Sharrod Wellingham

felixdacat

I think the eagles would be keen to have Wellingham, and he would see the benefit. Collingwood would like Stef Martin.

We should not be throwing in too much.

Maybe Martin to Pies, Wellingham to Eagles and pick 17 to Dees. With pick 17 I would see if we could get Ben Jacobs back from the Power. He is 20, and would be the perfect left footer quarterback/half back we need. Great skills. Would be a Grant Birchall type.

So Collingwood get Martin for the loss of Wellingham? I would expect their asking price for Sharrod would be greater than that.

• Like 1

Billy, the reality is our midfield is deplorable. Easily the worst midfield in the entire competition. In fact it would barely break even with the best midfield in the VFL.

Stefan Martin is a good ordinary player. but in the position and role (ruck/part time forward) he plays at Melbourne he is only going to be 3rd string at best whilst Jamar and Clark are there. And once Jamar goes there needs to be an expectation that Gawn and Fitzpatrick will be pushing up hard (or have already failed).

Sharrod would immediately be our best or second best (arguable) midfielder. A positon you need to bat 10 or 12 deep to compete with the elite sides.

He is young, comes from a winning culture a plays a position the Pies have surplus of. A trade of this type is win-win for mine.

A cost of 600K a year front loaded is no doubt overs, but the reality is that's the only thing that will lure a decent player to our club. We have no other cards to play.

I totally agree that our midfield needs addressing. I'm against Wellingham, especially throwing $600k at him. I think we could invest that money for someone much better for the same price or a slight bit more. I think Wellingham is overrated, especially considering he isn't getting the first or 2nd tag at present, and I don't think he is value for money. Mitch Clark is on similar if not a bit more, but at least he is giving us some value. If you want to spend big dollars on a midfielder that will come in and make an immediate impact, throw $3.6m over 4 years at Bartel. You'd only be paying an extra $200k a year, and I know which player would give us a better return on the investment.

You have addressed the Stef Martin thing poorly. Leigh Brown was only ever a 3rd string player himself, just like you commented about Martin. Brown had Jolly and Cloke ahead of him, and Martin has Jamar and Clark. When Brown was in the top 2 of their big men, they weren't winning premierships, hence why they went and got Jolly. Gawn is a ruckman only, so he shouldn't be considered in this argument. Fitzy could be that Leigh Brown type, but at the moment, I'd have Martin ahead of him. Premiership sides alway have that type of player, we have one (Martin), but you want to give him away at the hope that Fitzy can make it? If anything, Sellar is playing that role at the moment, and I would like to think Martin could rise above him, especially given Brown works for us.

• Like 2

While I do think Sharrod shines more with quality around him, there's no denying he has talent and knows how to use it.

Would definitely be interested, especially if it involves Martin.

The more talented players we get that know about elite training and preparation standards the better.

Don't know about this go back to WA bs... He's got the life here in Melbz at casa de Buddy.

• Like 1

Obviously Wellingham benefits from Collingwood's star studded midfield, but he is still a good midfielder, probably a B Grader just like Nathan Jones. He has spent a lot of time this year on a Half Forward Flank so we know he is not one dimensional like Moloney. He could become a better player with more midfield time and more responsibility.

He also comes from an elite club and is the right age to give us 100 games of service while Trengove, Grimes, Viney, Taggert, O'Rourke/Toumpas etc continue to develop.

$600k is overs but as proven by offering Mackay $2m over 4 years, we are going to have to spend big on a B grader to get anyone across. $600k is probably only $100-$150k more than what Moloney earned this year.

Stef Martin is the perfect trade-bait now that we have signed Jamar for 3 years. He is a ruckman first and foremost. He has never dominated a game forward or back - only glimpses. He needs to go somewhere that he can be the no 1 ruck and spend only 20% of his time forward. We must trade Martin this year because another season rotting at half forwrard, jumping at contests with one hand like a basketballer will only diminish his trade-value even further.

• Like 2

Stef Martin is the perfect trade-bait now that we have signed Jamar for 3 years. He is a ruckman first and foremost. He has never dominated a game forward or back - only glimpses. He needs to go somewhere that he can be the no 1 ruck and spend only 20% of his time forward.

These words just gave me a horrid sense of deja vu: Daren Jolly! Hope we know what we are doing letting Martin go.

• Like 1

I have heard from a few people (yeah, yeah, but I have more credibility than any sports journo) that Neeld wants a direct replacement for what was lost last year - HWFUA.

So a young player who has been in the system for 4+ years ready to contribute in a big way straight away, and he is not afraid to use the Comp picks either.

Wellingham would fit that bill, if he is available his value would be Pick 13 IMO, or Martin plus a swap of later picks.

• Like 2

Melbourne circles Sharrod Wellingham as Collingwood midfielder remains unsigned

We're all over him according to to Jon Ralph, which means he's probably headed anywhere but Melbourne, but read into it what you will.

