Inside Football Drafting in July

Grimes Times

Guest KingDingAling

Pick 3 Toumpus

Pick 4 Stringer/Simpson

Thats my picks for melbourne

Simpson wont go at pick 4, I'd be surpised if he wasnt still there at 12-13.

Gun player, no doubt, but you got him too high.

And for inside footy to have Wines at 12, they obviously didnt watch the championships.

Im actually hoping we take him at 4.

I would think only one of them (Spencer). It is good to have a few compitent big men and taking Grundy now would

mean in 2-3 years when Jamar is getting older he will be mature enough to take over the number one ruck roll

or sharing it with Gawn. That would be a dominate combo a bit like Cox and Natainui is now.

Yeah, I think you might be right. But I wouldn't be surprised if Martin is offered around for a trade at years end, as i believe he is worth more game time than we are giving him, and ruckmen with a few years under their belt are worth a bit.

I've heard a lot of people on here not wanting us to get Grundy but I would love for him to slip to us. Highly talented

big men are hard to find and with pick 4,12 and Viney(fingers crossed) for midfielders we would have a very formidable centre line.

I'm warming to the idea that if either of them take Viney, then we should grab one of Whitfield or Grundy, if one slides thru.

If they play the game straight, then Toumpas or Stringer + Wines,,, & Simpson they're suggesting as silky inside & out, as a bolter. We need the inside/outside highly skilled runners.

And a pacy small Mid/Forward please.

agree.... and not to mention Troy Davis & Jai Sheehan (

Not to mention Troy Davis and Jai Sheehan as well....With a noted lack of strength in the midfield, I really can't see us going past the midfielders in this draft, unless we use a pick to trade, or mini draft to get Hogan from WA or something similar to that.

Strauss

To be honest, I think it probably improves our position.

The further he slides, the less inclined GWS and GC will be to risk losing a player like Whitfield or Grundy.

He hasn't slid anywhere, they just believe like many others that he is a pick 3, 4 or 5. Therefore they don't believe GWS or GC will nominate him at 1 or 2. He hasn't been listed in the first 23 picks as we would be able to take him at 24 regardless of who else nominates him.

If this plays out and GWS and GC do not nominate Viney we are in an unbelievable possition, and unlike the article I believe it would be the pick up of the draft, obviously because he's a gun at 24 but also the position it places us in.

I can't believe how much currency this tosh gets. It is just like reading the horoscopes. Just like all the fake psychics out there these guys play the cold read game. Everyone they list is criticism free - they're all "super quick", "best since...", "great..." and the gullible want to treat these analysts like all-knowing gods. They're ego stroking wannabes having a guess.

Guest José Mourinho

No and I don't need to see him play to know that we do not need to use a pick #4 in a super draft on a defender in our current team.

Really?

You know that Hurley was drafted as a pure defender, and Plowman is the same height and has been compared to him, albeit with better agility?

I'm a big fan of his selection, and he won't last til anywhere near pick 13.

He's also a dees supporter (if that makes a difference to you) and was singled out by TV as one player we'd looked hard at when discussing potential draftees at a club function.

You know that Hurley was drafted as a pure defender...

I don't agree with that.

Here's one profile from before the draft:

6. Michael Hurley 192cm 92kg Vic Metro

"Hurley is a very reliable footballer who has been used primarily in the back half but has a few bags of goals to his credit in TAC footy. Hurley is tall enough and physically mature to hold down a key position in AFL. A slight query for me is his pace off the mark which will make his testing interesting. What I really like about Hurley is his competitiveness- he hates to lose a contest which is reminiscent of Nathan Brown when he was with the Rebels. Worse case with this bloke is getting Simon Prestigiacomo while he could be quite a bit more than that."

And this from another:

"Another string he does have to his bow is the fact that he has played a lot of TAC Cup footy at CHF. He has kicked bags of 6 a couple of times and has also kicked 2 or 3 goals from CHF in numerous games."

There's no doubt that in the main he was considered a key defender, but his exploits up forward in the TAC were well known.

