MegaWatts - Season 5

Curry & Beer

Just means it is over due Rob Mac

Watts to win the brownlow in 2015 as a CHB.

Breaks a 30 year record!

Old Dee: Ha, trust you to come up with it. I've been a Dee since 1954 but couldn't think of ANYONE who'd ever won a Brownlow from the half back line! Do you remember whether Glendinning actually GOT his '83 Brownlow votes from CHB or was he at CHF or elsewhere some of 1983?

Old Dee: Ha, trust you to come up with it. I've been a Dee since 1954 but couldn't think of ANYONE who'd ever won a Brownlow from the half back line! Do you remember whether Glendinning actually GOT his '83 Brownlow votes from CHB or was he at CHF or elsewhere some of 1983?

Not sure about Glendinning but I am confident Knights from Hawthorn won one from there.

My mistake Knights never won a Brownlow.

So perhaps Glendinning in 1983 however I think he was playing as a forward then.

So god knows when a backman won it.

Never mind watts will.

Edited by old dee

John James of Carlton won the brownlow in 1961 as a half-back flanker

Well done durango! I read he was Carltons team of the century HBF, but do you actually know he won his '61 Brownlow votes from the HBF? He played other positions in his career.

I'm getting curious whether ANYONE ever got enough votes while playing on the half back line to EVER win a Brownlow? Maybe James, do you know for sure?

Read the Carlton Hall of fame write up:-

John James

john%20james-small.jpg

Playing Career : 1953 - 1963

Debut : Round 1, 1953 vs Footscray, Aged 19 years, 90 days

Carlton Player No. 664

Games : 195

Goals : 31

Last Game : Round 18, 1963 vs Footscray, Aged 29 years, 231 days

Guernsey No. 10

Height : 175 cm (5 ft. 9 in.)

Weight : 80.75 kgs (12 stone, 10 lbs.)

DOB : January 18, 1934

Best and Fairest: 1955, 1960, 1961

Brownlow Medallists: 1961

Team of the Century

Carlton Hall of Fame (1987)

One of the games' great defenders, "Johnny" James was a Carlton legend. Though just 175 cm tall, he was highly skilled, tenacious and a spectacularly strong mark. In 195 games over eleven seasons (1953 to '63) he won Carlton's Best & Fairest three times (1955, 1960 & 1961) as well as the 1961 Brownlow Medal.

Not sure about Glendinning but I am confident Knights from Hawthorn won one from there.

My mistake Knights never won a Brownlow.

So perhaps Glendinning in 1983 however I think he was playing as a forward then.

So god knows when a backman won it.

Never mind watts will.

I sure hope so. What an achievement! Way over and above what should be expected from any #1 draft pick!

One other point to make about Jack Watts is that as a forward he would often run to position only to see the ball so poorly delivered it didn't get to where he was. And many other times he was ignored (or possibly not seen). When Robert Flower played for the Victorian State team he dominated because all of a sudden he had great players around him and the ball got to him properly. When our team improves, so will Jack Watts; and when Jack Watts improves, so will our team.

• Like 2

Kevin Murray played as a Ruck-Rover that season

Good get durango. Famous half backs are usually playing somewhere else when they actually poll votes.

John James seems most likely, but after reading the links from your post I'm not 100% sure, without someone remembering or something written. They said James kicked 8 goals 43 behinds as a forward in 1953 his debut year, and was thereafter banished to defense; but he kicked 31 career goals back when defenders very rarely scored, so may have played forward a bit at some later time. ?

Thanks for the info PaulRB, Bluey, durango, OD & all. I remember the lack of delivery to Watts that Comedia mentioned & agree 100% with C&Beer.

If Watts comes close to a Brownlow from half back I'm prepared to jump round the room jubilantly singing I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy, but will be happy with a solid season + some real standout games.

Edited by Rob Mac......
  • Like 1

Watts will be star, of that i'm certain. As i have said before by his mid 20's (another 4 years away!) he will be a regular AA selection and considered to be one of the top 10 players in the league by most pundits and footy fans. Mark my words.

He's on the wrong trajectory for that in my eyes, but I hope you're right.

• Like 1

Well done durango! I read he was Carltons team of the century HBF, but do you actually know he won his '61 Brownlow votes from the HBF? He played other positions in his career.

I'm getting curious whether ANYONE ever got enough votes while playing on the half back line to EVER win a Brownlow? Maybe James, do you know for sure?

To my recollection Johnnie James played Back Pocket that year

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.