Jack Darling ... Why? Oh Why? Oh Why?

Range Rover

We presently have 17 top 20 draft picks, which outside of GWS is the highest in the competition. The next highest is Carlton and Essendon ...

Yes, but what does that say? NONE of these teams are in the 8.

Drafting is only part of the equation, and probably in reality, a fairly small part of it. We're not where we are now because we took Cook over Darling, and RR"s petty and superficial ranting and raving do nothing to add to any meaningful discourse about the club, where we are, or the way forward.

• Like 1

Drafting is only part of the equation, and probably in reality, a fairly small part of it. We're not where we are now because we took Cook over Darling, and RR"s petty and superficial ranting and raving do nothing to add to any meaningful discourse about the club, where we are, or the way forward.

No we are not bing you are correct.

However it is a sign of our inability to draft well.

We have made some good choices later in drafts but our first round selections for the last ten years have mostly been average at best.

And please don't use the development excuse.

We have not had one from this group that is more than an average player

A couple could be good but that is it.

The score board this year proves it beyond doubt

More CAC's point.

Doesn't really cut it for me. Howe about we get both right ? Collingwood got Sidebottom at 11 and Beams at 29. That works for me.

All I'm saying If we'd taken Howe at 12 and then stuffed pick 33, we'd have exactly the same result (same players on the list) but we wouldn't be having this conversation. Nobody would give a rats who sat between our two picks. That makes putting Jack Darling in to the discussion completely redundant. Furthermore, it was redundant once, so you might forgive some of us for being frustrated at thread number one million that brings this up.

It's not quite the same as CAC's point - which (and I know you know - for the benefit of the uninitiated) is that later picks can compensate for poor early picks. I'm not saying that picking Howe compensates for the poor pick at 12. It's obvious that picking two good players would be better than picking one. All I'm saying is that this self-flagellation that goes on every time Darling plays a good game is neither interesting nor useful. At pick 12 it's a given that if you stink the pick up that you miss out on better players, so why do we constantly need new threads telling us the same old bull we already know?

All I'm saying If we'd taken Howe at 12 and then stuffed pick 33, we'd have exactly the same result (same players on the list) we wouldn't be having this conversation. That makes putting Jack Darling in to the discussion completely redundant. Furthermore, it was redundant once, so you might forgive some of us for being frustrated at thread number one million that brings this up.

It's not quite the same as CAC's point - which (and I know you know - for the benefit of the uninitiated) is that later picks can compensate for poor early picks. I'm not saying that picking Howe compensates for the poor pick at 12. It's obvious that picking two good players would be better than picking one. All I'm saying is that this self-flagellation that goes on every time Darling plays a good game is neither interesting nor useful. At pick 12 it's a given that if you stink the pick up that you miss out on better players, so why do we constantly need new threads telling us the same old bull we already know?

You are right Nasher it was a crap decision from day one.

My problem is that it is an excellent example of MFC early selections over the last ten years.

Edited by old dee

you need help mate! yes, we made a mistake, as did every other club. there are missed picks every year in the draft. do we really need a new thread, and to keep going on and on about it? end of season couldn't come at a better time for you, think its time for a holiday and some time away from football.

you need help mate! yes, we made a mistake, as did every other club. there are missed picks every year in the draft. do we really need a new thread, and to keep going on and on about it? end of season couldn't come at a better time for you, think its time for a holiday and some time away from football.

Members have right to be angry/frustrated at our recruiting which has been disastrous over the last decade!

Nothing can be done know but it will take another 3-5 yrs of good drafting just to catch up.

How much can we take watching our team who is not afl level...... Im a paid up member 15yrs & have supported them from 1970 as a

young boy. Its only so much people will take before they stop turning up.

You are right Nasher it was a crap decision from day one.

My problem is that it is an excellent example of MFC early selections over the last ten years.

We have made poor selections in the past old dee, no doubt. All I'm saying if you're going to look backwards, do it in a manner where you might learn something. Saying we should've picked Darling instead of Cook is focussing on the result (which you can't do anything about) rather than how we arrived at the result (can do something about this and ensure we don't make the same mistakes next time).

The business equivalent of this thread would be a like the share holder of a company that made a $1m loss lauding its CEO for not instead making a $1m profit. But why didn't you just make a profit, Mr CEO! It's obvious that a profit is better than a loss!

