The Club's Intentions II

Hells Gates

Hi All.

Sorry I haven't been around much in the last few months - busy with work and buying a house and moving etc. still in Darwin.

I hope everyone had a good Xmas and New Year's and killed enough brain cells to forget the Demons of Old!!! :lol:

Last year there were a few topics and issues brought up and questions raised about the club so I thought of no better way than for me to ask those questions to the club and give the feedback right here on Demonland. Answers are from Board members high up over dinner with a notepad! I hope I've asked the questions correctly.

The questions in bold, response below, I tried to jot down every word so see how it goes.

How long do the Dees intend on playing up here in Darwin?

We are committed to playing for the next 2 years (2013 and 2014) under the current AFL NT government agreement. We hope to position ourselves as part of the new agreement in 2015 to ensure that we play two games per year in Darwin each year.

How many Darwin/NT members do we have at the club in 2012?

We had 160 members in NT in 2012, a number that we are hoping will grow.

Is the club actively looking at building a strong membership here?

We believe that the Territorians are very footy literate. They love their AFL and we need them to love the first AFL club. So we will be trying to build membership but understand that many NT residents already have teams. We hope that if we are up there enough they will come to see us as their local AFL club.

Why hasn't the club made more of an effort to contact members whilst the Dees are up here? A few phone calls around could have had a lot of support for them at training, the closed sessions are a bit disappointing too, especially at late notice. Not all people have access to twitter & the website.

We understand that it can be hard if you are not plugged into social media for the late changes. Some of the changes occurred due to ground availability and the timing of the NT season I think only the last training session at the Army Barracks was closed otherwise, the others were open. When we play in July, there will be a civic reception where all MFC members are invited (via email).

Will the club look at chartering a plane from Melbourne for supporters for our home games and offer cheaper packages?

Probably not, but we work with Travelworld in Melbourne to do specific packages for the game and we advertise these on our website. We also are working with NT Tourism on some exciting ideas for 2013 and beyond.

Is the club looking at major sponsorship up here?

Yes, we have had some serious conversations with a number of potential sponsors.

Also, in response to the US Marines we had 220 of them come to last years game and expect more at our Round 17 game against Brisbane in July. We also have aligned our new cheer squad as the Demon Army and hope they will be part of it.

Also on Darwin, I would like to bring up about the day in which we play our games up here. Normally, always on a Saturday night which is usually a good idea. Last year I think the crowd was 6700 roughly. I truly believe we would have had a better crowd had the game been on a Friday night. My reasons being its right in the middle of the Darwin spring racing carnival which is a very popular event up here, there would have been quite a few people who wouldn't have made an effort after a big day at the races. Also fishing and camping is an extremely popular past time up here with the majority of people doing it at this time of year due to the cooler weather, most people like myself would leave to go fishing/camping early Saturday morning, but if the game was on a Friday night I'm sure a lot of these people would turn up also. Id like to hear some feedback on this, maybe we could change it? (My Question)

We are also aware of the issues of the timing and how busy Darwin is during the Dry as is AFLNT and the government. The fixture is the domain of the AFL but we would like to have it during NT school term Friday nights might be hard but we will take on board your insights when we put forward our requests to the AFL.

My next question is about a Dees social club/bar: Is the club active about trying to find/buy/build one close to the MCG as we desperately need somewhere to go and even the players to come to which is close to our home ground. Preferably not Docklands as its too far away.

We have 2 clubs Leighoak and Bentleigh Club and as far as I know we are not seeking any further pubs / clubs. We also have social areas for different types of members within the ground on a match day and have held some functions at AAMI Park after matches. But no, we arent looking at establishing anymore.

There used to be a bar next to the Hilton is that still an option? Or near the Tigers' clubrooms?

That has been sold.

Membership: How many supporters do you estimate weve got out there as a whole?

Approximately 157,000 - 160,000

What other areas are the club actively trying to grow and seek members?

City of Casey, Australia's second largest growth corridor which has twice the population of NT . Also looking at migrant communities, who are new to Australia and new to football.

