Will Martin get his chance back or will they give Cook a go....

Hells Gates

They're not my thoughts sunshine. That what I was told by someone with impeccable contacts.

So feel free to disagree, I couldn't care less what you think.

Must have some pretty good connections from all the way in Perth if what your saying is true about Martin!

IMO, humble as it is, I like the look of Jai Sheahan - sorry if I stuffed up the name. Bloke has genuine star quality in the mould of an Isaac Smith

I would say that up to a third of the total team of some affiliate teams are made up of senior players out of form, coming back from injury etc. Look at Casey on the weekend. A total of 12 MFC listed players were in that match, 5 of which have played senior AFL footy this year.

I've not seen Cook play so I'll refrain from saying whether he is ready or not. Watts looked scrawny and un-co when he played QB 2009.

At some stage we need to blood these young men like Cook. A game here and there won't hurt and it will do no harm to his development - injuries aside. Look at all the lightly framed kids that have played for GWS and GC since their inception?

What's the worst that can happen to him? Get pushed out of a contest?

Bring him!

That is exactly my point we played watts too early and imo it held him back.

I don't think Cook looks as ready as Watts looked.

Only my opinion McQueen I do not think he is ready physically.

"That what I was told by someone with impeccable contacts"........

There's nothing like passing on information Chook

It doesnt have to be gospel but it sure beats the hell out of 'passionate' amateur guesswork, and there has to be a reason that Stef came on so well last year but shows no sign of continuing his improvement this season

Not sure how you work that one out IRW

He has been out injured half of the games this year and is only now getting fit via Casey.

It is a bit hard to improve if you are not playing!

Why does a mental image of Jack Darling keep flashing through my mind while I read this thread?

Just remember that Jack won't get any better, he will always only be as good as he is now, there is absolutely no room for improvement, whereas......

But this is not a thread about how good Darling is it's about how good Cook will be and at the moment he's doing really well at Casey.

Couch didn't get many more though.

Was talking to Paul Couch down at the club today. He is probably itching more than his son for him to get a callup. It was pretty funny, he was all excited but said hes been like that all year. He is desperate for Tom to get a game but said it was maybe Magner that was keeping Tom out (not in a bad way).

FWIW he really likes the look of Lucas Cook and doesn’t mind Davis, were his words.

Anyway just thought I'd share.

• Like 2

Couch didn't get many more though.

I think Couch is closer than Cook. Cook may surprise me and turn out ok but at the moment he is just coming to terms with the game at Casey and it's a long way from there to AFL; to put him in would be stupid and would achieve little.

Also to equate him to Watts is simple in the extreme, Watts was thrown in to get a few bums on seats for the QB game and I doubt that there would be any more that Cook's family as extras if he got a game some time soon.

BTW i wasn't suggesting that you said he should be in just throwing that in.

• Like 1

A lot of Stef Martin hate, when in reality he is miles and miles ahead of any second ruck option we have on our list (and that includes Mitch Clark who should never be risked in the ruck anyway *sob*).

With Rivers and Garland possibly moving forward more permanently, Stef could easily shuffle down back when not rucking.

He should play this week, and I believe he will.

We forget so quickly, but he was one of our best players last year and came on in leaps and bounds. Injury has ruined his season thus far.

• Like 3

Or we could of drafted Darling and he'd be playing.

Those waiting on Cook, seriously, talk about clutching at straws.

And we've come full circle.

Please someone complain about drafting Watts ahead of Nic Nat and this thread will be complete.

• Like 2

Martin looks like tarazan and plays like jane..well actually more like Andrew Bogut. he is not a natural footballer. He is tall and built but doesn't use it and can't hold a grab to save himself. He has been given his chances and unfortunately fits in to the melbourne category of 'i like the idea of being a football but.....'.

Seasons like this throw up opportunities...its time to stop baby-ing these 'kids'. he may be skinny but will only learn in time, but cook, in the absence of clark deserves the call up. i saw his game for casey last weekend and i think he will show a bit if given the opportunity.

• Like 2

Certainly Martin adds size, skill & ruck attribute to his game.

Or will they blood the youngster in Lucas Cook at full forward.

I think Martin may get the nod ahead but its a good time for Cook to step up.

Thoughts....?

How about you try mounting an argument instead of rabbiting off random, disconnected thoughts??

How about you try mounting an argument instead of rabbiting off random, disconnected thoughts??

Are you a natural hypocrite?

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 1

A lot of Stef Martin hate, when in reality he is miles and miles ahead of any second ruck option we have on our list (and that includes Mitch Clark who should never be risked in the ruck anyway *sob*).

With Rivers and Garland possibly moving forward more permanently, Stef could easily shuffle down back when not rucking.

He should play this week, and I believe he will.

We forget so quickly, but he was one of our best players last year and came on in leaps and bounds. Injury has ruined his season thus far.

Spot on Jaded a lot are conviently forgetting this fact

I guarantee you Martin will play for MFC this week.

This. Martin actually did nothing wrong when he played earlier in the year, then got injured, and has worked back through Casey. He is our natural second ruckman, and is a MUCH better around the ground player than Jamar. This guy has been stuffed around for 3 years, and needs to be given a chance once and for all. Just put him in the team a leave him there. At the expense of Jamar if necessary.

Hypocrite. Laughable. Maybe you should bury your head into some of your own waffle before insulting others.

Cheers for the photos of Cook, McQueen. He looks like he will be a monster and has the frame to fill out. Cheers.