We have made poor selections in the past old dee, no doubt. All I'm saying if you're going to look backwards, do it in a manner where you might learn something. Saying we should've picked Darling instead of Cook is focussing on the result (which you can't do anything about) rather than how we arrived at the result (can do something about this and ensure we don't make the same mistakes next time).

The business equivalent of this thread would be a like the share holder of a company that made a $1m loss lauding its CEO for not instead making a $1m profit. But why didn't you just make a profit, Mr CEO! It's obvious that a profit is better than a loss!

It doesn't really matter what slant you want to put on it, the fact is the supporters have every right to rant and rave about our sheizenhauzen recruiting.

Too many around here just sit back and cop it sweet year after year, coming up with all manner of lame excuses for our "talent" selectors making one horrendous blunder after another.

We've been conned and duped and it's time we bloody well got angry about it and demanded better.

Edited by Range Rover
  • Like 2

It doesn't really matter what slant you want to put on it, the fact is the supporters have every right to rant and rave about our sheizenhauzen recruiting.

Too many around here just sit back and cop it sweet year after year, coming up with all manner of lame excuses for our "talent" selectors making one horrendous blunder after another.

We've been conned and duped and it's time we bloody well got angry about it and demanded better.

That's a WYL-esque I've-Forgotten-What-My-Own-Point-Was---Oh-Wait-I-never-had-one style sidestep Rover.

Here, I think you dropped this:

Olympic-Torch.jpg

• Like 5

Guest Rassilon
Nah, I get lots of support around here. So get used to it.

The blind leading the blind. The ignorant preaching to the ignorant. Support around here proves nothing.

​What is sad about around here, is the continual negativism and consistent attacks on our own, its so counter productive its just no longer funny.

You are turning Melbourne supporters against one another and more importantly against your own club. Im staggered the mods sit back and do nothing.

• Like 1

You are turning Melbourne supporters against one another and more importantly against your own club. Im staggered the mods sit back and do nothing.

You sound like Bob Brown who wants censorship on free speech in the media.

It's OK to say things you're happy to hear, but shut down comments you don't like ? Left wing views at their finest.

Edited by Ben-Hur

He's been shown where the door is a couple of times when he's stepped over the mark. That said, Demonland has always operated under a philosophy that people have a right to speak their mind no matter how idiotic controversial what they may say is, so long as the topic remains civil and the rules are followed.

He's been shown where the door is a couple of times when he's stepped over the mark. That said, Demonland has always operated under a philosophy that people have a right to speak their mind no matter how idiotic controversial what they may say is, so long as the topic remains civil and the rules are followed.

Thanks ... I think :huh:

You sound like Bob Brown who wants censorship on free speech in the media.

It's OK to say things you're happy to hear, but shut down comments you don't like ? Left wing views at their finest.

Left wing all right. The right wing would allow you your views...but sue you so hard and so often that you would lose everything you had to "defend" the expressed view. Then they'd deny that it was about free speech. Why sully the exercising of power with a dirty inconvenience like the truth?

BP does deserve to be flogged for eternity. But don't forget the coach. I doubt that BP did everything just cause. I would bet that there was a direction to go tall in the cook/darling draft. They come as a pair, Bails and BP.

For my part, I will make it a point to never forget them.

Can't believe people can still defend the Darling/Cook decision. Our number 12 pick is still struggling in the Casey 2's. The alternative is about to play in his second final series as a major player.

The MFC really blew this one, and i hope people never forget it.

• Like 1

Good post.

All I'm saying If we'd taken Howe at 12 and then stuffed pick 33, we'd have exactly the same result (same players on the list) but we wouldn't be having this conversation. Nobody would give a rats who sat between our two picks. That makes putting Jack Darling in to the discussion completely redundant. Furthermore, it was redundant once, so you might forgive some of us for being frustrated at thread number one million that brings this up.

Another good post.

That's a WYL-esque I've-Forgotten-What-My-Own-Point-Was---Oh-Wait-I-never-had-one style sidestep Rover.

Here, I think you dropped this:

Olympic-Torch.jpg

Glorious.

Can't believe people can still defend the Darling/Cook decision. Our number 12 pick is still struggling in the Casey 2's. The alternative is about to play in his second final series as a major player.

The MFC really blew this one, and i hope people never forget it.

You really are senile.