MFC's Poor Drafting.

Redleg

Is there a new wind blowing through the MFC recruiting department?

Today's Herald Sun has an article on players drafted who might make the earliest impact in the AFL. Of 20 named we scored four of them, JV, Jimmy, Jones and Terlich. 4 of our 5 picks made that list. Not that that proves we did well, but at least it is different to the usual articles we see on us and helps from a feeling of being positive about what we have done and our immediate future.

It wont hurt in the search for more sponsors and members either.

I have never been more confident after a draft/trading period that we have really improved our list to the extent of this last period. We will be a different club and have a different team on the ground.

• Like 1

I am saying that CS and Prendergast worked together on drafting and that Schwab is directly responsible for some of our drafting selections since 2008. Schwab interfering in football matters - who would have thought it? This is a fact and I have had this verified by a member of the Stynes/McLardy Board.

I am saying that if Ben-Hur wants to throw blame around for our recent drafting, he should include Schwab along with "Richard Griffiths, Craig Cameron, and Barry Prendergast". He can't bring himself to do it though.

And as Ben-Hur points out, Griffiths was pre-2000 anyway so I don't know what your problem is.

Maybe you should spent less time trying to have a go at me and more time paying attention to what is happening to our club.

Not sure if our recruiting since 2008 is so bad anyway. Cook and Morton were poor but we picked up gems like McDonald and Howe and Jurrah with late picks,

He also has Evans as a Hit, and bate (100 games) as a flop

Alright. I said bate was a flop simply because he is not a regular now, in hindsight it was not the right spot to place him in as he was decent when he was playing.

Evans i'm really not sure why i placed him in the hits as he has only played 2 or so games and should be in the unproven slot.

When rigoni was at his prime i didn't follow footy anywhere near as much as i do now so didn't really know much about him and just went purely by the number of games the website ( http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/td-melbourne-demons?year=2002 ) said he had played (25!) and what knowledge i had about him.

recruiting is done by the Football dept, so laying the blame at the feet of two people seems a bit silly. I would expect coaches and others would also have had a say in what types of players we wanted. The recruiters would have made recommendations based on that, it would still need the coaches tick. I think we can all agree this years draft is heavily influenced by Neeld in who and what he wanted. I cannot see any coach allowing some other bozo choose his players without his strong input.

Our past drafts were done without purpose or plan it was about a group of guys trying to pick out what they thought were under rated but talented players that other teams may not have seen, as it turns out they did not see the talent with just cause. Injuries and just our game style may have also contributed to some of our duds being duds, in other sides they may have done better.

Jurrah? 30 or so games?

Agree with Howe.

Jurrah was definitely a very good recruiters pick up, football talent and excitement-wise: he drew people to MFC games.

The pity is that he couldn't cope with the various issue presented to him off field, nor with his last injury which gave him more time to get involved with these 'non-footy issues'. One can only speculate, but had he not had that protracted hand injury he most likely would have been nowhere near Alice Springs that fateful day last year, and may well have been here exciting us again heading into next season.

recruiting is done by the Football dept, so laying the blame at the feet of two people seems a bit silly. I would expect coaches and others would also have had a say in what types of players we wanted. The recruiters would have made recommendations based on that, it would still need the coaches tick. I think we can all agree this years draft is heavily influenced by Neeld in who and what he wanted. I cannot see any coach allowing some other bozo choose his players without his strong input.

I've heard ex-coaches and current recruiters say it shouldn't be. Later on in a draft a coach may give an instruction on the type of player they want/need, but they should have no input into the actual player selected. I know some coaches have interfered over the years, but the general consensus is that it's not wise.

I've heard ex-coaches and current recruiters say it shouldn't be. Later on in a draft a coach may give an instruction on the type of player they want/need, but they should have no input into the actual player selected. I know some coaches have interfered over the years, but the general consensus is that it's not wise.

I don't think that's exactly right. I agree that the coach shouldn't have input into the actual player selected but he needs to advise the characteristics he values and the recruiter needs to be guided by those characteristics and select players that meet them.

I don't think that's exactly right. I agree that the coach shouldn't have input into the actual player selected but he needs to advise the characteristics he values and the recruiter needs to be guided by those characteristics and select players that meet them.

Is anybody suggesting that Neeld's fingerprints aren't all over every one of our picks this year? (I mean that in the nicest possible way :))

I'm not sure where we disagree.

I'm not sure where we disagree.

Since when does that mean you cant have a disagreement with someone?

• Like 1