Am I asking too much?

TheVoice

Am I expecting too much?

Watching the Hawthorn & Collingwood, Geelong & Fremantle and hell even some of the Carlton & Richmond game and I find myself entertained by some exciting, high quality football that we have come to expect from AFL standard footballers. Sitting down to watch my beloved Demons against the Lions today and i find my satisfaction with the quality of football on display diminishing by the quarter. Long stagnate bombs into the forward line to awaiting Lion defenders, Token forward line pressure acts performed merely to give the impression of intent to chase or smother and inability to man up on awaiting Brisbane outside runners peppering our backline with instinctive and varied inside 50 entries. 

Granted my level of bias towards Melbourne and my passion to see them do well may taint the impartial view I have when watching other games but what if I didnt barrack for Melbourne? Would I find this game entertaining? Would I see the quality of football produced by Melbourne acceptable compared to the AFL standard?

There are a number of players on our list that simply need to watch the quality of football produced by probably 80% of the competition and ask themselves if they are doing the same. Do their skills, intensity, footy smarts and intent measure up? And if not why not?

This is not a round 1 beat up or an over reaction to a single loss, simply a passionate, concerned and somewhat strained patient Melbourne supporter who longs to proudly boast of his teams performances to his so called mates and hated work colleagues. Is that too much to ask?

• Like 2

You're going to have to sit tight, we are a long long way away from being a team we can boast about!

You're not expecting too much as a supporter, but it's unrealistic expectation of this group.

That James Magner can come into our side for his first game straight from the VFL and be our best for the day highlights exactly where we are at with our list!

• Like 2

That James Magner can come into our side for his first game straight from the VFL and be our best for the day highlights exactly where we are at with our list!

Poor example considering Barlow was BOG for Fremantle in his first game, in a side that went on to finish 6th that year

This is about culture within the playing group. It's festering now and will take a while to eliminate. We are years away from being the kind of team you and other supporters want to watch play the game.

I'll say one thing. If we lose to GWS at home, I'll consider tossing it in.

I said this tonight (or something similar)...

I enjoy watching the Gold Coast Suns. While I never will have a 2nd team, the Suns are fantastic. The fact that there is every possible chacne that they will ose the game they are playing, they never EVER give less than 100%. Their senior players, Ablett, Brown, Rischtelli, Harbrow, they put in, and because of this, their kids put in 100% too. Even if their senior players are tagged out of the game, the kids know that there is only one level to play at. They know that if they play at that level, they can walk off with their heads held high, regardless of the result".

There is nothing "Melbourne" about the above.

• Like 2

Same when Scully came and the players were in awe of his fitness and professional attitude.

Had the good sense to take the money and run.

And we thought he was stupid.

• Like 1

You're going to have to sit tight, we are a long long way away from being a team we can boast about!

Unfortunately true, but it got a family reunion in my house......

My Essendon supporting brother, who I have not heard from in more than a couple of months (largely due to his heinously awful girlfriend, although that is totally besides the point right now, sorry folks) decided that he would actually make contact simply to poke fun at this result. I chose the lesser of two evils and didn't answer.

Thus I spent the night cheering for North to knock over the Bombers for some little payback, but unfortunately no go.

Unhappy MFC families playing together up here in Sydney :) !!!

Edited by QueenC

I'll say one thing. If we lose to GWS at home, I'll consider tossing it in.

I said exactly the same thing to someone last night - the scary thing is it is not outside the realms of possibility. If GWS show the same intent and attack on the footy and contest as they did in round 1 and they have Scully & Power back in there is a very real possibility they will roll us. Add in Patton (who I don't think is playing this year due to injury) and they already look like they are ahead of us after they have played one game in their entire history.

I smell another 1965-1986 era coming along.

Yes it does have that smell

There is no way we would survive another one of those periods Cudi.

In this modern era the MFC would be done and dusted.