Liam Jurrah wrist surgery

Whispering_Jack

Minor surgery? He won't be back until next year and you call that minor surgery? Don't accept mediocrity, Jack!

The worry is whether this surgery was required as a result of failed earlier treatment following his injury in the Gold Coast game at the end of the season. We've already seen a failure in Neville Jetta's original shoulder reco apparently requiring him to undergo further surgery which has affected his pre season so far.

I don't believe this reflects on the previous medicos at the club but it is a bit of a concern.

Minor surgery? He won't be back until next year and you call that minor surgery? Don't accept mediocrity, Jack!

I think it was originally thought that his wrist would heal, but it didn't so therefore the surgery.

He was already in the rehab group, they are now on a break, when the players return Liam will be ready to continue training, is the way I read it.

Next year isn't far off . He can still run .Relax .

I think for someone like Liam, a month missing the current high-intensity pre-season training regime, is a significant setback.

This surgery will not affect Liam's pre-season campaign.

He is expected to be back training with the main group in mid January.

I think they timed it over the 2 week break so he may only miss1-2 weeks max of training, most likely will run/jog laps as he has done anyway

I think they timed it over the 2 week break so he may only miss1-2 weeks max of training, most likely will run/jog laps as he has done anyway

Hopefully. But clubs do have a tenency to err on the side of a rosy prognosis with these types of things. Particularly our club which perennially seems to be on the receiving end of a pre-season injury curse.

Anyone else think it will be harder for Jurrah to crack the team next year, given what we know about Neeld and the emphasis he is placing on accountability etc, OR maybe he gets a free pass as an average of 3 goals a game on the G with our previous lackluster forward set up would only improve now?

A fit Jurrah is in our best 22 and has the potential to become a better player than his 35 games to date have shown us... More so with Clark and Watts likely to take tall defenders 1 & 2. The fact that Liam can lead from goals, fold back into an open forward line and is so good at crumbing makes him a weapon we are yet to fully utilise. The acquisition of Clark will be successful if Clarke can create space (draw defenders) to allow Liam and Watts to do the serious damage they are capable of. Plus if Liam (like Watts) can build his engine I'd love to see him as an outside midfielder, wing, finding space and creating opportunities down field.

Anyone else think it will be harder for Jurrah to crack the team next year, given what we know about Neeld and the emphasis he is placing on accountability etc, OR maybe he gets a free pass as an average of 3 goals a game on the G with our previous lackluster forward set up would only improve now?

Everything Neeld has said so far indicates life will be a lot harder for Jurrah in terms of getting a game, but when Neeld actually has to leave Jurrah out of a side then we will see whether he can back up his words. That said having a proper forward structure will help Jurrah if Jurrah can do all the things he needs to do - like know when to stay down and take his man away from a contest, chase, tackle and get in the right spots to crumb. Reading LJ's book it describes him as a really unselfish player, personally I didn't see him that way last year. 2012 will be a chance for him to prove he can be a great team player.

There's a number of elements to this, but it probably comes down to his aerobic fitness. He did not seem fully fit last year, and seemed to be carrying a leg injury, and assuming that his aerobic fitness will be better this year (notwithstanding the latest setback) I think he'll chase and harrass more. When he does chase & harrass, he does it really well.

I'm not all that worried about this ruining his training. He's been basically running so far, and last time I checked you don't need your wrist for that. I'm sure by the time they're back training in the new year he'll be able to do laps again and in a few weeks we'll see him taking part in the game drills too. Not a huge setback. It's the fitness that generally suffers in situations like this and his shouldn't.

Obviously needs to bulk up more, and it will be a long road for him body wise as he looks like another Morton frame wise. More time in the gym needed. When he chases he closes very quickly and can usually grab the opponents jumper, but lacks the strength to take an opponent down.

Shame about this wrist injury, no matter how minor it may appear, it is taking away golden pre-season training time.

With that said I'm looking for an improved Jurrah this year- if only for the impact Clark's presence will have on his game.

With that said I'm looking for an improved Jurrah this year- if only for the impact Clark's presence will have on his game.

I agree with that. I'm hoping for a huge step forward for LJ this year. While the addition of a focal point in our forward line is a huge bonus for him, I'm really hoping that the new focus at training on hard work and accountability will take for him and we'll see a fitter and harder working version of the magician.

The guy has apparently been worked and pushed very hard on his general fitness and stamina, which should be unaffected by wrist surgery.

I guess the question remains unanswered at this stage: just what was his wrist surgery? Some is minor; some such as for a scaphoid fracture can be a real problem. Those who remember the brilliant but mercurial Sean Charles may also remember that this was part of his downfall: that together with a "poor attitude" eg couldn't get him to attend training etc. Liam has been training, and training hard so I hope this won't be a I similar issue.

He is someone with "natural touch" so the fact that he has missed some of the ball work will IMO have less effect on him than some.

Provided that he is prepared to run and chase and harass, he should be in our best 22. The "presence" of Clark should make a huge difference to how he is matched up from an opposition point of view. Quick? Tall? Strong? Just who would be the best match up against a fit and fired up Liam? Were it vs us, probably Garland but would he keep up with him?

Let us all wish him a speedy recovery and an enthusiastic and focused 2012.

I'm constantly amused by the idea that all forwards have to be the walking adonis's of Nick Rewolt, Kouta ilk . LJ is slightly built and lean, I cannot or do not really want to see him bulk up. He looks lazy and laconic, but still manages to kick 40 goals this year. He is definitely in our best 22 and if he only does one piece of LJ magic a game, I'll still come away a happy man. Furthermore I don't think he will ever be the fittest player,opportunist forwards never seem to be. I just love the X factor he brings to the team