.

We shouldn't be at all concerned on whether he's going to 'good' player in a 'good' side yet. You need players to help you get there and we're miles off being a good side right now. If we improve, so might McKenzie. Apart from anything else, he's nowhere near our biggest issue. Right across the board, we need a truckload of improvement to be able to get into contention.

I'm not being an apologist for Jordie - he, like many others on our list, needs to get a lot better.

Cable on, Barassi off!!!

• Like 2

Cable on, Barassi off!!!

Good find there bush demon.

I also remember Geoff Raines using that long handball to good effect when he was being tackled. He would free his arms above his head and allow the tackler to tackle him around the waist/hips. Often the ball would come flying out of a pack situation with one of his teammates running on to it.

Players do it today but on many occasions they will handball the ball 'short' to a teammate (who may or may not be about to be tackled) . My pet hate is seeing players handpassing to another player who is obviously going to be tackled (immediately). The attitude comes across as "You have it, I'm in trouble".

Our players need to be far more creative with handball when they are under extreme pressure. Might seem a big ask but we are talking about the elite competition here. I see it as a bit of a pre-requisite. They should be practising drills at training which will help in this area.

The Hawks are probably the best at the 20 metre kick to a teammate. They do it all over the ground and it is hard to close down. They sometimes come unstuck against the best teams but as a general rule, it proves successful. Again, it's not such a difficult skill to learn.(unless your general kicking skills are poor to begin with)

McKenzie can learn to put his fist into a handpass to create a better opportunity for a teammate. Not so sure on the 20 metre kick to a teammate. He should be working really hard on his disposal skills.

Clearly a ripping bloke. But repeated turnovers are soul destroying for a side. Hopefully he can improve that part of his game. Otherwise I agree with the majority that a tagger with poor skills is a relic of a bygone era.

On that same topic, my favourite coach was Swooper Northey. He got the most out of the playing group. But football's way more sophisticated these days. The days of ranting and raving are pretty much over. (Alan Killigrew RIP). It's about developing plans and systems. Not so many one on ones these days. It's more about excellent skills and keeping possession which is why turnovers are murder.

I'm a fan of Mark Neeld and everything he has done since joining the Dees, but if he starts using Jones as a tagger then I will begin to seriously question his coaching abilities.

Every player must tag when opponent has the ball. If he doesnt expect Jones to do this then I will question his coaching abilities.

My point being is that Jones can play both ways, Mckenzie cannot.

I find it difficult to vote

The options IMO only allow for two positives and one outright negative.

I would have voted for

"Unfortunately still the better of an ordinary lot of mid fielders "

• Like 2

I find it difficult to vote

The options IMO only allow for two positives and one outright negative.

I would have voted for

"Unfortunately still the better of an ordinary lot of mid fielders "

It's like living in an alternate reality:

"WE CAN'T PLAY THIS PERSON BECAUSE KICKING!! OR THE HANDBALLING WITH THE TURNOVERS AND SUCH!!"

Who do you replace them with?

*crickets*

OR

"UNTRIED KID WHO HAS SUSPECT SKILLS!! HE WILL SAVE US!! WHY ISN'T HE SAVING US?! OFF WITH HIS HEAD! BRING IN ANOTHER KID WITH TINY ARMS - HE HAS TOUGHNESS!"

It's like living in an alternate reality:

"WE CAN'T PLAY THIS PERSON BECAUSE KICKING!! OR THE HANDBALLING WITH THE TURNOVERS AND SUCH!!"

Who do you replace them with?

*crickets*

OR

"UNTRIED KID WHO HAS SUSPECT SKILLS!! HE WILL SAVE US!! WHY ISN'T HE SAVING US?! OFF WITH HIS HEAD! BRING IN ANOTHER KID WITH TINY ARMS - HE HAS TOUGHNESS!"

It is a bit like voting in the coming election rpfc

I want an alternative, dislike both intensely!

Can I vote for an administrator for the next three years please?

Have had one in my local council for the last 8 years and works far better than the councillors ever did.

• Like 2

It is a bit like voting in the coming election rpfc

I want an alternative, dislike both intensely!

Can I vote for an administrator for the next three years please?

Have had one in my local council for the last 8 years and works far better than the councillors ever did.

Democracy, OD, it just doesn't work.

I hear Venezuela's looking for one as well...

I might run in the next election GTG

"The benevolent dictator Party"

My opening agreement will be to retire in 2016.

Then again-----

RP,

I would be inclined to start one of our mature recruits ahead of Jordie against Port in round 1 if his form doesn't significantly improve in next weeks hitout. Wouldn't you?

Yes he is in the leadership group and his prep and attitude are of the highest standard, (which is why he got a gig in the LG), But how about Matt Jones for one?

As everyone knows we are still a developing side and by no means do we have a solid 22 that can be reliable. Jordie's decision making and kicking can be atrocious.

There are plenty of options if we were to leave Jordie out of the best 22.

Edited by stevethemanjordan