Mike Sheahan Article

Ouch!

Criticism is fine but where is the intelligent criticism? The depth of analysis? Both oxymoronic terms when it comes to the Herald Sun.

It is a sad indictment on the quality of football journalism in this country that Mike Sheahan was for decades considered the doyen of it.

• Like 2

"I could employ words and expressions such as 'pathetic', 'disgusting', 'unacceptable' and 'mind-boggling', yet, as stark as they are, they aren't really adequate.

"There's a sense of hopelessness this time, and hopeless is as low as it can ever get.

Demoniac's view on the Facile Football Media

Not sure if it's been posted here or in another thread but there's a good article on Gerard Whateley's blog.

Obviously Neeld has come in and decided to start from scratch, but the article offers another possible process. I can't really see Neeld changing his ways though.

The MFC is getting more bad press than Julia Gillard at the moment. You'd think the world will end based on our performances.

No, Julia is worse off!

The good news is she will be gone at the next election and MFC will still be around, despite MFC's current problems!!!

The media circus is a joke........ Calling for the head of the coach, who only had one pre-season......what a joke! They have all been sucked in, while the club gathers better picks and a fitter list for the 2013 season....

The players are being trained hard.....harder than any other club in the league.....when the other clubs are recovering, the MFC players are training........effectively tanking the 2012 season, for a better 2013 season.....

the compensation picks are in play and are getting better by the day.......

As hard as it is for the members/supporters to watch, it's the best move for this club going forward.......

2013 will be worth all this pain.......

• Like 1

How many team would have this type of stuff written about them and still not come out firing.

Let me guess

One

In all seriousness FYD we are seriously short of AFL level players

If you don't have the talent it does not matter how hard you try.

This is what grates me. We are completely unable to respond.

That is exactly why they do it....we are the easiest of targets....It Sells Newspapers and advertising space.

The Paper knows it will win....to them, we are on our own.

Remember what they did to Terry Wallace...regardless of his coaching record, the Newspaper persecution was truly scary with that one.

Let me guess

One

In all seriousness FYD we are seriously short of AFL level players

If you don't have the talent it does not matter how hard you try.

This is rubbish 'old dee'. On average, every AFL list has similar talent, albeit at various stages of development. There are some 800 players on AFL lists and all were chosen because they had very good basic football talent. The real issue is how that talent is nurtured when young, and managed when older - that's a coach's job!

This is rubbish 'old dee'. On average, every AFL list has similar talent, albeit at various stages of development. There are some 800 players on AFL lists and all were chosen because they had very good basic football talent. The real issue is how that talent is nurtured when young, and managed when older - that's a coach's job!

Sorry I cannot agree some clubs have a lot better talent than others.

In our wildest dreams we have no where near the talent of Collingwood, geelong, West Coast, Hawthorn, Essendon, Sydney and St Kilda

And the scores of the last 12 weeks prove it.

There are 10 players on our list that would not be selected by the top 8 teams if we were giving them away

We have a poor list it is that simple.

Loving your work Jackie!

I once saw CS on the Grassy Knoll and at Cheviot Beach!

I love 'Jackie's' work too, and your own isn't bad!

CS on the Grassy Knoll and at Cheviot Beach, certainly paints two different sides to his character!

You missed the key point of my comment 'old dee'. I was not saying all sides are currently equal, as clearly a team that wins the flag is most likely better than a team that finishes bottom. However, their lists may still be similar in talent, but at different stages of development. Football really is a simple game, it just requires good coaching.

I love 'Jackie's' work too, and your own isn't bad!

CS on the Grassy Knoll and at Cheviot Beach, certainly paints two different sides to his character!

Hardnut I was actually on "the Grassy Knoll" 3 weeks ago.

Interesting bit of history.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

You missed the key point of my comment 'old dee'. I was not saying all sides are currently equal, as clearly a team that wins the flag is most likely better than a team that finishes bottom. However, their lists may still be similar in talent, but at different stages of development. Football really is a simple game, it just requires good coaching.

I may have hardnut But I still think we are seriously short of good Mature players

I may have hardnut But I still think we are seriously short of good Mature players

I agree old dee, and I'm glad you enjoyed the 'Grassy Knoll history' - last year I enjoyed the 'Battle Road history' out of Boston (War of Independence) but Hurricane Irene won the battle for the rest of my trip!

Guest Jackie

I don't think our list is too bad and Neeld could be a good coach too. What is obvious to me the players are not playing for the club and they haven't since last year. That I blame on an incompetent self serving administration who have betrayed the players and dragged this club down to the lowest possible level. I can expect ongoing mediocrity sprinkled with regular scapegoats continuing for as long as the current old boys administration remains. Hopefully the board will come to their senses soon and rid the club of these turbulent meddlers soon. The future of the club is at the crossroads.

Edited by Jackie

I don't think our list is too bad and Neeld could be a good coach too. What is obvious to me the players are not playing for the club and they haven't since last year. That I blame on an incompetent self serving administration who have betrayed the players and dragged this club down to the lowest possible level. I can expect ongoing mediocrity sprinkled with regular scapegoats continuing for as long as the current old boys administration remains. Hopefully the board will come to their senses soon and rid the club of these turbulent meddlers soon. The future of the club is at the crossroads.

I agree Jackie, although I am not convinced on Neeld. I also wonder whether some on the Board may be part of the problem?