Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jordie McKenzie

olisik

Jordie Mckenzie  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If McKenzie is coached properly he can win clearances on good opponents. This thread is largely because of a couple of bad kicks during last weeks games, which aren't actually a bad thing. If Jordie is racking up touches it probably means he's fit and finding the ball. Even as the games progresses last week he learnt his lesson and fired off a nice handball or 2.

I cannot agree with you Last week was typical of the last two years.

he has been a poor kick since day one.

He has two good traits

- he is a a good scragger

- he gets the ball

But he undoes all that good work with atrocious kicking

There would struggle to be a game where he does not miss kick the ball and not just miss his team mate but hits the opposition.

IMO he will be around the next couple of years as hopefully we develop.

If he is still in our best 22 in 2015 god help us.

• Like 1

Easily best 22 this year. He is 22 years old and 50 games under his belt. His best is yet to come.

Posters who say we are playing with a man down in the midfield have no idea what they are talking about. Disposal by foot is not great and I get frustrated with the amount of pplayers who can't kick but Jordie is a keeper.

• Like 2

Easily best 22 this year. He is 22 years old and 50 games under his belt. His best is yet to come.

Posters who say we are playing with a man down in the midfield have no idea what they are talking about. Disposal by foot is not great and I get frustrated with the amount of pplayers who can't kick but Jordie is a keeper.

Name a finals team from last year that carried a core midfielder who couldn't kick the footy.

This isn't just based on last week. He's always been a liability in attack. We can't pretend it won't become a greater issue as we develop further.

• Like 1

Name a finals team from last year that carried a core midfielder who couldn't kick the footy.

This isn't just based on last week. He's always been a liability in attack. We can't pretend it won't become a greater issue as we develop further.

You have me P_Man

You're answering your own queries.

We are nowhere near a finals team, until this phantom player develops that pushes him out of the team - Jordie is there.

We are nowhere near a finals team, until this phantom player develops that pushes him out of the team - Jordie is there.

That is what worries me rpfc

I said basically exactly that earlier in the thread.

I can't off the top of my head, but was overseas last year and didn't watch many non melbourne games towards the later half of the year.

And im not going to bother trying to dig up information.

I know that he use to handball a hell of a lot more under Bailey and that Neeld is forcing him to kick more and is working on his kicking, so I expect improvement in the future.

And I would never chave called him aliability at anytime in his career.

In truth he is our 2nd best mid behind Jones. Sad to say.

This is exactually the same as when posters wouldn't include Bartram in their best 22. Even though both Bailey and Neeld would both choose him first. Posters will completley overlook all the good that he did and focus on the one negative.

For me Jordie is a keeper. Im more arguing with Obilisk who states that he would prefer Kent (no games), Couch (Vfl), Evans(Vfl), Taggart(No games) , Magner (Vfl), Kent(No games) who he thinks will contribute more

He is the best tagger we have so he stays in the team. Also haven't seen much mention of his tackling. Clearly leads our team in tackling, putting that pressure on so the other mids can get the ball. He's disposal needs work but I think he does enough and works hard enough to warrant a spot.

• Like 2

While we are a bottom 3 side, McKenzie will be around.

We need his type, even though he cannot kick to save himself and come to think of it, he cannot handball either.

But he has determination and heart, which we lacked from 2008-2012.

The fact McKenzie gets a gig probably reflects how poor our list has been, more so than how good McKenzie is.

I guess at least he tries hard and gives his all, it's more than I can say for a lot of our players.

I am probably sitting on the fence and not too fazed whether he is in the side or not, as we have far bigger issues than whether Jordie McKenzie is in the side.

His strengths are his tackling and handballs in close. Lets not forget his effort on Goddard last year. I just don't want him to kick. If he can handball to Toumpas, Evans, kent & Barry (later on) - he stays - for now!

He could, of course, improve his kicking and decision making and learn to live within his means so to speak.

In which case, he will be here for a while.

I don't know whether he could do it, but I didn't think Jones could become what he has become and the thing they both have in common is their work ethic and desire.

Let's see how he goes this season.

• Like 3

His kicking was terrible last week, but I am still a big fan of his. It wasn't that long ago that people were saying that Jonesy's disposal was terrible and that he was a liability, now he is our best midfielder and one of a very few that would be a walk up start in just about every team.

