Well Toumpas will most likely get drafted in picks 3 and 4 if we have those as Whitfield is touted as being a clear number #1 and GWS are in desperate need of a good ruckmand Grundy.

But yeah there is a risk to it, just thought that it wouldn't hurt as a sweetener for Boak to pass on him as currently Port would have the next pick after ours.

One of our biggest advantages in attracting Boak is the same thing that got us Clark .... we can get the deal done.

We have pick 4 so Boak knows that he can get here easily. Geelong will have two picks at about 20 so a deal will be tough.

I like the sound of 4 and 13 for Boak and 7, but if it is just a straight pick 4 swap then I'd probably been fine with it. He is a strong midfielder with pace, so he's definitely the type we need.

• Like 2

i tell you what - if by some stroke of fate Cloke is a demon and Boak and at least two other midfielders arent then I think Ill be very dissappointed.

Cloke won't be a Demon, and if by the very slim chance he is he doesn't cost us any draft picks. I think we are playing cat and mouse with Collingwood, Cloke isn't our target we are trying to squeeze another target out.

Cloke won't be a Demon, and if by the very slim chance he is he doesn't cost us any draft picks. I think we are playing cat and mouse with Collingwood, Cloke isn't our target we are trying to squeeze another target out.

Good call mate - I really hope that this is right.

Clokes price is only so high is because clubs dont need to give up any draft picks/players to another club

If he wasn't a free agent then his price would probably struggle to even be half of that.

Clokes price is only so high is because clubs dont need to give up any draft picks/players to another club

If he wasn't a free agent then his price would probably struggle to even be half of that.

I understand that, but my point is that he is the last thing we need at the moment. We lack class all over the ground and certainly in the forward 50, but we are routinely smashed in the midfield - infact the discrepency here is shocking.

I understand that, but my point is that he is the last thing we need at the moment. We lack class all over the ground and certainly in the forward 50, but we are routinely smashed in the midfield - infact the discrepency here is shocking.

But sadly what we have spare for Cloke (Money) cannot be used on any mids as there are no free-agents mids available good enough for that type of coin.

But sadly what we have spare for Cloke (Money) cannot be used on any mids as there are no free-agents mids available good enough for that type of coin.

And that is precisely why we should use our first picks on gun U-18's,,, & it may mean Boak will be expensive in terms of trade picks as well as contract $$$$.$$

Maybe we should trade a few picks - its not like we have a track record of success in that regard in recent times (choices and development)

Agreed, trade a few picks, trade Dunn, Davey, Maybe Martin, Moloney, for picks or players... trade our 3rd Rnd & 4th Rnd picks for mature bodies.

Keep our 1st Rnd picks, honestly I think I'd rather a chance at Kennedy, or Colcohoun with P13, than Boak + a player....

Maybe we should trade a few picks - its not like we have a track record of success in that regard in recent times (choices and development)

Richmond stuffed up top 20 picks in Oakley-Nichols, Richard Tambling, Danny Meyer, Adam Pattison and Dean Polo, none of whom are still at the club. Hawthorn chose Beau Dowler, Luke Brennan, and Mitch Thorpe in the top 10. But both of those clubs have also chosen quality players in Franklin, Roughead, Lewis, Martin, Deledio and Cotchin as top 10 picks. Should those clubs have traded those precious picks ?

And you talk of development. Neeld has been at the club for one preseason. How about giving him an opportunity to develop some top end talent.

I can't believe this mentality that because we've made some mistakes in the past we can't possibly get them right in the future. And no doubt the dolts that are wanting to trade top end picks for B graders are the same that will cry like stuck pigs in four years time when the pick we've traded ends up being for a budding star of the competition. By all means get Boak, but firstly he needs to be convinced that the MFC is a viable option and if he does then get to work on doing a deal that may involve pick 13 and a player. Port aren't going to let him walk for nothing. It's not as if they'll have the whip hand.

Pick 4 is over the odds, especially with the talent on offer in this draft..

• Like 6

I would want 4 for Boak if I was PA but I am not, so I agree with BH on this one.

We have to back ourselves to get them right.

Only trade it if an out-and-out star comes up for bid.

Although I would give Pick 4 for the 17 year old mini draft, but only if a player or Pick 13 is included and we get BOTH picks.

