Who should we pick up?

Grimseyisgod

Watching tonight's game X-Factor Ellis, Randy Savage & Bam Bam Wellingham looked like good cookies!

Bam Bam plays like a ticking time bomb though. He's got carry over points that will stick for his career.

X-Factor Ellis injury free would be a great player. Steps up for the big games too! Runner-up too Hodge for Norm Smith in 2008.

Randy Savage is clinical with his finishing! Dangerous inside 50.

Ellis & Savage definitely. Wellingham comes with baggage but is worth the punt! He would mix it well with Grundy, Jones & Viney!

I dont know much about Savage and his link with Hawks, but what i do know is Ellis is a pretty good player as is Clinton Young, would be good in the red and blue next year. I love Wellingham and reckon he'd star even more at Melbourne

i agree WiseBlood some people are seriously [censored] around here. why the flying [censored] would they trade probably there up and coming midfielder since ben cousins after they had resigned this year. they would NOT trade for any of our players with Gaff. they rate him so highly it would be like us saying oh lets trade mitch clark for Brad Dick..!

Get with the common sense!

I have thought about it and i do agree that its more than a long shot of him even considering anything. but i think its pretty safe to say that if you think about how much money we could offer him and give WestCoast pick 4 and someone like Lucas Cook. I think the gaff topic should be dropped as people have different thoughts and beliefs on him. I dont believe he will come to Melbourne.

When i do think is that we should like at a player like him. maybe we should look at Wellingham or i dont know?

Since when did stating facts become a troll? You want others to listen to your thoughts and then someone has a differing view and it's a "troll'.

The Jeff White comparison is way off the mark as he WANTED to come back to Victoria and we had the picks to give to Freo. If Gaff wanted to come back to Victoria who wouldn't have signed a new deal which, therefore, shows he is happy in WA and the Eagles want him there. The Eagles LOVE him and there is no chance they'll part with him so I see no reason why his name would even be thrown up, although Melbourne fans seem to have an obsession with him.

i agree the two people on here flogging themselfs over the thought of having him shows the credability and football brain they lack!

1 Gaff is very happy at west coast hence WHY he signed a new deal.

2 As if West Coast would EVER think of the thought of trading Gaff after signing him up. he is the next up and coming midfielder they have had since ben cousins.

3 When was the last time a club traded a future star after signing them up a couple of months ago.

4 Would need to give up picks 3 and 4 plus mitch clark or nathan jones.. thats how much they would ask for him given how highly rated he is... yeah not happening!

5 I agree with everything you say but try telling the two brickwalls that..

i agree WiseBlood some people are seriously [censored] around here. why the flying [censored] would they trade probably there up and coming midfielder since ben cousins after they had resigned this year. they would NOT trade for any of our players with Gaff. they rate him so highly it would be like us saying oh lets trade mitch clark for Brad Dick..!

Get with the common sense!

Lovely, I really enjoyed that as did my disabled brother!

A lot of keyboard heroes around here. Again don't recall saying we should offer them someone like Matthew Bate for Andrew Gaff. Some people really should read and think about what they're about to type and whom they may offend before doing so!

Cloke

Dixon

Stevens

Byrnes

Knights

Ben Kennedy would be a better pick at #13 than trading for Caddy, only 11 touches last night in a winning side

You mentioned Dixon from the Suns.

Melbourne where going to pick him up instead on Cook but the bloody Suns had most of the first 12 draft picks and when it came to our pick they picked Dixon the pick just before us.

Pretty upset about that cause it looks like his going to a strong forward for them that we could have had.

A lot of keyboard heroes around here. Again don't recall saying we should offer them someone like Matthew Bate for Andrew Gaff. Some people really should read and think about what they're about to type and whom they may offend before doing so!

What are you on about!? [censored] is used in alot of different terms around the world and in australia, where did you get disability from!?

Since when did stating facts become a troll? You want others to listen to your thoughts and then someone has a differing view and it's a "troll'.

The Jeff White comparison is way off the mark as he WANTED to come back to Victoria and we had the picks to give to Freo. If Gaff wanted to come back to Victoria who wouldn't have signed a new deal which, therefore, shows he is happy in WA and the Eagles want him there. The Eagles LOVE him and there is no chance they'll part with him so I see no reason why his name would even be thrown up, although Melbourne fans seem to have an obsession with him.

i agree a certain someone on here flogging themselfs over the thought of having him shows the credability and football brain they lack!

1 Gaff is very happy at west coast hence WHY he signed a new deal.

2 As if West Coast would EVER think of the thought of trading Gaff after signing him up. he is the next up and coming midfielder they have had since ben cousins.

3 When was the last time a club traded a future star after signing them up a couple of months ago.

4 Would need to give up picks 3 and 4 plus mitch clark or nathan jones.. thats how much they would ask for him given how highly rated he is... yeah not happening!

