Footy Classified Lifts the Lid on Carlton & Richmond's Tanking 2007

Whispering_Jack

Kennett made the point that clubs should be given similar treatment and if Carlton are not to be investigated, neither should Melbourne.

He also made a point that alluded to all positions be spilled at the club so 'we can start again'...

Just what we need don't you think?

More bloodletting and jockeying for power...

Frankly, we have bigger things to worry about than tanking but I wouldn't mind our fine being quashed and CC and DB cleared. But that decision would take an AFL aware of its own failures and limitations. But we don't have that.

Llyod is an idiot on most issues and is confused. Hutchy made the point, that Lloyd rejected, that tanking is simply a part of sport when chasing success. Lloyd said that Sydney and Geelong haven't bottomed out and they are successful and had no answer to Collingwood getting quite a bit out of Thomas and Pendlebury...

This is just FC and it will lead nowhere so I suggest we just get on with the footy tonight.
  • Like 1

This is just FC and it will lead nowhere so I suggest we just get on with the footy tonight.

As I stated earlier, the Libba, Fev and Wallace mentions last night have not been mentioned or headlined anywhere in papers/media.

Going nowhere unless someone walks into the "Whistleblowing unit" with hard, fresh evidence.

... what, you think one sided journalism has its place to stay in front of our senses?

IMO it should be cut out like an Alien from the movie.

JohnDouglas_Valentine_Face-Hugger_02.jpg

Sometimes, the stupidest person in the room can make your point for you. If teamed up with someone who is able to debunk what they are saying, you can take away all their credibility for a long time whilst reinforcing your own argument. Kennett may be good in this sense as not only could he point out some of Caro's weaker arguments but he could explain via experience why they are weak arguments and not be interrupted by her. That being said, there might be a lot of stuff he and she might agree on!

Let's be honest about Caro. She hasn't covered herself in glory during this whole fiasco (and her pointless pursuit of James Brayshaw) but there have been times where she has done some good work as I have pointed out before. I will be interested to see how she behaves in the future. I get the feeling she may have been burnt by some of her 'sources' at AFL House. She went in way too hard, way too early and just came across as shrill as opposed to principled. For her own ego and to keep her sources on side, she kept towing the AFL line. In the future, I hope she doesn't jump the gun so earnestly next time.

In the next year (now is too soon), the AFL needs to get together and start nutting out some rules on 'list management'. I tend to agree with Kennett on any further investigations. The Melbourne side of me would feel a little cheated if other clubs weren't investigated. The pragmatic side of me says that you will be opening up a huge Pandora's box of retrospective claims that will drag out for years. A mea culpa from the AFL followed up with a tighter regime concerning integrity would help a lot in redressing some of the problems the league is now facing.

Edited by Guest

Kennett made the point that clubs should be given similar treatment and if Carlton are not to be investigated, neither should Melbourne.

He also made a point that alluded to all positions be spilled at the club so 'we can start again'...

Just what we need don't you think?

More bloodletting and jockeying for power...

I also think Kennett's comparison of the two Melbourne teams (Storm and Demons) was ill founded and was comparing apples and oranges. The Storm had a successful culture in place that was damaged by the salary cap rorts. However, the culture was strong enough for the team to come back and thrive. The cap rorts didn't change the mindset of what was going on on the paddock. They were all there to win. It's what the admin was doing that tainted it all.

The Dees culture was and has been shot for a very long time. The players were expected to buy into the scheme of win to lose and it clearly effected their psyche that year and well into the future.

Secondly, by the time this had all come to light, Chris Connolly had already been moved into marketing and Bailey had been moved on. The third party whose name was bandied about but yet no evidence had stuck to, Cameron Schwab, had been neutered as a force in the football department and had been told to concentrate on admin. Besides Schwab retaining his role and it need be re-emphasized he was cleared of any wrong doing, it seems that the people who were touted as being behind this farce were actually 'punished', however you wish to define that, before this all was settled. Brian Waldron had moved away from the Storm of his own accord, found a similar position with the Melbourne Rebels and had gotten off scot free. He hadn't been demoted or 'punished' at all until the scandal came to light.

Edited by Guest

Yes, and by Kennetts own admission - salary cap breaching is far worse as it is a direct breach of a statute (mentioned when talking about the Crows).

He tangles himself in knots when trying to to tie all these issues together and make comparisons.

Maybe we could convince Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond and West Coast to each kick in $100,000 to pay our fine in return for none of them being investigated. They wear a small amount each of financial pain rather than the possibility of something more substantial while we wear the ignominy of being called "tankers". (Note, I'm not re-opening the question of whether we tanked or not. I'm just stating that that is what we will be called).

As I stated earlier, the Libba, Fev and Wallace mentions last night have not been mentioned or headlined anywhere in papers/media.

Going nowhere unless someone walks into the "Whistleblowing unit" with hard, fresh evidence.

Funny my comment about just this has not been approved under Jeff's article in the fage.

Maybe we could convince Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond and West Coast to each kick in $100,000 to pay our fine in return for none of them being investigated. They wear a small amount each of financial pain rather than the possibility of something more substantial while we wear the ignominy of being called "tankers". (Note, I'm not re-opening the question of whether we tanked or not. I'm just stating that that is what we will be called).

Na, i'd rather see them squirm

It's particularly telling that Libba says Carlton officials were joking about tanking in match committee meetings - that is supposedly the pre-planning that dropped us in it.

I had not seen that interview until FC screened it and I must agree with Jeff Kennett for the first time in my life - Libba's comments were many times stronger than what Brock gave OTC.

It merely confirms what we knew - but I was surprised also to see Terry Wallet's comments as a back page lead in the Sun. How they were not followed up is a mystery.

That there was not one journo who pursued this story down this other alleys over the past seven months is an indictment of the profession.

Edited by pitmaster
  • Like 2

Great episode, for all of those that missed it, I manged to find it on Youtube;

By what measure is this not prima facie evidence that Carlton and Richmond acted to prejudice the interests of the AFL?

If Demetriou is not prepared to institute an investigation then he and the commissioners should resign forthwith. Fitzpatrick is conflicted on this one anyway.

• Like 3

I may re-subscribe to The Age because Ms Wilson, being a true professional journalist, of course will go for the Toiges hammer and tongs........won't she?

Had Dumbitriou has anything to say on these latest revelations yet?

• Like 1

Funny my comment about just this has not been approved under Jeff's article in the fage.

Media silence is deafening isn't it?

It's not just me, you guys realise too. I find it astounding. Or maybe I'm just a late night owl and the rest are in bed before 9pm.

Not one paper, I haven't heard it mentioned on radio - only Kennett's comments on Demetriou. No callers.

• Like 1

It's not just me, you guys realise too. I find it astounding. Or maybe I'm just a late night owl and the rest are in bed before 9pm.

Not one paper, I haven't heard it mentioned on radio - only Kennett's comments on Demetriou. No callers.

There is an article in the Age about culture, by Jeff Kennett. Something about don't bring your pets into China shops.