How much of a crowd does it take to make a profit or break even when we hire the MCG Someone has told me about 30,000 - 35,000?

It really depends on the mix of members but it can be anywhere between 27,000 and 30,000.

Will there be opportunities to meet the players and go into the change rooms and after match functions next year?

We always hold open training sessions prior to our game in Darwin and also the government reception is generally open to members as well- these are the best opportunities to meet players when were up there for the game.

Anyway all the best guys/girls.

Have a nice day, not long until the footy starts!

Cheers,

HG.

• Like 9

Approximately 157,000 - 160,000 supporters makes us one of the least supported clubs in the competition. That is our main danger as I see it going forward.

Initiatives like the work being done in Casey will help but, as Captain Obvious would say, what we really need is sustained success on the field.

• Like 3

Approximately 157,000 - 160,000 supporters makes us one of the least supported clubs in the competition. That is our main danger as I see it going forward.

Initiatives like the work being done in Casey will help but, as Captain Obvious would say, what we really need is sustained success on the field.

Couldn't agree more mate.

You would have to think with us having around 170,000 followers that at least 100,000 of them would have been members at one stage, hope fully Casey works out, but thats an extremley low number. we need to tap into the Moari population in Casey, they all love there footy, i have seen a few kids walking home from Cranbourne West primary with there Demon scarves on, theres 1200 migrant kids go that school alone, there the type of schools were they need to do the footy clinics.

That is an alarming figure especially since it is probably weighted towards the older generations.

Guest José Mourinho

160 members in Darwin...woohoo.

What happened to the China initiative.

This club thinks small and will remain so.

FCS. How many tassie members do you reckon Hawthorn had when they started playing matches there?

Their foothold on Launceston has been built over many years.

We need to establish a link to the area, which we are still doing.

Then we also need to simultaneously start winning, more and more, so more people want to come watch us.

Then we introduce "Darwin memberships" in the same vein as the Hawks have done. Very clever concept that one, and we should copy it.

Boost numbers, becomes more acceptable and appealing to get on board, snowball effect,

"The clubs thinks small"... FCS.

I'd say it's moreso some of our supporters.

I'm looking at you WYL.

And don't assume there aren't other initiatives in the works that you know nothing about.

FCS. How many tassie members do you reckon Hawthorn had when they started playing matches there?

Then we also need to simultaneously start winning, more and more, so more people want to come watch us.

Then we introduce "Darwin memberships" in the same vein as the Hawks have done. Very clever concept that one, and we should copy it.

Boost numbers, becomes more acceptable and appealing to get on board, snowball effect,

I'm looking at you WYL.

And don't assume there aren't other initiatives in the works that you know nothing about.

160 members in 3 years or is it 4??

Lift ya horizons Jose please...

You would think they would be looking for sponsorship in NT before members, but 160 doesnt fill you with confidence.

I'm looking at you WYL.

Hawks had a fair few Tasmanians in there sides over the years, I think they had a good supporter base down there before they started playing down there

Lifting membership takes a lot of time and work in the Darwin and Casey areas....The club is doing a lot of good work in these areas (Clinics and training forums)......And this is in Australia where footy is well known.......China is another country where they know nothing of the game and I would think,have little interest....The club is having success in the Casey area but it takes time,money and effort and we are achiving this....

You would think they would be looking for sponsorship in NT before members, but 160 doesnt fill you with confidence.

look i am all for new new openings and i backed the move to Darwin, but we should have got 160 members at the first game.

To be at that level now after 3-4 seasons is a very bad look.

Another Question for the AGM.

Guest José Mourinho

Over that time we've "shared" games in Darwin and been auditioning to the NT govt for a Hawthorn-Tassie type relationship.

I believe the last few years, culminating in our preseason camp, have seen us win that battle against Port, Richmond and the Bulldogs.

Don't be disingenuous and act like we've had sole access to that area.

This is a LONG TERM strategy and its implementation is also LONG TERM.

You don't just turn up for a couple of years and it's yours.

There is a lot more work to be done.

All you've done with your posts is show how shallow an understanding you have of the situation.

