Who should we pick up?

Grimseyisgod

i'd rather they give sheahan or davis a crack...

Would much prefer the money to be used fora ready to go midfield or forward

I would love a gun mid, but I'm not sure we will land one that will demand big dollars. The club may want to use the surplus funds on a proven player, especially to hold down a key position post. If Rivers goes he is replaced, if he stays, we will have the ability to use one of the moblie defenders up forward.

Interesting times ahead.

What we need : mids, small fwd and tall fwds (we have plenty of tall and mid size backman

Therfefore in the Trade and free agent period: I think we have to look at who would want to come to MFC.

a). $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ searchers or multi-year contracts

B) Players on the fringe. Also good if there is a come home factor.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ searchers or multi-year contracts

****** Saints - Brendan Goddard (27 y.o) – offer at least 5 years contract as a min. at $1 million at year. This IS value. A star, a leader and a player who takes no backward steps. Unlikely, but give it a rip.

Suns: Maverick Weller (19 y.o): rate him very highly. Runs hard, tackles, great skills. Great ability to get the footy. 3-year, $300k a year contract. He is as good if not better than Scully.

Power : Ben Jacobs (20 y.o) – great left foot disposal. Had 2 years development. Surely a 3yr deal again at $300K ish would attract.

on the fringe: (mids)

West Coast: Koby Stevens (21 y.o) – tough, great tackler, behind 4-5 in strong Eagles midfield. In 3 years, only 11 games including 4 in 2012. A MUST GET IN MY OPINION.

Adelaide: Jarryd Lyons (20 y.o) - clean hands, excelling with his in-close work at the stoppages. Behind 6-7 in Crows elite midfield. One year development and ready to go. A good in/out type mid.

Swans: Brett Meredith (23 y.o) – highly skilled. Injury riddled. In system now for 5 yrs for 16 games. Swans would entertain a trade for a pick at the 50 ish range to get him home to Melbourne

Swans: Jed Lamb (20 y.o) - super talented. Behind 5-6 in strong Swans midfield. Can play fwd and has elite skills to deliver the footy

on the fringe: (small fwd)

Hawks: Shane Savage (22 y.o) - 38 games in 4 years. He is an energetic small fwd with great goal sense. Not in Clarkson’s best 25 and must be looking elsewhere. Good dollars would attract.

Adelaide: Matthew Jaensch (23 y.o) – I have seen him play and he is too good for SANFL but not given chances for Crows. Behind Petrenko, Riley and Callinan (unsure why as Jaensch is a better player)

Brisbane: Callum Bartlett (21 y.o) - 3 yrs at Brisbane and ready for a crack. Would walk to us if we said we want you. Tough, skilled.

Swans: Jared Moore (26 y.o) – a pocket rocket. Behind McGlynn and Jetta as small fwd for Swans. Would get as a free agent, delistee or PSD.

on the fringe: (tall fwd)

Adelaide: Shaun McKernan (22 y.o) – 23 games in 4 years (6 in 2012). Very agile tall marking fwd. Behind Tippett & Walker.

Brisbane: Aaron Cornelius (22 y.o) – given rare chances at Brisbane. 4 years and 22 games (8 in 2012) I rate highly. Tassie boy.

West Coast: Quinten Lynch (29 y.o) – he would add some grunt and muscle. At 29, may not see us through but a good 3 years ahead and would complement Clark in the fwd line.

Objective: get 3 players (one mid, one small fwd, one tall fwd) in trade and free agent window.

Then target National Draft and Pre season draft. Likely 7 list spots available for this draft.

Target best from VFL/WAFL/SANFL for any pick 60+.

• Like 3

why would you want to dilute pick 4?

Because gaff is already proven gun, and is only going to get better. The risk of having pick 4 is that the player turns out dud and Gaff isnt dud he is a freak.

I know Neeld wants us to be more defensive....is this why we have 2 half back lines? Or is it the fact that we can only attack from half back because we lose the clearances?

Yeah thats fair enough, i reckon Neeld just thinks that we need to learn how to stop goals and than we can kick them and i think thats a process. I like the looks of players like Bail, Blease, T Mac they need to learn offence and defence.

My 22 a bit of wishful thinking for Rnd 1 2013

B: Russell Frawley Rivers

HB: Mcdonald Garland Grimes

C: Gaff ( for pick 3) Viney Trengove

HF: Sylvia Watts Howe

F: Pearce Clark Monfries

Foll Jamar Wellingham Jones

Intr Blease Tapscott Gawn Dunn

Not such wishful thinking, a couple good picks and we are there and some money thrown at free agents! i like it!

Swap Gawn with Spencer, Pencil is a gun

Still think we need one of each of the following.

MY HITLIST OF GETABLE PLAYERS

Key position forward: Scott Gumbleton, Aaron Cornelius, Shaun McKernan

Small crumbing forward: Jarred Moore, Shannon Byrnes, David Ellard

Inside Midfielder: Koby Stevens, Josh Caddy

Outside Midfielder: Danyle Pearce, Ben Jacobs or Andrew Gaff as a long, long, long, long, long long long shot!

