Ling to Melbourne/ Get Cam Ling

rjay

I've seen a few posts lately about bringing Lloyd to Melbourne and others about Royal as midfield coach,the development of our mids etc. So let me throw this one out there.

We could do a lot worse than pursue Cameron Ling to be our midfield coach next year.

When he retired he said he wanted a year away from football and would spend some time in the media before considering his next move. With the respect he holds in the football world for his ability, leadership, work ethic and not to mention he seems to be a pretty decent bloke, he would be a great addition to our coaching structure.

• Like 2

Guest José Mourinho

A lot of his time is tied up with his construction business down around Torquay, and the weekend boundary-riding working suits him and doesn't dominate his time.

From what I am told.

I've seen a few posts lately about bringing Lloyd to Melbourne and others about Royal as midfield coach,the development of our mids etc. So let me throw this one out there.

We could do a lot worse than pursue Cameron Ling to be our midfield coach next year.

When he retired he said he wanted a year away from football and would spend some time in the media before considering his next move. With the respect he holds in the football world for his ability, leadership, work ethic and not to mention he seems to be a pretty decent bloke, he would be a great addition to our coaching structure.

Not to mention being an integral part of one of the best sides to ever play the game. I bet this guy wakes up in the morning and p*sses success

Edited by DeeTermination

A lot of his time is tied up with his construction business down around Torquay, and the weekend boundary-riding working suits him and doesn't dominate his time.

From what I am told.

Yeah good point.

He has really set himself up well outside of football, but the call of the game can sometimes draw you back in. James Hird is an example of that and even his ex coach who has a lot of outside interests. It certainly wouldn't hurt us to at least approach him.

The influence he could have on our young mids like Trengove, Grimes, Taggert, McKenzie, Viney,and draft picks could be similar to when Ratten was at Melbourne and how he helped Scotty Thompson's development, pity we lost him.

The GWS model is one that interests me. Cornflakes Thomas commented on it in his recent blog, about the strong link between Power, Brogan, Cornes as playing assistant and the impact it has had on the young group. Not a bad idea to me.

Having seem Leigh Brown get in and give it to them at training it is an interesting proposition.

Yeah good point.

He has really set himself up well outside of football, but the call of the game can sometimes draw you back in. James Hird is an example of that and even his ex coach who has a lot of outside interests. It certainly wouldn't hurt us to at least approach him.

The influence he could have on our young mids like Trengove, Grimes, Taggert, McKenzie, Viney,and draft picks could be similar to when Ratten was at Melbourne and how he helped Scotty Thompson's development, pity we lost him.

Our midfield has suffered ever since Ratten left..........
  • Like 1

'The bloke was a good player and made some comments on TV I like, so he would be a really good Coach'...?

I'm not having a crack at the idea of Ling in particular, but this seems to be the thinking when posts pop up every now and then about getting X former player in as Coach.

Scott Thompson was never going to stay - he was homesick.

Having said that, Ling would be a great acquisition.

Ling and Lloyd?

I agree jr I have said elsewhere that he did not want to be drafted outside of Adelaide.

Came for the required first contract period then went home.

No amount of money was going to change that.

It was the plan pre the draft.

From what I am told.

not sure it's construction, but he just about owns half of geelong with a few restaurants, bars etc. I think he's also coaching Geelong Grammar.

Guest José Mourinho

not sure it's construction, but he just about owns half of geelong with a few restaurants, bars etc. I think he's also coaching Geelong Grammar.

I have a mate that works for him. Ling has a decent-sized domestic construction business.

He also has a stake in about 4 or 5 pubs around Geelong, as part of a business group with 4 other prominent geelong businessmen, including The Edge, Gold Diggers Arms, Lamby's Tavern and I'm fairly certain he has a stake in CQ (the Geelong version).

Get him if he's available - simple as that. He has the three key ingredients: great skills, great work ethic, discipline. Also he seems articulte enough to communicate to the players. Agree with the above post that our midfield development went downhill after Ratten left.

I agree jr I have said elsewhere that he did not want to be drafted outside of Adelaide.

Came for the required first contract period then went home.

No amount of money was going to change that.

It was the plan pre the draft.

At least he came. *cough* Jarman *cough*

Would be a fantastic appointment. We should try even if it's an outside chance. GWS pursued and landed Brett Kirk in a similar mentoring role for their young midfield and you can see his 'winning imprint' already forming on them.

Royal has to go. He's been singularly unimpressive every time I've heard him speak.

Edited by Range Rover
  • Like 1

Ratten was good for MFC because in 2004 he had an all conquering AA ruckman in Jeff White and a first dibs midfielder in Scott Thompson. When Thompson got injured and White tired towards the end of the year, the midfield went to water .....with Ratten in charge.

I am not sure unless you are within the Footy Dept or have close quarter access to it that you can make an informed assessment of incumbent. And before posters get their "rocks" off on a "big name" appointment for positions, I am not sure what can be achieved when you dont have the talent in the cattle where it counts most.

Royal has to go. He's been singularly unimpressive every time I've heard him speak.

In those 15 second sound grabs with the boundary riders at the end of 1st and 3rd qtr breaks.

Ratten was good for MFC because in 2004 he had an all conquering AA ruckman in Jeff White and a first dibs midfielder in Scott Thompson. When Thompson got injured and White tired towards the end of the year, the midfield went to water .....with Ratten in charge.

I am not sure unless you are within the Footy Dept or have close quarter access to it that you can make an informed assessment of incumbent. And before posters get their "rocks" off on a "big name" appointment for positions, I am not sure what can be achieved when you dont have the talent in the cattle where it counts most.

In those 15 second sound grabs with the boundary riders at the end of 1st and 3rd qtr breaks.

I've heard him speak several times on SEN.

Agree with your call on our cattle but only as it stands now. Let's see how things are shaping up after trade week/draft period. Hopefully the midfield will have a whole different complexion to it.

• Like 1

Scott Thompson was never going to stay - he was homesick.

Having said that, Ling would be a great acquisition.

Ling and Lloyd?

Everyone has a price. We should have made sure we found his.

I've heard him speak several times on SEN.

Agree with your call on our cattle but only as it stands now. Let's see how things are shaping up after trade week/draft period. Hopefully the midfield will have a whole different complexion to it.

You are hardly going to get anything intellectual on SEN, now really.

We have lacked class in the midfield since Scott Thompson left in 2004. We have had wall paper patches and poor solutions since then. What ever we get in this years draft/trade will take 2 to 3 years to turn it around.

• Like 1

I remember Scotty Thompson in the midfield early and he just looked like a star. Bruce had some great seasons - one in particular where he was brownlow favourite as well until Guerra... But from the time we lost Thompson things have been downhill.

IF he was interested, he would be a massive acquisition. Could I go as far as saying a club saving one?