The fact that it comes from Jon Ralph and not the office copy boy who only got a gig because a couple of real journalists have moved on from the paper lends the story a bit more credibility. However, I prefer stories such as these when they become fait accompli and not when they're journalistic scuttlebutt.

Collingwood is still in the finals and there's still much water to flow under the bridge ...

The fact that it comes from Jon Ralph and not the office copy boy who only got a gig because a couple of real journalists have moved on from the paper lends the story a bit more credibility. However, I prefer stories such as these when they become fait accompli and not when they're journalistic scuttlebutt.

Collingwood is still in the finals and there's still much water to flow under the bridge ...

No one from either club quoted with any comment, nor Wellingham or his agent.

I'll take it as a page filler for now, Ralphy may have just been reading this thread. But who knows?

I have heard from a few people (yeah, yeah, but I have more credibility than any sports journo) that Neeld wants a direct replacement for what was lost last year - HWFUA.

So a young player who has been in the system for 4+ years ready to contribute in a big way straight away, and he is not afraid to use the Comp picks either.

Wellingham would fit that bill, if he is available his value would be Pick 13 IMO, or Martin plus a swap of later picks.

Ive had it passed also that Neeld is very keen on getting this Engine room up and firing in a major way from here on in. Dont know anyone that knwos Neeld per se..but 2nd hand via the FD. No real news in this other than he ( MN ) doesnt want to muck around or wait years and years for some noobie to come on . ( Thats not the thinking re Viney btw...Hes a Day1 guy )

I suuppose it make sense that Neeld would go to the well he knows well, and that knows him,

Jones, Viney and Wellingham + and + ..Suddenly weve gone up a few gears. Would change the dynamics of our play overnight And thats exactly what my whisper suggests is the goal. Not just to make it work....to make it fire !!

Im not sure how many view our prosepcts for 2013, but if the FD can get even 50% of whom theyre targetting we will be a very very VERY different outfit in 2013.

Not finalists perhaps, but very competitve if raw. ( until they get the hang of things )

Id be happy, and quite inpressed ( as was with the getting of Clark ) should we land Sharrod.

This scenario ahs some semblance of reality , not for it coming from Ralph, but simply it makes sense.Its quite plausible

• Like 1

A combo of Viney, Wellingham and Kennedy injected into the midfield with Hogan/Stringer up forward would make a major difference.

A small forward or 2 picked up late in draft/rookie/FA and our gaps will be much more filled.

Midfield of Sylvia, Jones, Wellingham, Trengove, Kennedy, Viney, Howe and Grimes is quite attractive.

I still maintain he is worth a go. Agree he doesn't get a hard tag and he benefits from playing with 2 or 3 of the best half a dozen midfielders in the comp, but last year when the pies had a few out it was Wellingham that stood up and took responsibility. Good pace, athletic, good kick. Our midfield is SHIZEN

I still maintain he is worth a go. Agree he doesn't get a hard tag and he benefits from playing with 2 or 3 of the best half a dozen midfielders in the comp, but last year when the pies had a few out it was Wellingham that stood up and took responsibility. Good pace, athletic, good kick. Our midfield is SHIZEN

Some players will play better as the 4-5th string mid. Others will rise to the occasion of being the main man. Wellingham showed last year he could be the latter. He is exactly the type of player we should target.

• Like 4

A combo of Viney, Wellingham and Kennedy injected into the midfield with Hogan/Stringer up forward would make a major difference.

A small forward or 2 picked up late in draft/rookie/FA and our gaps will be much more filled.

Midfield of Sylvia, Jones, Wellingham, Trengove, Kennedy, Viney, Howe and Grimes is quite attractive.

How are we going to pick up Kennedy and Wellingham?

We would have to trade pick 13 for Wellingham. Which means you want to use pick 4 on Kennedy? Or are you planning on parting with pick 4 for Wellingham?

How are we going to pick up Kennedy and Wellingham?

We would have to trade pick 13 for Wellingham. Which means you want to use pick 4 on Kennedy? Or are you planning on parting with pick 4 for Wellingham?

With pick 13 for Kennedy, Stef Martin and a 2nd rounder for Wellingham

or if Viney slips to 2nd round then just trade pick 4 for Wellingham.

Edited by olisik

Hence the big offer for David Mackay.

Never mind what other elite inside-outside runners with slick hands are out there - who would be willing to join us?

If explosive speed and high endurance are the demand then I would think Toumpas, O'Rourke or Mayes are suitable candidates.

?

First question, are you meaning Josh Kennedy from the Swans? If so it's pick 4 you must give.

However the Swans still wouldn't trade him, purely because trading out proven hard bodies who have bought in for speculative 18 year olds does not fit their culture.

First question, are you meaning Josh Kennedy from the Swans? If so it's pick 4 you must give.

However the Swans still wouldn't trade him, purely because trading out proven hard bodies who have bought in for speculative 18 year olds does not fit their culture.

I thought it was quite obvious i was talking about Ben Kennedy from the draft...