P.s. You think Chinese will line up to pay money to be members of a club in a novelty sport they barely understand..?

Think about the efforts the AFL is going to itself in trying to educate foreign nations of our game, and the minimal progress they have made to date.

With the financial clout they have. You think MFC would make any sort of impression?

Even a recently very successful club like Geelong or Collingwood would not be so foolish.

look i am all for new new openings and i backed the move to Darwin, but we should have got 160 members at the first game.

To be at that level now after 3-4 seasons is a very bad look.

Another Question for the AGM.

Maybe you could go out to western China for say 10 years or so - where we can't reach with the internet and social media and drum up membership in person.

• Like 3

Guest José Mourinho

Hawks had a fair few Tasmanians in there sides over the years, I think they had a good supporter base down there before they started playing down there

Well there you go.

They had EXISTING supporters in Tassie that were converted to members, and WYL is trying to compare that to MFC who doesn't have the same.

How can it be somehow a failure to not sign up people who weren't already supporters?

What type of membership packages are available in Darwin and are they worth it. 160 members seems very low. Can anyone tell me roughly how much coin we make out of Darwin?

Guest José Mourinho

What type of membership packages are available in Darwin and are they worth it. 160 members seems very low. Can anyone tell me roughly how much coin we make out of Darwin?

The last time I remember hearing a figure, I think we were getting something like $700K per home match from the NT govt.

• Like 1

Over that time we've "shared" games in Darwin and been auditioning to the NT govt for a Hawthorn-Tassie type relationship.

I believe the last few years, culminating in our preseason camp, have seen us win that battle against Port, Richmond and the Bulldogs.

All you've done with your posts is show how shallow an understanding you have of the situation.

P.s. You think Chinese will line up to pay money to be members of a club in a novelty sport they barely understand..?

Think about the efforts the AFL is going to itself in trying to educate foreign nations of our game, and the minimal progress they have made to date.

With the financial clout they have. You think MFC would make any sort of impression?

Even a recently very successful club like Geelong or Collingwood would not be so foolish.

I agree with you Jose re Darwin

From little things big things grow

The Chinese are a market that can also be groomed. As I said in sponsorship thread The AGe article reconised a market which is parents coming out here to visit kids studying. The kids want to embrace Australian culture?? you cant get better representation of Aussie culture than footy at the G get em dressed in red and blue before they head back to shanghai, have em hungry to watch the game on Tv in Shanghai and relive their meories of the G. Its gotta staart somewhere

Jose i am not disagreeing with what you say above.

But 160 members in 4 years is not good, that is what should be signed up in one game at a VFL level.

We are dealing with other clubs who have 50-75,000 members.

The strategy is not working is my point.

That is a cold hard fact if the membership figure is correct.

Guest José Mourinho

Jose i am not disagreeing with what you say above.

But 160 members in 4 years is not good, that is what should be signed up in one game at a VFL level.

We are dealing with other clubs who have 50-75,000 members.

The strategy is not working is my point.

That is a cold hard fact if the membership figure is correct.

Then you simply don't understand the strategy, how long it will take, or you expectations are completely unrealistic..

Is the strategy really to grow members up there or just to take the cash from the NT government? Don't get me wrong I'm happy to take the cash but to grow a membership base up there seems to be very difficult. Plus our on field performance doesn't help at all.

Then you simply don't understand the strategy, how long it will take, or you expectations are completely unrealistic..

yes that is possible, but it could also be said that the marketing strategy is not bold enough.

Do you think 40+- members a year is acceptable?

I like to expect more than that.

The days of throwing coins into a blanket at 3/4 time are a distant memory...

H

Membership: How many supporters do you estimate weve got out there as a whole?

Approximately 157,000 - 160,000

HG.

In 2006 a Roy Morgan AFL supporters research indicated we had 248,000.

I've always thought that we're one club that really does get supporters out of the woodwork when we start having success. More so than other clubs. I appreciate that it's an older base, which needs replenishing.

http://www.roymorgan.com/news/press-releases/2006/473/