5 I agree with everything you say but try telling the brickwall that

Are we talking about our Stef Martin and thinking that somehow he has shown enough thus far to be compared to Wellingham?

Petterd for Koby Stevens possible but I think a lot of our second level players have lost all currancy and may end up in the preseason draft after delisting.

Why does everyone want to trade away Stef Martin, his our only second ruck man who can go forward and actually kick goals. Though's Types of players don't grow on trees you know.

What are you on about!? [censored] is used in alot of different terms around the world and in australia, where did you get disability from!?

It's also a highly offensive way of describing someone who suffers from cerebral palsy which is what my brother has, or a much better way of describing his condition is that he has a muscle disability. I'll accept that you may be ignorant on that matter so that's ok.

Anyway to close that whole conversation I never said it would happen or is likely to happen or will even be discussed by the club and I'd expect wont be. Be if it were to happen that we be the only possible way that I could see it unfolding.

That's why before even mentioning Gaff I refered to much more realistic options of Pearce and Jacobs as players who could play that type of role. I'd be delighted if we managed to land one of those two who no doubt are much more realistic, obtainable and would cost an awful lot less.

Why does everyone want to trade away Stef Martin, his our only second ruck man who can go forward and actually kick goals. Though's Types of players don't grow on trees you know.

Fitzpatrick will be threatening for that role next season but I know what you mean.

The price would have to be right for me to be wanting to trade Stef.

• Like 2

I'd be more than happy having Mitch Clark doing the 2nd ruck/chopout.

Although for that to happen we need another key marking forward.

I'd be more than happy having Mitch Clark doing the 2nd ruck/chopout.

Although for that to happen we need another key marking forward.

He's certainly capable of that but I love him being a stay at home forward.

Dawes form dip came once he started trying to play that role. Wouldn't want it to happen to Clark also.

I'd only want him doing that role if none of Martin, Fitzpatrick or Sellar were available.

But as you said if we were able to land another quality tall forward then it perhaps wouldn't be so bad.

Martin is a handy player, but a better ruck than forward, which would suit Collingwood, who are bereft of support for Jolly. He'd be a great get for them, because, as you say, he can also rest forward with the odd goal and be a match-up problem.

But Martin isn't really a viable option to hold down CHF, which is what we need. So the reason you'd consider trading Martin is to improve your list. Obviously much depends on what Collingwood is prepared to offer. We may say, "thanks, but no cigar". However, the option is certainly worthwhile exploring. That's what happens at this time of year. Lots of deals are discussed and few actually done.

And while you may not rate Spencer, at least he's there along with Gawn and Fitzpatrick.

Sellar is woeful in the ruck and a crappy mark but he seems to have a good attitude.

I reckon Stef is our most talented Ruck and has 100 games up soon .

We are just about to see Stef become a top tier ruck.

I would trade Spencer ,Gawn or Sellars before Stef.

He is a good mover and user of the ball at ground level.

If he gets traded I'm going to open a vein .

• Like 2

And while you may not rate Spencer, at least he's there along with Gawn and Fitzpatrick.

Spencil has come along really well this year. Although I was disapointed with his game against Adelaide n round 22, although he was up against one of the best ruckmen at the moment.

Only concern with Spencil and Gawn while I'm at it is that I don't think that they can both play in the same team as Jamar due to mobility.

Long term I'm not sure that they can both stay on the list for a lot longer seeing as Russian has a 3 year deal.

Guest Rassilon

The Eagles would be mad not to take Matty Bate for Andrew Gaff. They should even throw a first round pick if we agree to throw in Bennell, Dunn & Morton. We are giving them 4 players for 1 and a draft pick !!!!! - Absolutely mad if they (Eagles) dont do it. :wacko:

Sellar is woeful in the ruck and a crappy mark but he seems to have a good attitude.

I reckon Stef is our most talented Ruck and has 100 games up soon .

We are just about to see Stef become a top tier ruck.

I would trade Spencer ,Gawn or Sellars before Stef.

He is a good mover and user of the ball at ground level.

If he gets traded I'm going to open a vein .

Spencer is a really good player in my opinion, he has a good attitude and goes hard at the footy.

Martin has real currency and we should trade for a midfielder. plus a 2nd/3rd draft pick

You mentioned Dixon from the Suns.

Melbourne where going to pick him up instead on Cook but the bloody Suns had most of the first 12 draft picks and when it came to our pick they picked Dixon the pick just before us.

Pretty upset about that cause it looks like his going to a strong forward for them that we could have had.

Dixon was pre-selected via QLD zone as a 17 yo.

You're thinking of Tom Lynch.

• Like 1

It makes you a troll because you're completely dismissive of other posters comments when these are the facts.

