The Jackson Macrae Thread

Hannibal

Jackson MacRae (Oakleigh Chargers)

Ht: 188cm. Wt: 75kg. Position: midfield/forward.

Smart left footer who can play midfield and forward. Has a knack of kicking goals.

GTXZW.jpg

Macrae is a 188cm wingman/half back flanker for Oakleigh charges that will come into consideration at Melbourne's pick 13. He's an accumulator of the footy and a goal kicker. In the recent championships he kicked 6 against Tasmania for Vic Metro. He's played 11 times for Oakleigh this year and been in the best on 6 occasions, including two BOG's and kicked 14 goals. He was named best last Saturday in their win against Nth Ballarat Rebels, which put them into the TAC Grand Final.

He joins Kennedy, Stringer, Menzel, Wines, and Garlett as potential picks at 13. They won't all be gone, so I hope we keep 13 as there will be a good play on offer at that pick and Macrae will definitely be considered. Tall, smart, outside left footer who kicks goals. He's a type we don't have.

6RwB4.jpg

I would like to get Kennedy early and macrae at 13. I'm also a fan of nick Graham. Not sure where he is ranked though. IMO Kennedy is much better than people give him credit for. His height is the only issue but some of the really good players are his height.(Kerr, Harvey, jack). He kicks goals too.

I really like Kennedy too and will be interested to see where ho goes.

I also really like Hrovat. His height also deters people, but I reckon he'll become a very good midfielder. He may be considered too similar to Viney.

• Like 1

Macrae has been BOG in both of Oakleigh's TAC Cup final wins to date and he gets a good write up in this article on Land -

Preliminary

I like the fact that he's a left footer and has excellent disposal. Although he's been consistent all year (played well in the U18 champs) he's really come to notice at the end of the season.

Also, goes to school with the son of the head of our recruiting dept.

I'm hoping Neeld and co are wanting players who can use the ball as much as I am wanting them. (This guy seems like one)

We need an injection of highly skilled users via trades/FA and the draft. I can't think of a side that turns the ball over more often than us. Makes me want to cry.

I'm hoping Neeld and co are wanting players who can use the ball as much as I am wanting them. (This guy seems like one)

We need an injection of highly skilled users via trades/FA and the draft. I can't think of a side that turns the ball over more often than us. Makes me want to cry.

That's one of the things I noticed watching the Swans last night. When they switched direction and had to go backwards, it was usually executed perfectly and without hitches. Whenever we do the same thing, my heart leaps into my mouth and it's panic stations.

Carey Grammar have spawned a rare class of potential AFL players this year. All of Viney, Hrovat and Macrae are rated as top 10 with Jaksch and Haynes not far behind.

Another Carey alumni, Andrew Gaff, averaged 40 disposals for the APS in his senior year. Macrae averaged 43 this year.

In the APS vs. AGS game, he collected 44 disposals and 20 marks.

He is an absolute bolter, this kid.

I was a bit of a draft nazi earlier in the season when people tried to make definitive statements about where a kid is rated, and Jackson is the prime example of why. Knightmare on BF for example didn't have him in the first round an edit or two ago in his mock and now he has us picking him up at 4.

Will be very interested to see how he goes in the GF, another BOG and he might be long gone by pick 13.

I've watched Jackson a few times at Carey with Jack and others Hrovat, Jaksch and Haynes and he is a field general. Half back flanker who leads by his gorgeous left foot and creates action. His likeness is player I would say is very close to Luke Hodge. Not so much the leadership but he sets up a team with his left foot, is a great accumulator and is very good at reading the footy. Would be a great pick if Toumpas is taken at 2 or potentially 3.

This kid sounds promising and could work out as a VERY NICE "consolation prize" if we dont get kennedy or toumpas

like most others i see the need for picking up hogan using either pick 3or4 but there is alot of really exciting midfield types this year.

Guest José Mourinho

It's funny, I've like him for a while now, but I've realised I have this semi-conscious infantile idea in my head that if I don't bring it up & he's not talked about on this forum, he'll somehow sneak under the radar and into our grasp with pick 13 / pick 22 / pick 78 / whatever...

Anyway, MacRae and O'Rourke join Toumpas and Hogan as players I'd be overjoyed to snare with our first 2 picks.

Problem is, with such a depth of top-end talent available, we're a monty to select a player who is good but not quite the superstar that gets selected at 11.

Cest la vie (being a dees supporter).

This banana bread beer is something else.

Get on it.

• Like 1

Not to be overly critical of o'rourke but I've seen a fair bit of him and he goes a bit too quiet in the close ones IMO. He does start games very well. Maybe it is just a fitness thing. He is also very introverted. Maybe personality traits do effect players in close games. I don't really believe he would be a player to fit the neeld game plan.

I was a bit of a draft nazi earlier in the season when people tried to make definitive statements about where a kid is rated, and Jackson is the prime example of why. Knightmare on BF for example didn't have him in the first round an edit or two ago in his mock and now he has us picking him up at 4.

Will be very interested to see how he goes in the GF, another BOG and he might be long gone by pick 13.

But that is the nature of things where the draft is concerned. Players can come from nowhere to establish their credentials or (as often happens at that age), they can improve dramatically over a season. There have been many instances of players coming good late in the season and Mick Malthouse used to look for players who excelled in the high pressure games like finals because he believed them to be the best tests of a player's ability. He did well with Pendelbury and Thomas out of that philosophy.*

If Macrae stars again today his really will be the name on everybody's lips.

* and if Vlad's reading this, MM experimented that year and lost the last eight games of the season to get them.

• Like 1

Indeed.

Knightmare may be just a decent junior watcher and not much more, but here's his profile on Macrae:

#4 Melbourne (Compensation Pick) – Jackson Macrae (VIC – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 188cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 03/08/1994

Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers

Style: Scott Pendlebury (Early career without that developed inside game)

Player comparison: Jared Polec

Range: 3-15

Profile: Macrae has really come on this year and developed into one of the more intriguing prospects. Macrae is a highly skilled and high production outside player who has really played some fantastic football this year and has improved as much as an since the beginning of the season really showing consistent development throughout. Macrae’s kicking ability is a real standout feature – has great penetration and can kick accurately over a range of distances up to 55m and hit targets in dangerous positions. Finishing ability around goal good. Really weights his kicks beautifully and with regularity finds the correct target. Even under pressure in positions where he has no right to get a clear kick off to a target he still has great ability to find the right target up the field. Has rare poise and composure and seems to have more time than the next player in the same way Pendlebury does and just never looks rushed with ball in hand. He reads the play well both offensively and defensively allowing him to get to the right positions. Marking ability above average and field marking ability as well as marking ability behind the ball is good. The other feature in Macrae’s game that makes him stand out from the pack is his running ability. Has really impressive pace and with it a very high work rate and excellent endurance which allows him to get so much of the ball around the ground."

I'm not sure what stock I should put in his comments, but if Macrae is accurately depicted and has the scope to improve further in an AFL system then he's well worth looking at even at pick 4. I liked what I saw on Foxtel during the championships.

A draft which netted Hogan, Macrae, Kennedy and Viney, plus others would be a great fillip to our list.

Another BOG, this one in a big one (GF) - Hawks will be after him I reckon (though I wonder if one can have too many lefties); so should we if the right pick.