Running half back: Jordan Russell, Xavier Ellis, Josh Toy

Three of my 5 first choices are free agents meaning minimal would need to be given to obtain them.

For the record, Monfries who's been linked with us would be my 5th choice for a small forward after Matt White from Richmond.

Edit: Add Gaff.

My top 4 would be Wellingham, Goddard, Russell and Young.

All 4 would walk straight into our 22.

Couldn't disagree with that any two of those would be nice most likely are young and Russell but ya never know if ya don't have a go!

on the fringe: (small fwd)

Hawks: Shane Savage (22). 38 games in 4 years. He is an energetic small fwd with great goal sense. Not in Clarkson’s best 25 and must be looking elsewhere.

Perhaps not after tonight's performance ...

Gaff just re-signed this year, he is not going anywhere no matter what we do. I would have thought anyone paying attention to football in general would have known this.

And a contracted player has never been traded before??? Think everyone knows that Gaff is contracted just like everyone knows a contracted player can be traded. :huh:

As it's been mentioned it would be a long shot and is highly unlikely.

Only way I could see it happening would be if neither GWS or GC bid on Viney and GC don't trade for any of the MD picks. Melbourne trade picks 3 & 4 for both MD picks and then ontrade MD pick 1 to West Coast for Gaff so they can take Jack Martin if they were really keen on him.

Don't think it will happen, but that's the only way I could see it happening.

• Like 1

And a contracted player has never been traded before??? Think everyone knows that Gaff is contracted just like everyone knows a contracted player can be traded. :huh:

As it's been mentioned it would be a long shot and is highly unlikely.

Only way I could see it happening would be if neither GWS or GC bid on Viney and GC don't trade for any of the MD picks. Melbourne trade picks 3 & 4 for both MD picks and then ontrade MD pick 1 to West Coast for Gaff so they can take Jack Martin if they were really keen on him.

Don't think it will happen, but that's the only way I could see it happening.

We have about as much chance of Gaff coming to Melbourne as we do getting Buddy Franklin - Zero. None of this "don't think it could happen, but this is the only way I can see it happening" stuff. I know it's this time of the year but it's ridiculous in the extreme. Why West Coast would trade a PROVEN player for a bloke they won't get for a year and is NOT proven is totally beyond me. No club is that stupid. Move on from even the smallest notion of it happening, as it won't.

We have about as much chance of Gaff coming to Melbourne as we do getting Buddy Franklin - Zero. None of this "don't think it could happen, but this is the only way I can see it happening" stuff. I know it's this time of the year but it's ridiculous in the extreme. Why West Coast would trade a PROVEN player for a bloke they won't get for a year and is NOT proven is totally beyond me. No club is that stupid. Move on from even the smallest notion of it happening, as it won't.

I know what your talking about oh wise one. It would be like a team playing in the 2001 prelim final and then trading their young up and coming CHB who their fans adore for an unproven Number 1 draft pick. Would never, ever happen!!!

It's ok Wiseblood, you've been shown up and you've got your back up, I can understand. End of the day it's something that could although highly unlikely and I doubt ever would happen.

• Like 1

Gaff just re-signed this year, he is not going anywhere no matter what we do. I would have thought anyone paying attention to football in general would have known this.

Mate, i pay plenty of attention to football. Players under contract can be traded, just in case you didnt have any idea.

• Like 2

Stop shutting people down, you have done that twice. If you offer any team enough the player goes.. I never said Gaff was coming to Melbourne, i said i want Gaff to come but it was a long shot. no need to be a smart ass buddy

I know what your talking about oh wise one. It would be like a team playing in the 2001 prelim final and then trading their young up and coming CHB who their fans adore for an unproven Number 1 draft pick. Would never, ever happen!!!

It's ok Wiseblood, you've been shown up and you've got your back up, I can understand. End of the day it's something that could although highly unlikely and I doubt ever would happen.

You know what I'm talking about? Good. Then you know it won't happen. Sorted.

Stop shutting people down, you have done that twice. If you offer any team enough the player goes.. I never said Gaff was coming to Melbourne, i said i want Gaff to come but it was a long shot. no need to be a smart ass buddy

Not shutting anyone down, just stating fact. I want Dane Swan to come to Melbourne but, like Gaff, it won't happen so there is no reason to waste space over it.

You know what I'm talking about? Good. Then you know it won't happen. Sorted.

Not shutting anyone down, just stating fact. I want Dane Swan to come to Melbourne but, like Gaff, it won't happen so there is no reason to waste space over it.

I really have to learn not to even worry about responding to trolls.

I guess Jeff White would have been no chance to come to Melbourne either after the 1997 season.

And I think you're being a bit generous to Gaff in suggesting a trade for him is equally as unrealistic as a trade for Franklin or Swan would be.

Goodnight you muppett!

