Melbourne Football Club Commencement Dinner

Whispering_Jack

In my list of topics I'd be surprised if there aren't enough there to fill 10 mimutes without ramping up expectations. Free Agency and the CP competing strategies would do it and that discussion has nothing to do with expectation for the year.

Fair point. But it is hard to comment on free agency yet, except to not want to be a bottom 4 side. They will be eaten by the cicling vultures slowly.

Guest Thomo

I think Fan's point is if you are going to put on an event, provide quality, especially if it is priced at a premium. If the club wants to let its actions speak louder than words, that's fine, but don't advertise and charge an arm and a leg for non-events.

• Like 3

In my list of topics I'd be surprised if there aren't enough there to fill 10 mimutes without ramping up expectations. Free Agency and the CP competing strategies would do it and that discussion has nothing to do with expectation for the year.

What exactly did you want to hear about free agency Fan? What specifics of the plan to retain players could possibly be released that would appease you?

"We are going to be a more professional football club and win some games of footy, then players will want to stay here."

How about we just do it?

I think Fan's point is if you are going to put on an event, provide quality, especially if it is priced at a premium. If the club wants to let its actions speak louder than words, that's fine, but don't advertise and charge an arm and a leg for non-events.

I would never consider a speech by the senior coach a non event.
  • Like 1

What exactly did you want to hear about free agency Fan? What specifics of the plan to retain players could possibly be released that would appease you?

"We are going to be a more professional football club and win some games of footy, then players will want to stay here."

How about we just do it?

Simplistic.

Every side is trying to "just do".

Arguably, by having a club event, that is time they are "speaking", not "doing". On that argument, club events would be counter-productive. But they are not, they are important.

What Fan is rightly saying is that you don't have to be selling the family silver to explain what the challenges are, and the frameworks/perspectives being used to tackle them. That way you can consider whether you think that the approach of the coaches to the identified issues seems to make sense.

• Like 1

Simplistic.

No it really is that simple. Maybe this is part of the problem with the club. There is no need to complicate this. If the coach doesn't want us to know then so be it. I expect him to make these decisions in the best interests of the club.

I do not want my coach standing up in public outlining a bunch of plans that have been painstakingly discussed behind close doors (for good reason) to appease and entertain some members.

Paternalistic maybe, but it is a pattern following what the successful clubs tend to do.

Edited by dandeeman

"It's a bit more conversationalist over here. They'll sit," he says.

"There's a bit more short, sharpness down the road.

"Down here, it is, 'What do you feel about that?', 'What would the impact of that be?' and, 'How's that going to make him feel or her feel?'.

"I've spent the last four years 300m down the road. The clubs are completely different. I'm not saying what's right or wrong, I'm just saying how different clubs can be."

He did say he wants to do it his way and that he makes no apologies.I can understand a bit of "keep the cards close to chest" with media present. But I can also see the call for a 'bit of bang for your buck.'

I would suggest these ideas of entertainment should be forwarded to the club.

Regarding compensation picks, what can be gained from explaining intentions with media present ?

• Like 1

Personally i would have paid truckloads to hear Mark Neeld speak last night.

The little grabs i heard on the wireless this morning got me pumped again (along with the Neil Craig piece last night on the MFC website)

Simply if it is too hard around here, too bad. That is what it takes to become Top 4.

I think our coaches are actually going to demand and expect it this time.

Actions not words.

Here's the speech: http://embed.bigpondvideo.com/afl/430695

yet still people crave more...

That's why I looked forward to this event. I wanted more than I got at the B&F and the other speeches I've heard Neeld make.

You and I won't agree on this but I'm not asking for "family jewels". What sort of players do MFC think are at risk with FA? Marquee players, fringe players, role players? What are some examples (and he could use other clubs). What are the issues with the CP. What are the options - mature players, ND picks, a mixture? That's just informative and that's what I hoping for.

