The new and improved Mark Neeld

Barney Rubble

I see the Port game as the most important game of the season which many will dismiss as they have already counted it.

And if we do win it, it will seem that I worried over not much.

But it will be the first win in round one for many years.

It will show me we have turned a corner.

It will show if Neeld has played players to give them a run or picked the team most likely to win. Hard to judge if we win.

I am curious that not too many feel the same nervousness. But boy I hate being favorites for this match($1.65)

I'm bloody nervous about round 1, and reckon Port might roll us. They were far too good for us last year in Darwin and in a pre season game earlier.

The result will answer a lot of 2013's questions, and its one of our 7 winnable games.

Mark Neeld must be feeling warm and fuzzy with all the unconditional support on display here......if anyone thinks they can do a better job, can you let the rest of know when you will be applying for a senior coaching role.............

I WANT HIM TO SUCCEED. I WANTED BAILEY TO SUCCEED. I WANTED DANIHER TO SUCCEED.

He is not my wife or my kids - he will never get unconditional support. Ever. He earns my support. Like the players do. Respect, support, regard is earned. Maybe a uniform is enough for you to give it up; I like to think that higher standards are in order.

• Like 1

What you're really saying is that you have no football related opinions, because you've never played, or coached and don't want to hear others'.

Glad we cleared that up.

Always helpful to have Ben-Hur clear up for us what we meant to say and why we're stupid

I remember reading somewhere about the nerve injury issue that Neeld has on the right side of his face (which was operated on while he was employed at the Pies) The outcome was that it will gradually become less of an involuntary occurrence over a number of years. Those photos above will hopefully be a thing of the past for him. Can't remember where I read it, sorry.

Just out of curiosity, did Dean get your blood pumping?

Yes in the first two years.

Said all the things that perhaps I wanted to hear.

Not putting myself up as an expert McQueen Just the way someone affects me.

Edited by old dee

I remember reading somewhere about the nerve injury issue that Neeld has on the right side of his face (which was operated on while he was employed at the Pies) The outcome was that it will gradually become less of an involuntary occurrence over a number of years. Those photos above will hopefully be a thing of the past for him. Can't remember where I read it, sorry.

Didn't he recently have an operation to correct it? Or did I imagine this?

I really like what Neeld is doing. Looking at the players during the intraclub, we have body size right across the ground so we shouldn't be pushed off the ball. But we still have to see whether Blease, Strauss, Tapscott, jordie, Nicho etc.. can mature into 70+ game players who are consistent, winning footballers. Neeld has a definite plan: he knows the game plan he wants us to play, he knows the attitude to training and playing he wants to see, he has shown great guts in turning over 15 players (some who thought they were the next wave of Melbourne success), he has the guts to place young captains at the head because he knows they are the best leaders at the club, he knows the coaching staff he wants and has drawn them in.

Now we want to see if he can game-day coach. All the other elements are coming together (the list still has some tweaking if we want 3 - 5 A grade elite footballers). I will be looking very close to his coaching during NAB cup.

Ball movement

Player positioning at stoppages

Responding to 3 goals in a row from opposition

The one-on-one talks with players at 1/4 time and 3/4 time.

Player confidence (I can't stand Malthouse but my goodness do his players play with confidence)

The last coach who had me completely was Northey. Daniher had me at times but the up-and-down win/loss thing had my head in a spin. I can't become a Neeld "fan" until I see the players playing for him, and them playing footy that wins finals.

For mine 2013 is another building-blocks year, and 2014 will see a very different team under Neeld. Here's hoping!!

• Like 5

I will be looking very close to his coaching during NAB cup.

Well, me too, but don't know how much we're going to learn if we what we see is basically a Casey side, with a few first-teamers thrown in. We have a LOT of available rookies, first-year players etc. - we're even going to play a 17 year old who isn't any of those - and things are bound to get a bit hit and miss at times.

Hopefully we'll know more come selection tomorrow night (I believe).

Had faith since the start.

He is the one.

Mark my words and quote them back to me when we win the Premiership.

For i know he is the one to do it.

Mark my words.

Have faith and enjoy the ride because the glory in the end will be all worth it.

He is the one.

You left of Amen and Hallelujah.

It is a sobering post that will get ignored.

Let's all be clear that there is no evidence that Neeld can coach at this level. Last year we were so poor it was pitiful. I would hope for some improvement on that year and improvement is inevitable. However, Neeld needs to produce results over the next two years that are a damn sight better than Bailey produced when 'positioning the club'. I am full of hope...but I've felt that before. I remembering hearing from Bailey about a new fitness regime that would build the players from the ground up...

Nothing will count other than wins. Neeld has two years IMO to get a fair few. Everything I see and read tells me he'll do it. I've had that before too.

Where do you think we'd be if Bailey had continued in 2012? Do you think we would be on the way up and possibly challenging for the finals this year or even last.

Do you think 186 was an aberration or symptomatic of him losing the players and unable to control what they did? Do you think Bailey, and this is the most important question, had assembled a good playing group? If he hadn't whose fault was it?