Watching tonight's game X-Factor Ellis, Randy Savage & Bam Bam Wellingham looked like good cookies!

Bam Bam plays like a ticking time bomb though. He's got carry over points that will stick for his career.

X-Factor Ellis injury free would be a great player. Steps up for the big games too! Runner-up too Hodge for Norm Smith in 2008.

Randy Savage is clinical with his finishing! Dangerous inside 50.

Ellis & Savage definitely. Wellingham comes with baggage but is worth the punt! He would mix it well with Grundy, Jones & Viney!

I really have to learn not to even worry about responding to trolls.

I guess Jeff White would have been no chance to come to Melbourne either after the 1997 season.

And I think you're being a bit generous to Gaff in suggesting a trade for him is equally as unrealistic as a trade for Franklin or Swan would be.

Goodnight you muppett!

Since when did stating facts become a troll? You want others to listen to your thoughts and then someone has a differing view and it's a "troll'.

The Jeff White comparison is way off the mark as he WANTED to come back to Victoria and we had the picks to give to Freo. If Gaff wanted to come back to Victoria who wouldn't have signed a new deal which, therefore, shows he is happy in WA and the Eagles want him there. The Eagles LOVE him and there is no chance they'll part with him so I see no reason why his name would even be thrown up, although Melbourne fans seem to have an obsession with him.

This. He doesn't even enter into discussions. He is a pick 4 who has more than proven his worth in two seasons. He's possibly the best young mid to come from the draft system in the last 5 years IMO. We'd have to give up pick 3+4 to get him.

I do like the idea of trying to get Savage though. He has good pace and skills, and could be a dangerous player for us up forward rotating through the midfield.

Since when did stating facts become a troll? You want others to listen to your thoughts and then someone has a differing view and it's a "troll'.

The Jeff White comparison is way off the mark as he WANTED to come back to Victoria and we had the picks to give to Freo. If Gaff wanted to come back to Victoria who wouldn't have signed a new deal which, therefore, shows he is happy in WA and the Eagles want him there. The Eagles LOVE him and there is no chance they'll part with him so I see no reason why his name would even be thrown up, although Melbourne fans seem to have an obsession with him.

It makes you a troll because you're completely dismissive of other posters comments when these are the facts.

1. The comment was made that although it most likely wouldn't happen, Gaff would be the type of player we should try and get. This thread is called 'Who should we pick up'.

2. It was then suggested by another poster that for the right price he may consider a move.

3. You've then come in on your high horse and said that he's contracted and that anyone who follows the footy would know that so it wont happen.

4. You've then been corrected that just because a player is contracted it doesn't mean they can't be traded. If you would like an example of such, we traded Woewodin under contract as did North Melbourne with Byron Pickett.

4. You've then said it wont happen and we have as much chance of landing him as we do Swan or Franklin. Something that has already been acknowledged by the other poster, and then acted like an immature 11 year old in editing posts of the same people you are taking to task to try and make your point and that it shouldn't even be discused and that no club would trade for unproven draft picks.

5. You also say we can't compare it to the Jeff White situation because he wanted to come back to Victoria and we had picks to trade where as Gaff doesn't have that issue. Well after wanting to come back intertstate I would have thought the next biggest reason to move is for money something that we have ample of to offer players at the moment. Also if we did secure MD pick 1 then I'd argue that we do have the picks. You also said that a club would never trade one of their young stars for an unproven player yet that's a very example of it happening. Also when the example of Hawthorn trading Croad (who didn't even want to leave) was given you chose to ignore it. You're like the On the Couch panel choosing not to ask Brock McLean why he went to Carlton if he left Melbourne when Carlton have a history of tanking also.

But that's ok Wiseblood, clearly we've upset you. So if you can supply us with a list of all players currently in the AFL and highlight only the ones that you think are players that we could possibly get then we can make sure this never happens again.

Otherwise we'll just have to agree to disagree as to whether it's possible or not, but we can both agree that the likely hood of it happening are minimal at best.

Edit: Draft picks

Watching tonight's game X-Factor Ellis, Randy Savage & Bam Bam Wellingham looked like good cookies!

Bam Bam plays like a ticking time bomb though. He's got carry over points that will stick for his career.

X-Factor Ellis injury free would be a great player. Steps up for the big games too! Runner-up too Hodge for Norm Smith in 2008.

Randy Savage is clinical with his finishing! Dangerous inside 50.

Ellis & Savage definitely. Wellingham comes with baggage but is worth the punt! He would mix it well with Grundy, Jones & Viney!

All of them well worth a look.

I reckon Wellingham will be a bit more tough to get but we'll wait and see.

i agree WiseBlood some people are seriously [censored] around here. why the flying [censored] would they trade probably there up and coming midfielder since ben cousins after they had resigned this year. they would NOT trade for any of our players with Gaff. they rate him so highly it would be like us saying oh lets trade mitch clark for Brad Dick..!

Get with the common sense!