1. The comment was made that although it most likely wouldn't happen, Gaff would be the type of player we should try and get. This thread is called 'Who should we pick up'.

2. It was then suggested by another poster that for the right price he may consider a move.

3. You've then come in on your high horse and said that he's contracted and that anyone who follows the footy would know that so it wont happen.

4. You've then been corrected that just because a player is contracted it doesn't mean they can't be traded. If you would like an example of such, we traded Woewodin under contract as did North Melbourne with Byron Pickett.

4. You've then said it wont happen and we have as much chance of landing him as we do Swan or Franklin. Something that has already been acknowledged by the other poster, and then acted like an immature 11 year old in editing posts of the same people you are taking to task to try and make your point and that it shouldn't even be discused and that no club would trade for unproven draft picks.

5. You also say we can't compare it to the Jeff White situation because he wanted to come back to Victoria and we had picks to trade where as Gaff doesn't have that issue. Well after wanting to come back intertstate I would have thought the next biggest reason to move is for money something that we have ample of to offer players at the moment. Also if we did secure MD pick 1 then I'd argue that we do have the picks. You also said that a club would never trade one of their young stars for an unproven player yet that's a very example of it happening. Also when the example of Hawthorn trading Croad (who didn't even want to leave) was given you chose to ignore it. You're like the On the Couch panel choosing not to ask Brock McLean why he went to Carlton if he left Melbourne when Carlton have a history of tanking also.

But that's ok Wiseblood, clearly we've upset you. So if you can supply us with a list of all players currently in the AFL and highlight only the ones that you think are players that we could possibly get then we can make sure this never happens again.

Otherwise we'll just have to agree to disagree as to whether it's possible or not, but we can both agree that the likely hood of it happening are minimal at best.

Edit: Draft picks

Okay, I'll humour you

1. The thread is called "Who we should pick up" not "Who should we TRY and pick up". The very mention of Gaff was ludicrous from the start.

2. The poster who suggested that, for the right price, he may consider a move was ignorant in the extreme. A bloke doesn't sign a new contract unless he wants to stay, and a club doesn't offer one to him if they want to let him go.

3. I mentioned the contract situation as it happened this year. The Eagles won't sign a gun midfielder they just re-signed this year. That was the point.

4. I didn't need to be corrected as I didn't say anything wrong.

5. This one makes no sense to me as I didn't edit anyone's posts. My point still stands - we have as much chance of landing him as we would Swan or Franklin. Clubs don't offload gun players who are happy where they are to get a 17 year old kid. I thought that aspect made quite alot of sense. Gaff is, certainly, not worth the same as a Franklin or Swan, but we would need to give up much, much more to land him than what you suggest.

6. The Croad situation was different, again, as Freo offered up the number one pick in the superdraft plus other picks as well, not a mini draft pick so they can take a skinny 17 year old. The Croad situation shows it has happened, true, but it didn't come nearly as cheap as what you are offering.

Not upset mate, I'm just stating facts. You're the one who seems to be getting his knickers in a twist. As others have agreed the very mention of Gaff is silliness as it won't, under any circumstances, be happening. Would love him at the club, don't get me wrong, but it's just a dream.

Stef for Wellingham suits both parties I believe, especially if Fitzpatrick grows with the confidence from his year at Casey!!! Gives us pace and some sh!t in the midfield (watch his game last night, he does the dirty things, late bumps, dump tackles, that we currently don't have), knows Neeld and Brown well and could be a really good addition to the Jones/Viney centre square combination.

• Like 1

Dixon was pre-selected via QLD zone as a 17 yo.

You're thinking of Tom Lynch.

would take dixon in a heartbeat and lynch even quicker.

Tommy Lynch is still a bit gangly but his chase and 2nd and 3rd efforts are outstanding and i've been singing his praises (while living on the gc) when others were touting steven may and sam day as the future because of their bigger bodies.

Wonder if gc would be willing to do a deal regarding a gysberts (inside mid to help gaz), stefan martin (like for like ruck/fwd but with more seasons) for lynch or dixon...hell i would throw in a 3rd round pick on top for Lynch specifically.

THAT KID WILL BE A STAR!

I dont want one of those bloody players. Get a proven player and a proven inside and outside midfielder

we need 3 new players AT LEAST.

I dont want another young forward that takes another 3 years before he shows anything

I dont want one of those bloody players. Get a proven player and a proven inside and outside midfielder

we need 3 new players AT LEAST.

I dont want another young forward that takes another 3 years before he shows anything

if you think lynch and dixon have shown nothing you must clearly be a josh toy fan as obviously you havent watched a suns game.

I agree with your views regarding midfielders mostly because there seem to be a fair few up for grabs.

Which ESTABLISHED KPF are available this year?