Mark Stevens raises tanking

Jonesbag

I strongly supported it in 2009, but it was a massive emotional drain that I still haven't recovered from. I couldn't support it again I don't think.

Plus I don't think there's any need. Just like in 2008, I think we're about bad enough to lose enough games on merit anyway.

• Like 6

obviously we lack quality in the midfield and i think its the key to success. If we use the 3 first rounders we have on quality mids then our 'rebuild' might only be this year

I strongly supported it in 2009, but it was a massive emotional drain that I still haven't recovered from. I couldn't support it again I don't think.

Plus I don't think there's any need. Just like in 2008, I think we're about bad enough to lose enough games on merit anyway.

And we 'tanked' one game in Rd 18 of 2009.

Anyone talking about tanking in Rd 3 is a little misguided - to put it politely.

• Like 1

Have you seen us play this year? Much like every other season since 2007, we're hardly in a position to pick and choose which games we'll win. There was a good piece on tanking in the NBA on ESPN today:

http://espn.go.com/b...-tell-the-truth

Footy fans like to throw around the work 'tanker' as an insult, but the reality is, that in any sensible sporting league with a draft at the end of each season, there will be a certain number of teams who don't make it to the finals. What is the best thing for these teams to do when their seasons are shot to pieces? Play all the old guys and try to eke out an extra win or two? Or get as many games into the younger players, have injured players operated on, try players in different positions, and better your draft position and future prospects? I know as a supporter which I prefer. Even before the draft era, bottom teams would be more likely to get inured players operated on rather than risk serious injury as would happen through playing in finals. It's just sensible list management.

If you're talking about tanking as losing on purpose, well there's just never going to be enough evidence to mount a good enough case that teams do this. Every player goes out there to win - it's their careers on the line. Bailey's zany moves against Richmond in 2009 were no worse than the side-splittingly comical matchups he STARTED the 186 game with.

Every club would have participated in some form of tanking/list management, however slight on the spectrum. It has helped or been essential in some clubs winning premierships - West Coast of 2006, Hawthorn of 2008, Collingwood of 2010 come to mind immediately. That example from the ESPN article I posted has another good example. One key thing Melbourne failed to do in all of this that the other clubs did well (in addition to failing to draft superstars), was surrounding these young draft picks with top class experienced players.

We won't have to lose games deliberately to get our hands on good picks this year. I just want to see us start to play some good football, and these kids begin to realise their potential.

Edited by pantaloons
  • Like 9

And we 'tanked' one game in Rd 18 of 2009.

Anyone talking about tanking in Rd 3 is a little misguided - to put it politely.

I know it was only one game, but it was a full season of internal conflict for me.

• Like 1

I know it was only one game, but it was a full season of internal conflict for me.

Why was that?

I know I was on here constantly defending Bailey for the youth approach and always hammering the "we are crap, all we are trying to do is be 'valuably' crap" which can be draining but we weren't doing what we did (and nearly effed up) against Richmond the entire year.

It's all moot as we got our comeuppance in the form of the simpleton we recruited instead of Martin.

Anyway, we are in Rd 3 and are playing much worse than anyone at the club wants I am sure.

We tried to tank one game in 2007 & lost! :blink:

Riley had three retrirements in Rd 22, 2007, we never attempted to tank - caretaker coaches rarely tank, unless they are assured of a job if they tank...

On an entirely unrelated note - Matthew Lappin retired in Rd 21, 2007 with Ratten as caretaker...

The perception has begun. Thanks journo's.

Will this club ever get rid of its soft tag?

I really don't know how i can get through another season of Tanking even if it is only percieved.

It is a heavy weight to carry. I am still waiting for the rewards of the first tank.

The sad reality is that we arent TRYING to play this badly...we just are. Far too simplistic for the 'expanded' minds of the 4th Estate.

Yep..were just that bad at present..

It's all moot as we got our comeuppance in the form of the simpleton we recruited instead of Martin.

Trengove a simpleton?? :o

I am still waiting for the rewards of the first tank.

So far he is co captain with Grimes. Hang in there.

You should know the media better than that to react to puff pastry articles.

Trengove a simpleton?? :o

perhaps....that.....other one ??? lol

nice article of 'convenience' raising the tanking issue, then cowardly suggesting it can't be called tanking at round 3 right at the end of the article.

make the big headline then retract the insinuation right at the end. pathetic article.

Mark Stevens is apporaching the Jon Ralph school of utter gutter journalism, saying anything just to sell some papers whether its true or not. Then in this case not even standing by your thoughts.

• Like 2

Riley had three retrirements in Rd 22, 2007, we never attempted to tank - caretaker coaches rarely tank, unless they are assured of a job if they tank...

On an entirely unrelated note - Matthew Lappin retired in Rd 21, 2007 with Ratten as caretaker...

My understanding is that Riley was told how he caretakes would go towards his application for senior coach. Doh!

However after beating them in Rd 14 that year with an insipid performance, we would have had to not turn up (or play them in Perth) to have lost.

nice article of 'convenience' raising the tanking issue, then cowardly suggesting it can't be called tanking at round 3 right at the end of the article.

make the big headline then retract the insinuation right at the end. pathetic article.

Mark Stevens is apporaching the Jon Ralph school of utter gutter journalism, saying anything just to sell some papers whether its true or not. Then in this case not even standing by your thoughts.

approaching ?

Nah...he's there :huh:

If we can manage to finish on the bottom, I think there's every need. we get pick 1, 2, 9, and Jack Viney as a 2nd round selection. 3 picks in the top 10 in a so called strong draft, has to have some appeal doesn't it? Gives us a fair bit to offer as trade to get a start mid too.

I'm already emotionally drained, so seeing another 19 losses won't impact me too greatly. Actually, I just want to see us beat GWS. Anything else and I couldn't care less to be honest, not for 2012 anyway.

• Like 1