Edited by Ben-Hur

Guest José Mourinho

Fair enough.

Well, I considered him a defender.

Kinda like the way Stephen Silvagni was able to go forward and kick goals, but was really a defender who was simply capable of also having an influence up forward.

In any case, I see Plowman as being similarly capable of moving forward if needed, or even onto a win or in the middle.

No and I don't need to see him play to know that we do not need to use a pick #4 in a super draft on a defender in our current team.

So you've never seen him play, thats OK he could be the next coming of Scarlett or be able to play as a tall mid fielder, he's same height as Scott Pendelbury but thats Ok you have never seen him play.

So you've never seen him play, thats OK he could be the next coming of Scarlett or be able to play as a tall mid fielder, he's same height as Scott Pendelbury but thats Ok you have never seen him play.

Any player in the draft 'could' be something so I do not see it as being a factor when drafting.

We want players who 'are' something.

I'm not so sure. Having read and listened a fair bit I believe he's considered a 5-15 proposition and has been for some time.

Agree with this belief. I also believe Joe Daniher would be rated a 1-3 proposition, so I think the Bombers will get a steal for F/S.

Fair enough.

Well, I considered him a defender.

Kinda like the way Stephen Silvagni was able to go forward and kick goals, but was really a defender who was simply capable of also having an influence up forward.

In any case, I see Plowman as being similarly capable of moving forward if needed, or even onto a win or in the middle.

Jose, I've not seen Plowman but you give him a good rap so I was hoping you could give us a rundown on him from your point of view and where you see him being good for MFC.

Jose, I've not seen Plowman but you give him a good rap so I was hoping you could give us a rundown on him from your point of view and where you see him being good for MFC.

I haven’t seen Plowman play either. I do keep hearing and reading that he is very highly rated by a number of clubs, to the point where I was surprised just how well regarded he was. I believe he has some potential to play in the midfield.

This is from an article that broadly looked at the boys at Calder prior to/early in the TAC Cup season. Daniher, McBean, O’Rourke and Rory Atkins were also briefly profiled:

Lachie Plowman (Macedon) (190cm, 81kg)

Key defenders are hard to find. Ones which can negate opponents and punish on the rebound with pinpoint skills, like Plowman, are even harder. Still growing, but looks a special talent.

Kyte (Ian, coach Calder Cannons) says: "He's going to hold a key position. I think he'll hold centre half-back the majority of the year and be a very good player. He has this real poise, when he gets the ball he has time and he delivers it really well. He plays his footy like he lives his life, always enjoying it with a smile on his face.

I know we have a number of players who play KPD, and by and large they’ve done very well defensively, given the frequent ball coming into the defensive 50.

However, how many could we honestly say are very good to elite by foot? We’ve had a number of problems this year, some appear to be related to game style change and development, but a constant has been poor transition from defence to attack. We’ve been hurt a lot from turnovers coming out of defence. No good repelling an attack and beating your man if you just give it straight back and cough up a score.

Watt’s playing back has helped, and James Strauss will help going forward, but I still view it as a weakness at this stage.

Edited by ChaserJ

I haven’t seen Plowman play either. I do keep hearing and reading that he is very highly rated by a number of clubs, to the point where I was surprised just how well regarded he was. I believe he has some potential to play in the midfield.

This is from an article that broadly looked at the boys at Calder prior to/early in the TAC Cup season. Daniher, McBean, O’Rourke and Rory Atkins were also briefly profiled:

Lachie Plowman (Macedon) (190cm, 81kg)

Key defenders are hard to find. Ones which can negate opponents and punish on the rebound with pinpoint skills, like Plowman, are even harder. Still growing, but looks a special talent.

Kyte (Ian, coach Calder Cannons) says: "He's going to hold a key position. I think he'll hold centre half-back the majority of the year and be a very good player. He has this real poise, when he gets the ball he has time and he delivers it really well. He plays his footy like he lives his life, always enjoying it with a smile on his face.

Sounds a bit like Tommy Mac