I don't expect a discussion on players or an explanation as to why Jordie Gysberts and Tom McDonald have had such little senior exposure. I don't want a run down on Liam Jurrah. But surely in footy and around our club there is enough to talk about other than the same old same old "we want to be elite and we'll leave no stone unturned". I've heard that from 1997 to now. If that's the message then I agree, don't bother saying it and if you aren't going to say anything interesting don't get up there and speak.

And don't call it a "commencement dinner" when all you do is look back.

I agree, I thought it was very ordinary and the whole night was a bit of a waste of time. I wouldn't be expecting any announcement on FOJ sponsor in the near future I think we are a long way off signing anything at this stage.

Value your opinion RobbieF

Was their some comment by someone that gave you the opinion we have no one close?

Does this mean that the One that was supposed to be close has bolted?

Can you expand please

Value your opinion RobbieF

1. Was their some comment by someone that gave you the opinion we have no one close?

2. Does this mean that the One that was supposed to be close has bolted?

3. Can you expand please

1. Yes.

2. Yes, for the moment.

3. No

That's why I looked forward to this event. I wanted more than I got at the B&F and the other speeches I've heard Neeld make.

You and I won't agree on this but I'm not asking for "family jewels". What sort of players do MFC think are at risk with FA? Marquee players, fringe players, role players? What are some examples (and he could use other clubs). What are the issues with the CP. What are the options - mature players, ND picks, a mixture? That's just informative and that's what I hoping for.

I don't expect a discussion on players or an explanation as to why Jordie Gysberts and Tom McDonald have had such little senior exposure. I don't want a run down on Liam Jurrah. But surely in footy and around our club there is enough to talk about other than the same old same old "we want to be elite and we'll leave no stone unturned". I've heard that from 1997 to now. If that's the message then I agree, don't bother saying it and if you aren't going to say anything interesting don't get up there and speak.

Having just watched Mark Neeld's speech last night on Dee TV, i cannot understand why you feel let down...he mapped out pretty well what he has done over pre season and how he intends to operate this year

What more can he say? He is yet to go into battle for 4 points at this stage..

In 12 months time his speech could be very different.

But i would have happily paid $195 for a seat to hear that speech.

I understand your thoughts, although free agency presently holds little interest for me as players will mainly move if they're fringe or want to play finals, but I also have sympathy for Dandeeman's view. I'm not a talkative kind of guy. 'Put your head over the ball and deliver', is my mantra. I've been making excuses for this footy club for 40 years, which is perhaps why I'm less conciliatory than others when it comes to players and former coaches. So more 'blue sky' talk holds little weight for me. I'll judge by my eyes.

But ultimately I tend to side with you, because if you're going to hold an event, ask people to pay for the privilege, and organise speeches, then FFS give them something. Tell them something they don't know rather than rely on their good will, fawning, or deep pockets.

Edited by Ben-Hur

I mean this with respect but I am bemused that you would expect him to talk about players that might nick off, or our drafting targets (I know you don't expect specifics). That is the type of information that I would expect Neeld to keep very much in house.

Did Dean Bailey present well at these types of dinners, how would you assess his performance?

I mean this with respect but I am bemused that you would expect him to talk about players that might nick off, or our drafting targets (I know you don't expect specifics). That is the type of information that I would expect Neeld to keep very much in house.

Did Dean Bailey present well at these types of dinners, how would you assess his performance?

I think you might have misread my post or alternatively I've expressed myself very poorly.

I'll leave it there. We just differ.

What sort of players do MFC think are at risk with FA? Marquee players, fringe players, role players? What are some examples (and he could use other clubs). What are the issues with the CP. What are the options - mature players, ND picks, a mixture?

I will let it go, but I don't know how I could possibly misread this^^.

I will just say this, Mark Neeld brings a new management style to the club, one that he has learnt from successful sources. I will not stand by and quietly watch him be undermined on these forums before he has fired a shot.

And no I don't think he is the Messiah, I do think there is a good chance that he could be a very successful footy coach if given room to operate to his own agenda ie. winning games of football.