Because I am struggling to see the great plus in giving Pick 4 for a talent that would probably be just as good a bet.

• Like 2

i want him. he's a gun mid, who gets the ball, delivers the ball, and kicks goals.

like jones, he's been left to solder together some form of midfield with little to no help.

a midfield of boak, jones, jmc2.0, trengove, grimes, viney, at least one other class recruit from this draft, plus hopefully gysberts (who i think has enormous potential - such a dirty word!) is potentially (there it is again!) very exciting.

i would imagine everything will come down to whether he's determined to go to geelong or not. my opinion still remains that it's the cats or the power for trav.

given our parlous ladder position, we are of course in the ideal spot to nab him if he does become available, having #4, #14 to play with.

a lot will come down to viney's f/s selection - if we can get him with our second round pick, then #3 and #4 makes for an even better bargaining position.

in an ideal world we keep both of those, get boak for #13, and viney for our second round pick.

essendon want him - they chased him hard last time - but will have to commit to daniher with their first round selection, which would be far too late to satisfy port regardless. footscray might be in with a shot if they want to trade their first pick, but i would doubt it. we shall see.

As much as I like Toumpas he's only one player. Port will be very keen for Toumpas being a SA lad and I suppose there is merit in swapping picks 4 and 7, plus sending over a player and landing Boak. With Melbourne having pick 3 they could virtually hand-deliver Toumpas to Port at pick 4. Pick 4 is obviously compensation for the rodent and it's a fair argument to say that Boak is as good, or better than the rodent, plus we got 13. We really have done well with the Scully compensation, which is why the club may be willing to part with 4 when they may be more reluctant under normal circumstances. Scully for Boak and pick 13 is a win for the club, which may be their view. I treat pick 4 in isolation, i.e. on its stand alone merits, which is why my instinct is to say it's overs, but it is true to say that the club will want mature bodies asap.

Wines is probably not worth pick 4, but may be gone by 13, so Port's approx. pick at 7 has some attraction. I just have to back the club that they orchestrate the best outcome possible. I'd like to see how Caddy could come into play, but 13 may not be enough seeing he was a top 10 pick.

Imagine an off-season that saw Boak, Caddy, Viney and Wines lining up in round one next year ? You'd transform your midfield over night, especially if Trengove recovers his spark and Gysberts has a great preseason.

It's probably a stretch to get both Boak and caddy.

Nice post B-H, until I got to the last line. Boak, Caddy, Viney and Wines,,, If we got Boak & Viney, I don't think we would need Caddy & Wines. But moreso, Stringer, & Mayes.

2 hard inside types would be more than enough, but we'd need skilled inside run'n'carry players

• Like 1

Nice post B-H, until I got to the last line. Boak, Caddy, Viney and Wines,,, If we got Boak & Viney, I don't think we would need Caddy & Wines. But moreso, Stringer, & Mayes.

2 hard inside types would be more than enough, but we'd need skilled inside run'n'carry players

True.

Or Jack Martin

Or Jack Martin

I'm nervous about backing whippets from long range. Hes long way out. Small lean & U-17.. the raps on him are good, but skinny kids,,, again. Hogan is a hulk at 17yrs.

However if Whitfield slides, we'd be way better off there, with his light but well known frame.

I think for mine, my hopes are solidifying on Toumpas, Stringer/Mayes with 3 & 4, & a Kennedy/Colcohoun type around P13,,, & Viney @ 2nd Rnd, or if he's gone north, then maybe Rory Atkins or another small type.

Everyone here is in furious agreement about the state of our midfield. However, we should be able to address the midfield very effectively THIS draft period. I hope this will entail recruiting some very high quality junior mids and an established midfielder from another club.

However, we cannot kick a winning score at the moment. This is not only due to our poor midfield - it's due to the poor state of our forward line. For instance, I think we had more inside 50s than the Lions recently and got belted.

Mitch Clark has single handedly kept us in games this year. His absence has shown how important imposing talls are in a modern day forward line, and unfortunately also to our team in particular.

And that's why the club is having a red hot crack at getting Cloke. If we landed him, literally overnight we'd have one of the most dangerous forward lines in the competition.

But that doesn't mean the club won't also focus on the engine room.

It actually surprises me to see any debate on this. At all.

• Like 1