I'm not saying Jordie will get to that level, but he wins his own ball and has shown great ability in nullifying some of the competitions best players. I think there is a place in the team for a very long time, and the fact he's been added to the leadership group tells me the coaching staff think the same way.

With Morton gone I reckon he and Joel Mac will become the club's whipping boys.

• Like 2

I think we all know his strength is tackling and his weakness is disposal efficiency .

lets give him a chance to show some improvement in 2013 .

He is the type of hard worker that is likely to improve himself .

• Like 1

I have seen many ridiculous posts and threads on this board, but this one has to nearly take the title of the worst ever, it is about a guy who started as a rookie and has worked his way into the Leadership group, agree his kicking isn't the greatest in the world, but the Footy Dept and coaches must see something, hence his Coaches award for last couple of years, at least some of the posts in his defence point out what he brings to the team...I wondered who was going to take Morton's and Watts' place on the hate list but McKenzie beggars belief

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 2

Than one of your rubbish threads?Yes.

Ahh so thats why your reading/writing in it.

Nice logic.

Simple solution would be not to click on it then read it then try to make a smartass comment. Some people need to find better things to do then spending their saturdays whinging about threads on DL.

Edited by olisik

Or whinging about young players on DL....

So whose whinged about young players on a saturday? I seen people voice opinion in Jordie Mckenzie in a Jordie Mckenzie thread if thats your definition of whinging?

We don't have another player (right now) who can tag at the level that McKenzie can. We need someone who can tag the best midfielder of the opposition clubs - especially against other teams of our standing and for those teams who are challenging for the 8. In other words, right now, we need a player who can tag Cotchin, Black, Hayes/Dal Santo, Ablett, Judd/Murphy, Harvey, Watson etc etc.

However, Neeld needs to figure out a way where we can utilise McKenzie's possessions. A quick 'dish off' handpass to a teammate would be the easiest solution. If the opposition are a wake up to this, then McKenzie's handpass could be the 1st in a quick series to ultimately release a good/very good distributor. He should only kick the ball as a last resort - unless his kicking and his kicking to position can improve dramatically.

We do have a number on our list who need to improve their decision making when kicking the ball. The execution of our kicking skills needs a dramatic improvement as well. So McKenzie is not on his own in that dept.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Not a final eight player

I'll reconsider when he starts kicking well and staying on his feet. In the meantime we have plenty of other mids who deserve at least a go. The clubs obsession with harder bodies irrespective of skill will go nowhere and could end up being Neeld's downfall.

Edited by Harrisonrules

Not a final eight player

I'll reconsider when he starts kicking well and staying on his feet. In the meantime we have plenty of other mids who deserve at least a go. The clubs obsession with harder bodies irrespective of skill will go nowhere and could end up being Neeld's downfall.

gee cause the obsession with softer bodies with skill worked out so well for us
  • Like 3

I think we need to try players such as Viney, Jones or Sylvia tagging.

If either of them can tag a player then we should be sweet as they already naturally have the attacking flair to counter when needed. Sure Mckenzie is a good tag but I think that it would be easier to teach an attacking mid to tag rather then teach a tagger how to become an attacking mid.

We don't have another player (right now) who can tag at the level that McKenzie can. We need someone who can tag the best midfielder of the opposition clubs - especially against other teams of our standing and for those teams who are challenging for the 8. In other words, right now, we need a player who can tag Cotchin, Black, Hayes/Dal Santo, Ablett, Judd/Murphy, Harvey, Watson etc etc.

However, Neeld needs to figure out a way where we can utilise McKenzie's possessions. A quick 'dish off' handpass to a teammate would be the easiest solution. If the opposition are a wake up to this, then McKenzie's handpass could be the 1st in a quick series to ultimately release a good/very good distributor. He should only kick the ball as a last resort - unless his kicking and his kicking to position can improve dramatically.

We do have a number on our list who need to improve their decision making when kicking the ball. The execution of our kicking skills needs a dramatic improvement as well. So McKenzie is not on his own in that dept.

Watching him last week I think this is where he got into some trouble 'Macca', he was looking for the quick give and when it was closed down he was rushed in his kick and the results weren't good. I think he has no confidence in his kick and the opposition know he is going to give off and are closing him down. He needs to take best option and use his kick when it is on or give off when it is on, at the moment he is very one dimensional and is looking to get out of taking responsibility for kicking the ball.

I know the coaches were on to him about kicking when it was there for him last year so lets see how it pans out but he needs to get better, that's an understatement.